No announcement yet.

Shadows Fall - Bark at the Moon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Didn't know they released a 'deluxe edition' with bonus/cover tracks. Nice. Will have to check it out and the video - when I get home. Damn IT dept blocks a lot of stuff at work. I dig the band's music. Also they're cool guys. I've hung out with them a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
      The leads sound weird rhythmically and feel wise, dragging and not flowing, doesn't sound like they are played with enough confidence.
      Thats because they pasted this song together using Protools. This was put together in the studio. Thats not a bad thing... necessarily but in this case they killed the song. I can even hear the edits in the song. I spend a ton of time in the studio so I have a really good ear for edits, pastes, drag and drops, snap to grids and pitch and timing corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        There's a lot of different ways to do a cover song. I really like it when a band takes a song and really makes it their own. I haven't watched this video yet so I don't know what these guys has done.

Well... they didn't make the song their own. They did a nice job on the video though. If you just listen to the song without watching the video its unlistenable. This was obviously a fill in song put together using Protools or Sonar/Cakewalk.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          Thats because they pasted this song together using Protools. This was put together in the studio. Thats not a bad thing... necessarily but in this case they killed the song. I can even hear the edits in the song. I spend a ton of time in the studio so I have a really good ear for edits, pastes, drag and drops, snap to grids and pitch and timing corrections.

You know, i been starting to learn to use Reaper, and reading production forums and i was pretty surprised to find that alot of studio stuff is now cut and paste, which is sad.

I mean i'm sure there are a lot of bands out there who are playing their tunes themselves but it seems a common thing to do now is, well if the guitars aren't on time, quantize them to a grid, drums, especially metal, quantize them all to a grid even if the drummer would seemingly be pretty good at time keeping but not perfect just quantize it anyway to get the maximum perfection ect.

And of course now younger kids coming up hearing this kind of inhuman perfect synchronized production are Expecting it. So if someone records a disk and actually plays everything and maybe keeps the imperfections here and there, they are going to think it's crap or whatever turning everything into sterile might as well be computerized pop music.

Before i found this out, i would hear some band such as oh what the fuck they called - can't remember, everyone compares them to metallica of old - anyway someone showed me the conflagertion r something and i was like, fuck the drums sound insane. I don't know if it's the case with that, but i'd be willing to bet even tho they may have a good drummer or whatever it might as well have been a drum machine in the studio.

I can understand also someone saying, well these are the tools available today why not use them, but i guess it's just a really mixed feeling when you spend your life trying to be the best musician and now it's like just play a part, well quantize it and - fuck, might as well have a robot play it, or program it into a computer or something. I also understand that mostly the listening public probably doesn't care either way, all they care is does it sound good, but... kinda takes the magic away y'know.

I don't know if this cover was a protools cut and past, i mean the bands been around for a long time, i'm sure they can play the song. Maybe it was i dunno, but the vibe just wasn't there for me and i just thought the guitars lacked a certain punch, and was dull overall.

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
            Wow! Didn't know they released a 'deluxe edition' with bonus/cover tracks. Nice.
            I didn't know either. My girlfriend bought this CD last year some time, her friend borrowed it for quite awhile then gave it back, she listened to it once or twice then just gave it to me. I've been listening to it for the past week.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't mind bands using studio tools - I mean - what if Jimi and Eddie Kramer never twisted the pan knob to fly the guitar left to right - some cool shit has been done with studio tricks.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                I don't mind bands using studio tools - I mean - what if Jimi and Eddie Kramer never twisted the pan knob to fly the guitar left to right - some cool shit has been done with studio tricks.
                Big difference between producing a piece of art and sucking the life out of music. Studio tools were meant to give the last touch but now the guy behind the pro tools is doing most of the work instead of the musicians. It's not even in audio mixing category anymore, it has a lot more to do with IT and other computer geekiness. When one buys a new album and likes it, he/she should thank the dude with the mouse and keyboard instead of the performer. Kinda funny though as a lot of programmers in electronic music try to make their stuff sound more natural and human-like while real bands try to sound like robots.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The vid's kinda entertaining. They're not taking it seriously, but not totally makin fun like Killswitch's Dio cover. They should started with the singer having a a crewcut than have his dreads grow in when he turns!

I like Ozzy/Jake's better though. The outro solo is my fave part with Jake's superhuman fret stretch! live:
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Here's a similar era one I haven't seen before, but without the higher harmonizing part of the outro, but show's a closeup of the his fret stretching:
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  Last edited by MetalMedal II; 03-12-2011, 04:41 PM.
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                  X