Randy Rhoads ~ Blizzard/Diary recordings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    And yes, those albums were recorded separately. Daisley and Kerslake were hired for the studio and tour, then kicked for the first tour when they wanted more money, then re-hired for the 2nd album studio work, and replaced by Sarzo and Aldridge for the tour.

Ok, even still this would be a very short time for recording 2 albums. Many bands struggle mightily with their 2cd efforts and stall for years. Stylistically it was a big departure from the quiet riot stuff.

Newc, I believe that his tone would have certainly evolved to an extent. What a lot of kids don't realize nowadays is that all of these pro tools and advanced effect engines weren't available back in the day. The integrity of the musicians showed through. True there were still some tricks available(tape splicing, etc...).

It's even more impressive hearing that the solos on Diary were mere placeholders. I think MANY would be ecstatic to have throw away solos of that caliber, I certainly would.
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
      It's even more impressive hearing that the solos on Diary were mere placeholders. I think MANY would be ecstatic to have throw away solos of that caliber, I certainly would.
      Agreed! It's funny though, you can kinda tell what was just thrown in; Little Dolls always seemed like just something to have in there. It didn't seem like it was tripled like he normally did. Also, notice that the beginning passage of the solo in Believer is identical to how the first solo in Mr. Crowley begins. He didn't play it that way live, which tells me it wasn't intended to be permanent.

I ordered that new coffee table book on him and should be shipping next week. Totally looking forward to it. He was the best.

Sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

For being recorded closely together I think B of Oz and DOAM sound incredibly distinct. DOAM sounds darker, and better to me, maybe due to the rumored unintentional flat tuning?
        Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

I feel extremely lucky to have seen both tours. The Blizzard tour at the Long Beach Arena and the Diary tour on New Years eve at the LA Sports Arena. RIP Randy!

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
            I feel extremely lucky to have seen both tours. The Blizzard tour at the Long Beach Arena and the Diary tour on New Years eve at the LA Sports Arena. RIP Randy!
            Damn, I was too young then....bummer. I did see Ozzy/Metallica in '84 though.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The detuning thing I don't think was unintentional. Iommi stated that they were detuning for Ozzy's vocals before, but the lower they went, the higher he went

As well, Randy had his Jacksons for the Diary sessions, so that could account for the darker tones. His Concorde was not nearly as bright as his Les Paul or his Harpoon V, based on the tones in the After Hours video.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                His Concorde was not nearly as bright as his Les Paul or his Harpoon V, based on the tones in the After Hours video.
                Which is kinda funny, considering the Concorde was ALL maple with an ebony board.

Sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Whoopu2 View Post
                  Lol well it's still disputed to this day whether or not Ozzy "was fired" or "left". The answer varies depending on who you ask.
                  Disputed by who? :think: Sabbath gave him the boot (specifically Bill Ward was the one that told him).
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I thought Blizzard and Diary were great albums, but I never really cared for Randy's tone. His live tone was much fuller and better.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they did a 3 month of touring of Blizzard in Europe before heading back into the studio to record Diary of a madman.

As far as his tone, a bit too top heavy on Blizzard and MUCH better on Diary but neither sucked and he certainly didn't have ass tone live

Funny I just watched God Bless Ozzy Osbourne on HBO or Showtime last week, covers entire career of Oz. It was pretty cool.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                        Funny I just watched God Bless Ozzy Osbourne on HBO or Showtime last week, covers entire career of Oz. It was pretty cool.
                        I saw it, too. They didn't cover his whole career, as they made no mention of anyone after Randy... though, they did show Zakk.

Comment

Yeah, they toured for Blizzard, but I thought that they made it to the US for that, too.... Wasn't that NYC Palladium show the Blizzard tour?

Definitely wanna see that movie, but don't have HBO or Showtime. Hopefully it'll end up on Netflix or something.

Sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                            Which is kinda funny, considering the Concorde was ALL maple with an ebony board.

Sully
                            Did not know that. That sucker must be heavy.

I never heard anyone balk at Randys tone before, all these years till i read it on this forum.

I never noticed his tone having to much high end.. This is back when everything was a bit warmer due to analog, but the remasters to digital don't sound to high endy.
                            I guess i get the buzzsaw reference, but that is what was always cool about it...to me...it rips your face off.

It may be that because that was part of my intro to metal that to me is the sound. If it always sucked, i never knew and therfore it is grail.
                            The next best sound i heard come out of a guitar ( besides Iommi) was Jake on Rock and Roll Rebel that i recall...( or maybe Carlos sound on Metal Health) I loved VH back then as well, this stuff hit me all at the same time VH, Sabbath, and Ozzy...Maiden.
                            I never got wood from Eddies tone though, his playing yeah, but his guitar sound was nothing that stood out to me on the first few records.. Still isn't something i hold up and compare too.. I guess it's all perception, and how something influences you or sticks from memories or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                              Did not know that. That sucker must be heavy.

I never heard anyone balk at Randys tone before, all these years till i read it on this forum.

I never noticed his tone having to much high end.. This is back when everything was a bit warmer due to analog, but the remasters to digital don't sound to high endy.
                              I guess i get the buzzsaw reference, but that is what was always cool about it...to me...it rips your face off.

It may be that because that was part of my intro to metal that to me is the sound. If it always sucked, i never knew and therfore it is grail.
                              The next best sound i heard come out of a guitar ( besides Iommi) was Jake on Rock and Roll Rebel that i recall...( or maybe Carlos sound on Metal Health) I loved VH back then as well, this stuff hit me all at the same time VH, Sabbath, and Ozzy...Maiden.
                              I never got wood from Eddies tone though, his playing yeah, but his guitar sound was nothing that stood out to me on the first few records.. Still isn't something i hold up and compare too.. I guess it's all perception, and how something influences you or sticks from memories or whatever.
                              From what Mike said about it in Premier Guitar last year, it was made from Pacific (soft) maple, which is lighter than Rock Maple. But yeah, I’m sure it was still LP heavy. I’m with ya on the Randy tone thing, although Ed’s tone on VH1 blew me away when I heard it in 6th grade. Randy’s did too, though.

Sully
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I agree with this 100% Trem - I preferred Jake's tone over Zakk's, Vivian Campbell's (funny that he sort of "took over" from Jake) over Goldy et al., and yes - Sammy's voice over Dave's (that ought to get me kicked out of here!). When it's new and cool to you, I think it's what you hear first that can't be beat. Then again, I like Pantera's version of Planet Caravan better than Sabbath's. In the case of Ozzy/Sabbath, I'm glad they split up - I can't imagine not having "Ozzy" solo, or even Mob Rules without Dio. I liked both versions of Sabbath.

Comment

Working...
                                X