Fake Marshal stacks on stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Marshal stacks on stage

Saw this pix on facebook and according to the comments its not all that uncommon,with bands like Metallica and ACDC being mentioned
    directly as doing this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	533163_312492405513375_1031679816_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2451081
    “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Slayer & Megadeth too. Looks hella cool from the front though!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Old, but still worth a chuckle.

Geddy turned the concept into an ongoing joke about the backline.
      First there were washers and dryers, then this...the "Henhouse".
      Chicken roasters.
      Note the mic in front of the vent!

Most recently, sausage making machines.

Last edited by Cygnus X1; 08-11-2012, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I knew it! lol!

Comment

This can't be much of a surprise - just think of the logistics in terms of the sheer space / weight that Slayer's walls of Marshalls would take up. It's just not practical to move that much 'dead weight' around for every show.
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
            Old, but still worth a chuckle.

Geddy turned the concept into an ongoing joke about the backline.
            First there were washers and dryers, then this...the "Henhouse".
            Chicken roasters.
            Note the mic in front of the vent!

Most recently, sausage making machines.

Heh, I saw that tour. I didn't know the backstory so I sort of scratched my head at the chicken roasters. :think:

Comment

Can't tell you how many shows I have been back stage and seen the same thing.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

shit, as a local guy i used to have 3 dummy marshall cabs. they weren't quite as elaborate as those in that pic. mine were just beat up, unloaded cabs that filled my side of the stage. later on when vintage crap became desirable, i made a nice amount off those cabs!!
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I'd rather see Rush's backline than a wall of fakes. I mean, if you're going to not even use the amps, throw out something ridiculous. Then again, I can't imagine Rush's stage props are as cheap as Marshall falsies

Maybe some blow-up dolls with mics in front of their holes
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I saw it first hand.All through the early 80's. Priest did it all the time, so did ACDC. All for the "Wall of Marshalls " look. Shit, all you needed was 35 watts and a 12 inch speaker mic'd through the PA. But there were metal bands that played a few lines of stacks hot. It did make a different sound. Also gave some of us 'hearing" issues.

Comment

Nobody but the fans want to stand directly in front of a real backline cranked up. :P

I feel like a grumpy old man for saying that.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        Nobody but the fans want to stand directly in front of a real backline cranked up. :P

I feel like a grumpy old man for saying that.
                        Yeah but its true though, you'd be deaf by 40, at least for the midrange.

But I wonder about all this image fakery....does this mean WASP and Alice didn't actually torture girls to death on stage back in the day?.....I feel cheated now...
                        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

is the band in the photo KREATOR? just asking if anyone knows ,looks like mille petrozza

Comment

The best ever is the fake marshals that spinal tap had in their majesty of rock video. Brilliant!!! Go YouTube it. Hilarious!!!
                            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Back in the day, a wall of stacks was perceived by fans as, "These dudes are rich and good."

Years ago, my friends band got a call to open locally for a small 80's hair band that was coming to town. It wasn't an arena show but a small/mid-sized theater event. Probably XYZ, Babylon AD, Enuff ZNuff - something like that. My friend was intimidated by the thought that their bar rigs would be laughed off the stage. They went around to all of the local music stores begging, borrowing all the Marshalls and Ampeg stacks. They set up a walls of stacks on stage (but only running their usual amps). When the headliner band arrived, they didn't have the wall of amps as seen on MTV. They saw the local band's setup and freaked out. The headliners called all over the area for stacks of amps, but every store had just "sold" out. So that night, my friend's band upstaged the headliners in the smoke and mirrors dept.

Comment

Working...
                              X