Favorite Scorpions/Ozzy(Solo) Lead Guitarist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Scorpions/Ozzy(Solo) Lead Guitarist

Ok guys, lets get some debates going..............here are my thoughts.......I know Horns is a huge Uli fan and Schenker(Michael) was great too but I think Matthias was killer with his tone and clarity and has carried the Scorpions through the majority of their carrers......As for Ozzy....Had Randy have lived and it would be no question and I love Zakk but under the circumstances I would choose Jake.......I think his ability is very under-estimated.....JMIO.......What are your thoughts..... Oh, also Rudolph is a very under-rated rhythm guitarist.....MM

Two different topics, no comparison (if that's what you are suggesting).
    Randy, and Uli.

Comment

Huge Uli and Schenker fan. I don't even think about Michael Schenker's time in the Scorpions. The Scorpions, in my opinion, were two different bands. With Uli, they were a growing 70's band with an incredible guitarist. When Matthias came on board right about the time of the 80's explosion, the Scorpions totally embraced the time period. Even though I pretty much worship Uli, I think Matthias is one of the reasons the Scorpions became what they were. His playing fit the time period - flashy with technique, but he still had the euro-flavor/melodic lines at times. I also think Matthias is an incredible guitarist and often overlooked.
      I believe I am also in the smaller group of fans that actually think Uli's recordings and playing AFTER the Scorpions has been leaps and bounds better than what he achieved in the Scorpions.

As far as Ozzy goes, without Randy I would choose Jake. I think Jake was a great song writer and performer. I prefer his playing on the Badlands recordings to anything he did with Ozzy.

Comment

Uli and Randy.

Comment

Scorpions - whoever played on the 80s hits they had (Rock you like a hurricane, the zoo, noone like you, etc). I don't listen to them and don't know who their guitarists were/are.

Ozzy - Randy

Comment

I think Mattias was hugely underrated. When Uli left they replaced him with another Badass, That's pretty much it. Mattias had to play Ulis' stuff too.
            I'm also a huge fan the their first album with Michael, even though it's very young.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
              Huge Uli and Schenker fan. I don't even think about Michael Schenker's time in the Scorpions. The Scorpions, in my opinion, were two different bands. With Uli, they were a growing 70's band with an incredible guitarist. When Matthias came on board right about the time of the 80's explosion, the Scorpions totally embraced the time period. Even though I pretty much worship Uli, I think Matthias is one of the reasons the Scorpions became what they were. His playing fit the time period - flashy with technique, but he still had the euro-flavor/melodic lines at times. I also think Matthias is an incredible guitarist and often overlooked.
              I believe I am also in the smaller group of fans that actually think Uli's recordings and playing AFTER the Scorpions has been leaps and bounds better than what he achieved in the Scorpions.

As far as Ozzy goes, without Randy I would choose Jake. I think Jake was a great song writer and performer. I prefer his playing on the Badlands recordings to anything he did with Ozzy.
              You bring up alot of good points...Uli is the more technically proficient guitarist....I just like Matthias' playing better and the songs better.......To be honest I am very torn between Randy and Jake, on one hand the songs Jake produced were awesome but so were Randy's songs....there is no question Randy was the better guitarist and would have only gotten better....I know most will pick Randy as the favorite and to be honest that is my feeling too but I had to throw Jake out there for arguments sake and to give him some props...MM
              Last edited by METAL MANIAC; 09-16-2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Codex View Post
                Scorpions - whoever played on the 80s hits they had (Rock you like a hurricane, the zoo, noone like you, etc). I don't listen to them and don't know who their guitarists were/are.

Ozzy - Randy
                That would be Matthias Jabs.............Their guitarist consisted of Michael Schenker, Uli Jon Roth and Matthias Jabs on lead and Rudolph Schenker on Rhythm(Michael's older brother).
                Last edited by METAL MANIAC; 09-16-2012, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Randy. Mr. Crowley solos. That is all ....says the guy with 'rhoads' in his name lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                    Two different topics, no comparison (if that's what you are suggesting).
                    Randy, and Uli.
                    No, my meaning is that these two bands have had multiple guitarist and all of those guitarist are great in their own right..........and I wanted to explore the opinions of the board as to their favorites. I like to hear opinions becuase sometimes it brings up valid points I may not have taken into consideration..........:idea:

Comment

Uli and Randy

Simple.

If there was no Uli there would be no Schenker... either of them.
                      If there was no Uli there would be no Malmsteen or any other neo classical player. Remember.. Uli was shredding neo classical in the 70's.

If there was no Randy there would be no Ozzy solo career. He is the sole reason Ozzy had a solo career.
                      At the time.. there was virtually no guitar players that played like Randy except for Uli.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        Uli and Randy

Simple.

If there was no Uli there would be no Schenker... either of them.
                        If there was no Uli there would be no Malmsteen or any other neo classical player. Remember.. Uli was shredding neo classical in the 70's.

If there was no Randy there would be no Ozzy solo career. He is the sole reason Ozzy had a solo career.
                        At the time.. there was virtually no guitar players that played like Randy except for Uli.
                        Good points but I think you may mis-understand my question........it has nothing to do with who would have been here had it not been for someone else........I mean there are always players who influenced others but that does not mean they are better than the ones they influenced....this means who is your favorite because of the way they sound, because of the songs they produced etc.....Let's take your example of Uli and Yngwie(you know I can't resist taking the bait)...... I don't think from a techinical view that anyone will really be able to present a truly valid arguement that Yngwie is not the superior player when it comes down to it....now the difference is your personal tatse...You may like Uli's tone, songs, etc.. better or you may like Randy's tone, songs, etc.. better and that is what I am trying to achieve but I am not trying to subject the question to position due to someone that came first...I realize your answers probably will stay the same but I wanted to give you something to think about.............MM
                        Last edited by METAL MANIAC; 09-16-2012, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Scorpions.......Matthias (probably)

Ozzy.............well the problem here is everyone he has had is insane, yet each was/is very different.
                          While Gus G is doing a good job, I would've prefered he stay in Dream Evil.

Comment

hmmm, i am a huge scorpions fan. while each period in their career gave us good songs/music, i personally prefer the variety in their 70s material. i like how you had the uli songs and then the more generic schenker/meine songs. because of that, i am gonna say i prefer uli - though as (myself) as a player i more in the matthias corner of playing.

as far as ozzy, i pretty much hate ozzy and the only songs of his i like are from jake was on guitar, so i will go with jake!!
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                              Scorpions.......Matthias (probably)

Ozzy.............well the problem here is everyone he has had is insane, yet each was/is very different.
                              While Gus G is doing a good job, I would've prefered he stay in Dream Evil.
                              Yeah, you are exactly right and all these guitarist from both bands are insane! There really is no wrong answer...just personal taste.......

I personally think Zakk got screwed! No offense to Gus G but for my taste Zakk was and is better............
                              Last edited by METAL MANIAC; 09-17-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X