No announcement yet.

New Randy Rhoads Book!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$100 for a book is a bit steep. I'll wait until its at half-price.

The QR stuff I don't care about really. I have a DVD wit a lot of that. There are hints of Randy's brilliance bt in my opinion, the songs and band pretty much sucked other than Randy.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I hear ya. I'm getting it because I do like some of the shots I've seen from that era, but I totally agree that QR was not his shining moment. Nice to see where a lot of things came from, though.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ummm...no. Nothing against Randy, but I have ALL the music, info, pics, vids, and interviews I need to over-quench my thirst. Just as Jimi..Criss Oliva..Dime..Gary Moore.. George Lynch..ect. May they RIP.

Any fan would have everything possible. I don't need to know his fuggin' shoe size..7... and how he loved to pee in his wading pool when he was age 6. We know more about Randy, and Jimi than Jesus the Christ. THE LORD.. He was born in a manger..he did some silly things..then crucified like countless others ..The End. Roll credits.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

If Randy were alive today, i would wager money that he would be one of the leaders of the stop cutting the arts and
          music programs out of schools. And not the Vanilla type commercials you see with the guy from the goo goo dolls, i think Randy would
          really be up in arms over it being that he was a teacher. If he lived, and they say he wasn't exactly happy at the end there with Ozzy and how he spoke of going back to school
          for classical degree, etc. where do you think his life would have led to? i think he would have hung on for a couple of more albums and tours
          as they would have been great albums as Randy was still developing as opposed to peaking in my opinion, and then maybe gone for his degree after.
          It's something i have always thought about, would he have had the balls and trueness to himself to leave a situation that was really starting to steamroll
          in popularity, not to mention the money, in order to achieve personal happiness instead? it's easy to look back and call the shots from the year 2012, but
          what would that degree do for him in the long run? yes of course he could teach at any school of his choice probably, but would that have been enough for him
          in the end? This guy was a rocker, and I think it would have been a mistake to leave , at least at the time they were at. But if you're not happy, then you're not happy, and hats off to a guy who even thought of doing something like that.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Hell, even moreso how would Ozzy have differed with Randy still alive? Would Zakk ever have gotten his foot in the door? Would Jake E. Lee have been discovered and would he have ever met Ray Gillen and formed Badlands? It's a butterfly effect. I just look at most other guitarists from that time and how they evolved and imagine what Randy would have been able to do. For all we know, the guy's presence could have single-handedly changed the 80's. Or, his impact could have been lessened since part of his legacy was his tragic death.

Personally, I see him continuing his education, getting his degree and becoming the Vai/Satriani/Yngwie solo virtuoso type. He'd talked about how he felt he wasn't really able to express his classic influences in Ozzy's band. Perfect solution would be breaking out on his own. Just imagine though: G3 with Satch, Steve and Randy.

Who knows though...

Comment

I think he would have been a very unique answer to the Super guitarists of the world, as his songwriting ability
              was really way up there in the first place, and that's half the game, maybe more.

Comment

These are good valid points, but right now we invaded Mars! Our craft is now zapping a small ancient pyramid. How would we like if their HUGE craft to come here and humped our ancient pyramids !! I myself would love it. I want the Martian craft to hover above the washington monument on live TV...open up and say "ahhhhh", then lovingly go all the way down to the base..up, down, slow, deep and hard. I'd be in that pond with Forrest Gump and Jenny cheering!!!

But two things. Randy would not think of that..Vai prolly would. Then, Randy would appreciate, hut think we're nuts spending $$$ much on old pics and shit. He'd much rather love. support his works instead. All the other Ozzy mentioned players would have been established amoung our circles, because they were damn good. Maybe not household names. Which is fine by me , because most of our faves are unknows to common people. Ask random people if they know who Paul Gilbert, Satch, Vai, Ynqwie, Jeff Loomis, Gary Moore, John Sykes, Uli, Randy Rhoads....ect. No..they like the radio, TV ect... They may know "Crazy Train" but that's Ozzy..period. I'd say Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Chuck Berry, and BB King are names people know. When Dio died..we were sad. I told my dad..he's like "who's that"? "Do you know Man on the Silver Mountain?"..."Yeah..."..."That guy"....."Ooooh..." ..and that's it.

I'd much rather spend money on his past works I don't have..like Elf. Wendy is the antithesis of Sharon. I have all Randy's works. Oh, what about the works of Tony Iommi, and the unknown singer that finished the 'Heaven and Hell' tour along with Glen Hughes? Tony said the man is a brilliant singer and you should check him out. Did anyone listen to that? I already knew..and have ALL his stuff too..Jorn Lande. The sticker price of this book, even half..would cover listening to new/old music for those that are truly worthy. Instead we tend to fixate, stagnate on a handful of players. Much like the media/people fixate on everything ..Kim K...Justin Bieber..the Jonas Bros ..Casey Anthony...OJ..ect while worse crimes are being commited in their backyard, but too tunnel visioned, obsessed...on whatever is promoted for money and ratings ect Tell me honestly...I'm right.

Knowing Randy..he would be on board with that. He would be flattered for sure. He was a focused humble, cool man, that wanted to challenge himself and evolve. He prolly would be playing with the players we know and love including Dio (could you imagine), and amazing muscians..and we would buy that!! He was and would be even better if he maintained his passion, and not letting anything control him or get in the way.

We are humping the Martian surface. Billions of dollars to fuck a rock...and I love that!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

speaking of unknown singers of Sabbath William, when my band first got out here from new york, it was without our singer who stayed home
                  and left to join another group back home in the city. so the guy backing our band out here, Lenny, after i played him our demo, he was
                  was going apeshit, he loved our songs, and he had connections and was instrumental in getting the Bullet Boys signed and in two days he had hooked us up with a guy named dave Donato, who did some work with sabbath. it didn't work out though, we were alot younger than he was, not that that means anything but we were going in a different musical direction than what he was looking for. he wanted keyboards and from what i sensed a little more theatrical atmosphere when we were actually branded master original lineup VH sound alikes but with our own tunes, which was cool, but not good at the same time, there were so many others with that same handle. But, it did lead to me becoming pretty good pals wioth Marq from the bullet boys and we always had a rip whenever we hung out, he's
                  an easy person to chill out with, at least for me. the fate of the band was epic and hilarious, another story, another time.

Comment

Tommy, I want to go smooth up in ya.

Comment

The Rhoads family is suing the author and the publisher

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mo...sitemID=184604

edit: A link from Bob Daisley's site recounting his dealings with the Authors. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I did get a copy of the book and it's fairly large. I've only read a small fraction of it, but I am glad that I got it.

http://www.bobdaisley.com/content/ra...ley-speaks-out
                      Last edited by Sharkfin; 01-09-2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I kinda sensed when I got my copy that this would be a very limited run....at the time nothing was coming from the Rhoads family supporting this book....it was pretty obvious it wasn't sanctioned.

I was telling every one I knew about the book and to HURRY! if you wanted one. So HURRY! if you want one.

Pretty messy & sordid behind the scenes crap going on but who knows what the real story is.....I'm just glad I got one.
                        Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Yeah, but the Rhoads family doesn't have to sign off on it; anyone can write a book, ya know? Was fortunate enough to spend some time with the Author back in October and we talked about the book and the movie for a couple of hours. Andrew was working on the book before the movie started, and some of the major contributors have appeared on various radio shows with him. From our conversation, it seems that everyone around Randy (including his family) is really dysfunctional.

I'm hoping for the best on this one; I know that Andrew's not making anything on this and the whole project was a massive financial undertaking for him; he shared that even if he sells all of the first printing, he'll still be in the red on it.

Sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The whole book publishing thing is like being in a band you spend more money making the product than you get from the project.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah, true, but there were things that he could have done to make it less expensive (make it smaller, paperback, use the more commonly seen pictures). I'm glad he didn't, for sure. I really hope that the case is dismissed.
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Horns is probably the only one here that will be familiar with this other than Cleveland Metal.

It was ruined years ago,but I had a cassette recording from 3/19/82 where the DJ on WMMS made the announcement about him being killed,and as a tribute the next song was S.A.T.O. I've only heard that tune on the radio a few times in my life. Tommy D.
                                "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Working...
                                X