Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Phil Collen have a new Silver Crackle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Phil Collen have a new Silver Crackle?

I just watched Viva: Hysteria and noticed that for several songs Phil sported a silver crackle Jackson.

Anybody know if this is his original or did he get a new one?

That is indeed Phil's original 80's Crackler that was heavily worked on just prior to the show by Jackson. It now has the sustainer unit as well as some Ti bling from Adam Reiver from Fu Tone.com

What is really cool is the stripped down sustainer that was installed. No additional knobs and just the two mini switches for an uncluttered look.
    Last edited by vklobucar; 11-23-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

interesting. didnt that guitar had a kahler on it originally?
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

yup!

Comment

Was cool to see Phil playing that old soloist. Didn't realize/notice it had a sustainer in it too.

Comment

I like it. that guitar is a classic.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Agreed. That's some nice crackle.

Comment

I'd love to see a clear close-up pic to see how they 'hid' the kahler holes, or if it's just the crackle makes them 'disappear'..

Last edited by neilli; 11-24-2013, 01:00 PM.
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Phil is obviously not scared to mod this guitar as its had its share of tweaks over the years. The Kahler was dumped in favour of a Schaller floyd in the early 90's and that was swapped out for an OFR a few years later. The Kahler style behind the nut locknut was pulled and a proper floyd nut installed as well.

Pickups were Dimarzio Super 3's until the Sustainer was installed.

Kind of surprised that Phil did not just leave this one alone and has Jackson built a new 2012 Crackle to his tastes but I guess its a well toured and played axe that he just loves.

BTW does anyone else notice the rounded over headstock tip just like his Bela and Archtops too?

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                    Phil is obviously not scared to mod this guitar as its had its share of tweaks over the years.
                    That's just like his Bela - that started life with a Kahler fulcrum trem, then had a regular Kahler, now a Floyd, plus it had (I think) a 3 pot setup originally that gradually got refined to what it is now, holes and all..
                    Popular is not the same as good
                    Rare is not the same as valuable
                    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Here is a close up shot courtesy of a cool friend...

Comment

What's up w/the last inlay on that crackle & bela??

Comment

His name of course!

Comment

vklobucar I should have known you'd have the answer for me!

I'm also happy it's the original crackle. It's just that with the Sustainer and the Floyd it looked new. Plus it showed up superb under the lights for a guitar that old.

Comment

Thanks!

His tour played guitars are in remarkable shape given that some of them are nearly 30 years old. Well played but well cared for too.

Besides nowadays its pretty much his Supreme and PC1 that gets played.

Comment

Working...
                              X