This guy is IMO the best guitarist of my generation:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
    I don't think that either Nuno or Reb were overlooked. They were on the cover of just about every metal magazine back in the 80's. They have numerous instructional video's and endorsements and they have hit songs and albums and they are still both relevant after all these years. Nuno is in Rihanna's band.
    Both great players with completely different techniques. Great writers. Really great.
    Regarding being the best guitarist in your generation... that's subjective but they are certainly up there with guys like Steve Vai, George Lynch, Warren Demartini, EVH, Jake E Lee, Randy Rhoads, Mick Mars, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen etc... There were so many great players at that time its hard to list them all.

Nowadays guys like Guthrie Govan are blazing new trails. He is so amazing and so versatile it almost doesn't seem fair.
    Apart from the endorsements, both also had/have signature guitars that are still available & wrote columns in guitar magazines. Always enjoyed Reb's GW column. I would argue that both are better songwriters than a lot of the exalted 'name' players of that period too.

Guthrie is astounding. I loved his work with Guitar Techniques magazine, not because I was going to be able to play much of it but just because he's great to listen to. Especially his All Star Jams, where on something like a blues jam, he'd mimic guys like Eric Clapton & T-Bone Walker and work his way through different players & approaches, increasing in intensity & difficulty through SRV, Eric Johnson, McLaughlin & Scofield, to Paul Gilbert, Yngwie & Vai. He really can do it all.

And like Gilbert, he's only too happy to share the knowledge. You want to know how he does something? He'll break it down and explain it all to you.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

You have all listed some great players. "Best" is always gonna be very subjective because we all have different tastes. I encourage everyone to take the time to listen to Mattias Eklundh. He is based out of Japan so many have never been exposed to him but he is awesome. Check him out on YouTube and enjoy. Also, if you get a chance, check out Caparison guitars. Excellent quality and awesome necks.

Comment

Nobody overlooked Nuno but he did have a very serious drawback. He would tear into a killer solo like Beethoven gone mad but would do it in a song about duck duck goose.

Comment

Working...
        X