Dio 'Invisible' vs Motley Crue 'Shout at the Devil'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dio 'Invisible' vs Motley Crue 'Shout at the Devil'

Maybe this is long established and I missed out, but is it me, or did Crue totally rip off Invisible for most of the song 'Shout at the Devil'?
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

I don't know, they both came out within a few months apart, but hey both bands would play the LA scene. Always a chance they heard them jamming on it at a sound check or something. One things I do know is Viv was on point on that album. He should have kept trying to be the next Gary Moore!
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'd say since Vivian is a known "Douch" and Mick Mars is a cool dude, Vivian ripped of Mick F-ing Mars

Comment

Yeah, there wasn't a ton of time between them, but the Dio album was out 4 months earlier - of course, anything 'could' have happened including blind coincidence, but that seems unlikely..

Comment

The riff and tempo are vaguely similar but the vibe is totally different.

Comment

Oh sure, they're different songs, but the similarity was striking to me when I first heard 'invisible' (which I admit was about 2 weeks ago cos I only just got Holy Diver LOL)

Comment

How neilli...just how. Hah I like Mick mars and all, but I would have to give the benifit of the doubt to Vivian.
              I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Stand up and shout + invisible = inspiration to the crue?
                I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

The Crue were okay but never been a big fan, Dio on the other hand

I'd say each was it's own song.

Comment

Big fan of both back in the day but I don't notice a similarity that makes me go "Hmmmmmmm......."

Each progression sounds unique to me, although they, like many songs of that era probably dance around some of the same power chords.
                    Jackson KV2
                    Jackson KE1T
                    Jackson KE1F
                    Jackson SL1

Comment

Those 2 songs and about 1000 other songs from the 80's that all have the same riffs. How about Fantasy by Aldo Nova and Jane by Starship? I could write a novel full of similarities. Currently... that song by Coldplay and the instrumental by Joe Satriani. That's pretty much a total rip off.

Comment

Mick Mars is cool. Vivian is a douche. That's a perfect description.

Comment

I can't remember the name of the song or the band, but there is a classic rock song that reminds me more of Shout At The Devil more than this. It's almost the same riff only slower and less distorted.

You want another one check out AC/DCs Night of the Long Knives riff, that riff is very reminiscent of Dr. Feelgood, and the Crue share a few song titles with AC/DC as well. Definitely an influence on Nikki Sixx.

Dave Mustaine is a huge Maiden fan, listen to Washington Is Next and Wasted Years. There is a song on Danzig's Circle of Snakes, think it's My Darkness that is pretty much Sweet Leaf by Sabbath. Not a Killswitch Engage fan, but the one song they released the riff sounded like Prong's Who's Fist Is This Anyway to me. And I read where Gene Simmons said "Duece" is just the Stones' "Bitch" backwards.

But it happens, artists "borrow" inspiration. I have heard riffs by bands and thought to myself, "That would have been cooler if they went here with it, or added this to it." It's not exactly ripping, it's expanding...well unless you're Coldplay, then that's just ripping off
                          I DESPISE ROSEWOOD WITH A PASSION!!!

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                            Oh sure, they're different songs, but the similarity was striking to me when I first heard 'invisible' (which I admit was about 2 weeks ago cos I only just got Holy Diver LOL)
                            lol

I saw Dio on the Holy Diver tour... 1983 I think... Queensryche had just released their 4 song EP and nobody really knew who they were. They weren't glam at that point, they dressed and acted like Judas Priest on stage, except more black leather and no colors... and that was the first drummer I had seen live play double bass drums really really heavy.

Saw Motley Crue for their Shout tour. Hard to say which show was better... they were both on top of their game at that point.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                            X