Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys that were teens in the 80's....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys that were teens in the 80's....

....remember how you wanted to go and buy a guitar so you could be just like that heavy metal guitar MONSTER that you heard?

Yeah I was one of those kids. I figured out the 1st part and got the guitar....hasn't really progressed much from there other than now having a fairly sizable guitar collection at 46 years old.

But THIS kid....HOLY SHIT....he's got it ALL down. After playing guitar for only 5 years (fucker).

Jacob Deraps, 16 years old, playing Van Halen's I'm the One. Hope you enjoyed this video, please, give a like and share if you did !Amp: Marshall Class 5Guit...
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Yep! Those were great years! And just like you, I, too, have a nice guitar collection now! And some have flashy colors!

The kid is not bad and he has one of those cool Strat from the 80s.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

That kid kills. Taking nothing from him, you'll remember years ago you were lucky if you found a copy of a tab book. I had a few, and some of them are to blame for making me play old songs completely wrong.

Now between guitar tab pro, backing tracks and watching people do lessons of every song you can imagine on YouTube, it's easier for them, and for us. Remember frustratingly re-winding for the 1000th time to figure out what you were hearing? Now it's click and set the phrase on loop and get after it. We could get to heavy rip too with those tools! We just don't have the time to put into it like a 16 year old would.

I play better today than I did in 1989.... But in 1989 I was better relative to what's around. See what I'm saying? Anyone who wants to now can get to a fair level of proficiency without that much effort. Clearly that kid got there and then just kept pushing.

Comment

Yeah, there's definitely easier ways to get the info now, but the kids still have to put the work it. It's just they're better able to direct it. Then you can get decent gear for so little money comparatively..

Of course, the other thing is that with the internet, we can all see these teenage prodigies, whereas in 1987 the fact that you could shred up a storm in your bedroom stayed there.
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
          Yeah, there's definitely easier ways to get the info now, but the kids still have to put the work it. It's just they're better able to direct it. Then you can get decent gear for so little money comparatively..

Of course, the other thing is that with the internet, we can all see these teenage prodigies, whereas in 1987 the fact that you could shred up a storm in your bedroom stayed there.
          I agree. No insult intended to that kid....he's clearly born with some talent and has cared for it. On gear- dead on again. I never ever saw "shred" guitars growing up except one my buddy had- some sort of Kramer. Other friend I jammed with had a Warlock. And there I was, banging out Maiden on a USA strat, SSS. Guy who owned the local music store talked me out of routing it for a Floyd Thank heaven he did, love that old beast.

Pop music isn't very guitar driven these days, but who gives a fuck. Never been easier to find people to jam with or gear to whore or new music to hear or songs to learn.

Comment

Awesome thread! Reading you guys brings back some cool memories.
            JB aka BenoA

Comment

Check out his other vids

I want that kids tone

that kids talent

but especially

his fucking YOUTH lol
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I've seen that video before. Kid is definitely awesome!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm 45 and my first "non-strat" dream guitar was Mick Mars black BCR Warlock - I could only see it in Circus mag. Then when MTV showed up a short time later, Robbin Crosby's black roundhorn in Round and Round made me lust after a Jackson of my own. Didn't happen until I was 40. Amazing how things have changed since the days of snail mail catalogs, Circus and MTV.

Comment

Way easier for kids these days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_lelBk2ycY he has only been playing a little over 2 years. learned most of what he knows from youtube. I started playing in the mid eighties with no family help and no lessons, took me 10 years to get that good and do it live.

Comment

Most of the really cool guitars I saw were hanging in music stores, not in my room!

I'll agree access to information on how to play is much easier these days. Just like the guys who played before my age group who learned by moving the needle on the record player thought we had it easy with cassettes and tab magazines. So it's just a thing.

The real test in any generation is who takes the time and dedicates the effort and discipline needed to learn the guitar. One thing that hasn't changed is that playing guitar isn't easy. There have always been naturals, but even they have to work at it. If this kid got that good in a short time, no doubt he has some natural ability. And with so many distractions out there, it's nice to see kids doing what we did and wanting to play and be good at it too.

Now the kid already playing live? That's quite impressive. I realize he never looked up from the fretboard. But you gotta admit, playing in your bedroom and playing in front of people is a whole different ballgame.

Comment

The kid is good, but Eddie was that age when he was writing AND playing some of that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                          Most of the really cool guitars I saw were hanging in music stores, not in my room!
                          I, too, noticed this. Probably got parents behind him...

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                          I'll agree access to information on how to play is much easier these days. Just like the guys who played before my age group who learned by moving the needle on the record player thought we had it easy with cassettes and tab magazines. So it's just a thing.

The real test in any generation is who takes the time and dedicates the effort and discipline needed to learn the guitar. One thing that hasn't changed is that playing guitar isn't easy. There have always been naturals, but even they have to work at it. If this kid got that good in a short time, no doubt he has some natural ability. And with so many distractions out there, it's nice to see kids doing what we did and wanting to play and be good at it too.
                          Could not agree more. I takes time, dedication and commitment. As I'm the parent of a 16 years old, who's a very good drummer, he could be a way more better if he would just stop playing video games and put that time into practicing.
                          JB aka BenoA

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            The kid is good, but Eddie was that age when he was writing AND playing some of that stuff.
                            I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. - Vim Fuego
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

nice LOL
                              Popular is not the same as good
                              Rare is not the same as valuable
                              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Working...
                              X