Best metal composers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best metal composers...

In my opinion, Shadow Fall is the best. They put something really difficult into a spot that most guitarists couldn't dream of, and it sounds awesome. They do all of this, and it doesn't sound the same.

Just my opinion. What do you guys think?

Re: Best metal composers...

DIO for me with his melodic voice lines. But really, it depends on what you call 'Metal'
    Judas Priest Rocks, too. It's soooooo British!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      They put something really difficult into a spot that most guitarists couldn't dream of

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't say they're too technical afaiheard them , altough their lead player has some nice solos.
      as far as connecting technicality and rhythm tracks i'd say most death metal bands (think cryptopsy , d.fetus.,etc . ya know , sweepotaps during rhythm section in 200 bpm etc ;p )

I'd say the first machinehead is composed really good
      reinventing the steel of pantera is imho composed very good , i learned much about composing from that record.

Comment

ME.....cause in my band it's just me ....and I love my music ...I just hope others do ... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Wow seriously ...wow that a pretty broad question ....too many to even contemplate ..

w/ bands like Death / King Diamond & MF / Nevermore / Old Preist / Sabbath / Old Ozzy / Dio / Halford / old Queensryche / Savatage may they RIP / Old Megadeth / old VH / Rising force ....etc etc. etc etc and yada ..

they set the standards and raised the bar.....for everything and everyone we love today ...

impossible question to answer it's a matter of taste ....

check my list ....that is the best that metal has to offer ....and I'm not nearly done with it ....and it's just the clean vocal list...only one side of the coin...

Metal is a such an infinite sea of talent that I'd could honestly say maybe just a little more than 50% has been discovered .....the best metal albums are being made as we speak...we just didn't hear it yet..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

ohh **** i forgot Death :o

of course most of Bills list should be also in mine :o

Comment

To say a band is the best one must hear them ALL ...I'm probably of one of very few that comes close to that ...with 5000+ metal library and growing too fast....."I have such sights to show you"

as far as Shadows Fall and the like ...great guys ..partied my ass with those fags from PA....they took what Sweden and Finland have been doinf for decades and incorpaorated inro their own style ...which is very good ...

but if were not for bands like In Flames / Soilwork / Dimension Zero / Eucarist / Sacriledge and so on ....SF probably wouldn't sound like they do nor would my music as well...as many others like Lamb of god / Himsa / Byzantine and so many others now coming out of the woodwork ....

I'm glad metal is back ...I never thought it would be somewhat popular again after starving us of metal and forcing EBONICS down our throats for over twenty years...in the mainsteam...

But who listens to what the Mainstream dictates ...I never did and never will... F U C K Them and Metallica too .....even though they were gods at one time themselves.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

heaps of awesome writers out there, but for me the ones that stick out:
              Necrophagist's main dude, the guy who wrote onset...
              Dissection's Jon Nodtveidt
              Falkenbach's main guy
              Opeth
              Marduk's guitarist is fuckin brilliant
              Abbath
              Alexi Laiho
              Guitarist from Emperor who is now in zyklon
              Naglfar's main dude.....Just to name a few
              ....almost forgot, Dark Funeral are brilliant also.
              cheers

Comment

Judas Priest---Sad Wings of Destiny
                Metallica----Master of Puppets
                Malmsteen----Marching Out and Rising Force
                Anything from Accept
                Geez.... there are just too many greats.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  To say a band is the best one must hear them ALL ...I'm probably of one of very few that comes close to that ...with 5000+ metal library and growing too fast.....".

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say you are one of the very few with a collection like that...

You are indeed the JCF metal guru, since you can back up what you say on this topic, and probably know more bands than most people have ever even heard of

Comment

Orphaned Land
                    Emperor
                    Opeth
                    Nevermore

Comment

Nirvana ............NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

as far as Shadows Fall and the like ...great guys ..partied my ass with those fags from PA

[/ QUOTE ]
                        You're a fag. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They're from the Boston, Mass. area. [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Joe ...not at that time , I don't think ....I was with those fags until 4 AM in my Bro's bar after hours....and they were from PA .....I know PA come up in our drunken stupors somewhere ....what do I know I was drinkin' Blackhouse for the first time ....I remembered I stumbled upon that band by chance grabbing their first "Somber Eyes..." and they openened for somebody coming thru Cleve...I forgot who really and I digged them and My Ex Cop Buddy owned a Bar with them in the Jukebox along with everything else I told him to put in there ...we all went there and ....you know ....we were kickin' it and chillin' and whatnot... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But I remebered one of them sayin "we gotta get back to PA "....I dunno... but they were very happy that they were in a bar Jukebox....back around '99!!!!

If I were to pick my favorite "Metal Composers"....hmmmmmmm....OK

Opeth would definitely be one ...I was sooooo blown away at their show!!!
                          Nevermore.....for sure.....My boy Looooooooooomis!!!!
                          King Diamond / Mercyful Fate
                          Candlemass
                          Soilwork....they kicked this whole new metal thing in the ass IMO....not In Flames but I like older In Flames but they are starting to blow Korn's balls....why?!!
                          Darkane
                          Helstar
                          Forbidden
                          At The Gates
                          Therion....you want "composers" ....hell there you go.
                          Norther
                          Skyfire
                          Node
                          COB
                          Cynic
                          Atheist
                          Apocrypha
                          Hexenhouse
                          Watchtower
                          Savatage....the Criss years.
                          Annihilator
                          Last Crack
                          Death / Controled Denied
                          Symbyosis
                          Testament
                          Megadeth
                          when I first heard Iced Earth I was very impressed but they seem to loose their luster with each album after SWTWC....

and anything Uli Jon Roth has put his magic fingers on ....even though his a bit quirky....he's the best in my book .
                          and against the majority I believe that Cradle Of Filth ....is amazing especially when Barker and John was in the band (There is only one COF)....I love that band and Dimmu too and Old Mans Child too and Emperor!

But Sabbath and Van Halen made me want to play guitar when I was 13....but I played bass (like a typewriter) instead for years before switching to a shredaholic

But there is soooooo many awesome bands out there ,,,,my very favorite guitarist is Uli ....hands down....he's perfect as perfect can be. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

and who wasn't blown away when Maiden came out...I had "Killers" on cassette / Vinyl and eight track!!

and I can't keep The New Exodus out of my player....those old fags are better than ever!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

and Slayer makes me want to hurt people...and the new Slayer Lamb Of God. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

well I'm stoned and have no idea what the hell I just said ....later...

Comment

Cool. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I love the new Exodus, too. And Opeth just blows me away, but I wish I would have paid more attention to them when I saw them a couple summers ago when they went on before Nevermore on the DHIADW tour. I never really paid much attention to them but I had heard of them on my local metal radio station here (89.5 fm, WSOU). They're at a catholic college in East Orange, NJ called Seton Hall, and they call their station Seton Hall's pirate radio... been around since the mid '80s I guess. They've got a website somewhere now and you can even listen to them online. They also play a lot of death and black metal, used to have a show awhile back called Monday Night Mayhem where that's all they would play for hours! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] The funny thing is, they censor like the stupid BS words during most of their regular rotation, plus most of their djs think it's wrong to say the word god, like in a band's name like Lamb of God or God Forbid... they'll say Lamb of G and G Forbid. And Suicidal Tendencies they had to call ST. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But they'll play bands clearly singing about death and satan... and they're a catholic station! Gotta love it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well... Desmond Child on Alice Cooper's Thrash was good.

Comment

Working...
                              X