Most crushing live tone you've heard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most crushing live tone you've heard?

I would have to say that for me it was a tie between Inflames and Iced Earth.

Inflames opened up with Pinball map and I was just blown away at how tight and compressed the sound was. It felt like your skin was ripping off your face. 5150's.

Iced Earth was using a Marshall tube amp and a Soldano I think. Very killer tone also.
    Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Re: Most crushing live tone you\'ve heard?

Jon Schaffer used to use a Larry and switched to a Bogner Uberschall ...soldano all though a great amp could never sound as heavy as that..

I talked to Jon...his exact words when I asked him how does the Bogner compare to the Larry ...he stated "there is no comparison"..

He used to run a BBE 422 in the loop of the Larry ....he plays the uber straight ..

I have an uber ...It is the heaviest metal amp I've ever heard so far..

makes the 5150 and rectos sound like tinker toys...honestly.

I've owned 5150s and rectos...I know this.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

bill, wtf is a larry?
      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        bill, wtf is a larry?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna ask the same thing, now I don't feel so stupid. Maybe he meant Laney?
        Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

Comment

a handmade boutique amp that cost about $4k..

Nope it's a LARRY...not a Laney ...the difference there would be about $3,300..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            a handmade boutique amp that cost about $4k..

Nope it's a LARRY...not a Laney ...the difference there would be about $3,300..

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the basic math refreshere. Gotta "larry" link?

Comment

AIC Jerry Cantrel had a killer tone. supposedly he was using a bogner fish, intelleflex & a mosvalve 500 for that tour.

Comment

Live Iced Earth is always just so powerfull, as well as In Flames like someone before said. Can't ignore the last version of Megadeth either, Dave and Al sounded just so powerfull.

Not crushing but great live tone: Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Schenker have great live tones.
                I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

george lynch, back for the attack tour. His roadie came out, hit an open g chord, and floored everyone. Then they opened with kiss of death.
                  Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Jerry Cantrell! He used a Bogner Fish, Roctron Intelliverb, and Mesa 2:90 with a Jimi Hendrix wah and a Rotovibe in front, and an assortment of Les Paul Customs and his old G&Ls. Second is Brian Lepke and Scott Danough from Bleeding Through-both had ESP Eclipses with EMGs, Brian used a Line 6 Vetta and Scott used an old Line 6 Flextone. Then there was the Pete with his warm crunchy tone, he used his old Marshall Slash, a new plexi reissue and a Vox AC30 under a Hot Plate with a Les Paul Custom, then my friend Mike who uses an Epiphone Les Paul Standard thru a Dual Rec Tremoverb, and his lead guitarist Scott who used a DC Les Paul and a few pedals into some Laney combo.

Comment

Cliff you beat me to it. Lynch back for the attack tour was awesome. I don't remember his setup during that tour.

Comment

The best live Marshall sound I ever heard in my life was when I saw Steve Stevens and the Atomik Playboys ...It was the best tone I ever heard live ...hands down!!!

His tone just kicked my ass ...I was in awe

I heard some the best of the best ...and that was "THE" best...IMO

Second best ....is my uber ...it crushes...but I'm a bit biased on that opinion...because in all my years of searching for the holy grail of ultimate tone this is the closest thing I could imagine !!!!!

BTW ...when I hear John's rig ..I get the same impression when he's playing ...I think to myself how can you get better tone than that ...I play his rig I don't get the same impression because it's not dialed to my playing style and feel ...make sense.

Like a lot of you guys John and I we are very anal of our sound and been scratchin are balls for a long time to achieve it..a very long time and hordes of money spent to get where we are..

we are quite pleased to say the least..it's about time!!!!

but we are still tweakin just to make it even better...we are sick...like you people! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

we are silly sick anal bastages... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Cannibal Corpse at the Palace in early 2002 with Dark Funeral, Pissing Razors and Incantation. It was more the fact that it was VERY well mixed and played VERY tight than that their amps were so great.

Comment

Of course, that was from an audience perspective. The best tone I have heard EVER is the guy I work for Todd Youth of the Chelsea Smiles. We run a combination of old Marshall's and old Fender Bassmans, with mostly vintage Gibsons in front. Todd has such an ear for tone after 20 years in the business that it blows EVERYONE I've heard away.

Comment

FIGHT, it was my first concert and it was still the heaviest thing ive ever heard in my life [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              subscribe to my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/deathmetal44
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-TymW-84g
                              www.soundclick.com/gothmetalshredder

Comment

Working...
                              X