No announcement yet.

Most crushing live tone you've heard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most crushing live tone you\'ve heard?

Obituary in 1990 at a small club in Pensauken, with Sadus and Sepultura, can't remember what they had there but the best live sound I've seen.

Comment

I think that the tone is less about the amps used and more about the club's soundsystem and the sound man.

The last Iced Earth concert I went to their tones were terrible and the sound man obviously wasn't doing his job since you could only hear Tim Owen's "WAAHHAAAAAAAAHHHH!"

Last time I saw In Flames their tones were horrendous, it sounded like they were playing through a 1x12" I talked to Bjorn and he said his 5150 that he had blew up or something like that a few nights prior and Randall dropped him off one of their new amps and he was still getting used to it. Plus their pre-recorded keyboards were blasting through the speakers louder than everything.

Probably the best tone I've heard was Megadeth on the Risk tour, Marty Friedman's last show.. When they opened up with Prince Of Darkness my face practically melted, Mustaine playing that opening riff alone... Wow... So thick / heavy sounding.

Comment

Never liked In Flames live tone, but Iced Earth's tone with the Uber sounded awsome. Next best tone is from Cannibal Corpse when I saw em a cple months back. Forgot what they were using. Mesa heads....All I remember...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Cliff you beat me to it. Lynch back for the attack tour was awesome. I don't remember his setup during that tour.

[/ QUOTE ]he had a bunch of fake white marshall stacks onstage- 10heads/10 cabs. behind those he had (no flames,, this is from memory [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] what I thought was a modded jtm45 head and a modded park head. in a rack, and it looked like they were miking an iso cabinet. They were miking a couple of cabs onstage, too, but who knows? All I know is it CRUSHED.
          Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Exodus. Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt rule! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

11th row at the Van Halen 2 concert at the Paladium in NYC. When EVH hit his first chord I thought my skin came off.

Comment

Strapping Young Lad when I saw them open up for Napalm Death and Nile.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Next best tone is from Cannibal Corpse when I saw em a cple months back. Forgot what they were using. Mesa heads....All I remember...

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I think Pat uses a Triple Rec.

Comment

Megadeth at Donington MOR, back in about '89. Although it was an open-air festival, I must have been standing right in the "sweet spot"!

Comment

For me it was Hank Sherman's tone during the "9" tour for Meryful Fate. Kai Hansen's sound was good during Gamma Ray's set at ProgPower 3.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Strapping Young Lad when I saw them open up for Napalm Death and Nile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw them on that tour. Their tone was killer also. Very tight and chunky.
                        Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

Iced Earth, Black Label Society, and Pantera are some of my fav brutal heavy tones...

but the ultimate heavy tone IMO is Symphony X w/ Michael Romeo... I don't know what it is about his tone but i LOVE it.

Comment

Kings'X in 1994. Their sound, as a group, was incredible. Nothing before, or since, has compared.

For a guitar sound, I'd have to say EVH in 1994 and Hetfield's massive crunch in 1986 left huge impressions. I can still feel him chugging away. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Children Of Bodom and Shadows Fall when i saw them play in London.
                              93 USA Soloist EDS
                              USA HT6 Juggernaut
                              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Michael Romeo's tone is hands down the heaviest IMO. When I saw Symphony X in March, his tone just kicked everybody's ass, especially during "Wicked".

Comment

Working...
                                X