No announcement yet.

Most crushing live tone you've heard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most crushing live tone you\'ve heard?

Not 'crushing' but the times I've been fortunate enough to hear Eric Johnson play live (in a small venue too) - his tone was amazing. Saw him in '90 and '97 or so at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa, front row each time. Wonderful stuff. I didn't even miss the dumble in '97. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bill - I heard a bogner Uber, ecstacy and shiva at an ampfest recently... a Soldano Avenger out heavied the Uber, imho. If the Avenger wasn't a single channel amp, I'd be saving for one right now. The Uber was decent, but the soldano owned it. I don't know what cab the soldano was going through, but the Uber was through an UberKab.

Pete

Comment

John Petrucci of Dream Theater. I saw them on their Train of Thought tour this year front row. His new Mesa Roadkings absolutley crush anything I've herd.

Comment

Matthias Jabs, Love at First Sting tour.

Comment

The Avenger huh??

hmmmm...well it's about time Soldano gets into the the heavy metal arena.

I would love to hear one ...I always love the tone of Soldanos..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i haven;t seen many, but the last festival i saw, i heard some good stuff, from

Noah henson- Pillar
            Thom Daugherty-the Elms (great bluesy feel. the guy can be the christian Slash as far as I'm concerned).

Comment

Pantera - Cowboys from hell tour.

Comment

Does no one give mention to the Framus Cobra?
                So far...that's the most crushing tone I've heard so far (this coming from a die-hard Dual Recto fan) [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Framus Cobra [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Heard good things about them ...never had my hands on one or seen anyone play one....

they don't grow in these parts..
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I don't know about crushing tone but here a couple that come to mind...

Yngwie Malmsteen just before the release of marching out, they played some songs off it it but it was not released. This was at St Andrews Hall in Detroit, small venue (think big High school gym) and he blew the roof off that place.

Loudness - Tunder in the East tour, saw them at Harpos in Detroit, Akira was great a performer and his tone was smoking hot.

Randy Rhoads on the Diary tour - Feburary 1982. His tone in that venue (Cobo arena) was not how it sounds on the Tribute album.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Brina my in the Boston Garden 1978, and EVH in the same place during the mean streets tour. The sound in the garden was usually sh*t but during these 2 shows it was amazing. EVH's sound was thunderous and clear. I think the best i've ever heard live and I saw them live with Roth 6 times.
                        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Michael Romeo's tone is hands down the heaviest IMO. When I saw Symphony X in March, his tone just kicked everybody's ass, especially during "Wicked".

[/ QUOTE ]

When I saw Symph X last November that may have been some of the worst tone and sound I had ever sat through. Mybe the best playing I had ever seen but the sound was terrible. Devon Townsend had better tone that night
                          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Tony Iommi's tone at New Year's Evil (see review here...look for the Arizona Republic byline) was awesome.

Mathias Jabs and Rudolf Schenker always have killer tone. Alex Lifeson's isn't really crushing, but it's very defined and crisp, but with every bit of sustain he needs.

I haven't seen Hammerfall live, but they have mind-blowing tone on their One Crimson Night live disc. Yow!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Pantera - Cowboys from hell tour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I saw Pantera on Ozzfest in '01 and the guitar sound was incredible. I thought I was going to throw up they were so loud. AWESOME!
                              Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Mine would have to be Ted Nugent in '99. Damn, I didn't expect his tone to be heavier than Megadeth, but it was totally crushing! And LOUD as HELL!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Nuge and Derek St. Holmes peeled the paint off the walls at the Municipal Auditorium in Shreveport, LA back in the mid 1970s. Gibson humbuckers through walls of Fender stacks. To this day, I've never heard a tone that came close to comparison. "Crushing" is an understatement.
                                "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                                X