Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else see Uli Jon Roth & Michael Schenker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else see Uli Jon Roth & Michael Schenker?

Shortest review in history of Uli Jon Roth:

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Shortest review in history of Michael Schenker:

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Re: Anyone else see Uli Jon Roth & Michael Schenker?

No I missed it cuz I felt like crap ...Uli Rules..

best guitarist on the planet...
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Uli has the most wicked, stinging, & beautiful vibrato I've ever heard. He is a master both in tone and attack in making his guitar playing sound like a violin playing. This guy is a true innovator! There are no other words available to me to express how grateful I was to be at the Wreck Room last night and witness greatness [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Michael's ability to spin a nirvana of melodies like water was awesome. His ending solo in Into the Area was one of the most perfect improvised solos I've EVER heard. His intro solo to Doctor Doctor was also masterfully crafted. I sure hope this show's audio pops up somewhere!

Comment

You are correct sir on both accounts ...

I certainly hope this does go to video..

I also would love to see the Eurpoean G3 tour with Uli ...that had to be great!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I saw it in Ventura, there's another thread on it somewhere buried in here. Uli was great for about the first half of his set then his amp started takin a dump. Schenker was as good as I've ever seen him except at one point he screwed up during a solo and couldn't get back in at the right place then attempted to improvise which didn't work for him either then he just threw up his hands acting very humble and embarassed kinda laughing at himself. it was definitely a great show, never thought I'd get to see Uli. Hopefully Schenker can make enough $$ on the tour to get his guitars painted.
            Chris
            http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

I wish they would've come this way! Gibson outta paint Michael's guitars for free...

Comment

I totally agree, that's probably rhe coo;est paint job I've ever seen on a guitar, There's a Custom Schenker Gibson V on ebay now, very nice

Comment

Saw this show last night at Jaxx in Northern Virginia. Uli Roth was just unfvckingbelievably awesome! I could go on and on describing the various facets of his style and technique that he showed off last night, but just let me say that he is one of the best guitarists on earth and leave it at that. Worth the price of admission all by himself. Interestingly, he got a great tone out of even the highest notes on his Sky Guitar. On my old Washburn EC36, the really high notes in the third octave always sounded like crap--sort of like the raised pitch of a Harmonizer without the direct sound blended in. Uli's really high notes, by contrast, were just as rich and full as the rest of his tone. What a master...

Schenker was definitely 'on' last night, but his set was a bit too much "meat and potatos" hard rock after Uli's spellbinding set. Michael is definitely a talented guitarist and writer (and a huge influence on a lot of people), but I don't think I would characterize him as a 'virtuoso'. His band was really tight, though, and they played the core of the UFO and MSG catalogs--even not being a huge fan, I knew a good 3/4 of the set. I also have to say that Michael kicked his playing up a notch on the extended "Rock Bottom" solo--he was throwing some pretty cool sh!t in there. I wish there had been a little more of that throughout his set.

Comment

Bill, I can't believe you didn't go. Apparently you're not dead, so you couldn't have been that sick...I'd give my left nut to be able to see this show.
                    Did Uli punish the crowd with his vocals, or was he instrumental only?
                    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Re: Anyone else see Uli Jon Roth & Michael Schenke

Last night, Uli sang four songs: "Hiroshima", "I'm A River," "All Along the Watchtower" and one of his old Scorpions tunes, the name of which escapes me. Not a great voice, but he seemed to choose material where a great voice wasn't required. "Watchtower" was the only song where the vocals were a prominent feature--the other vocal tunes only had a couple of short vocal parts between the longer instrumental sections.

Comment

Saw the show in San Diego...you guys might not like what I have to say: I was bored after about half of Uli's set. Yeah, the guy has chops, vibrato, an interesting guitar, etc.. but it just wasn't all that entertaining. I guess that I wasn't in the mood for a guitar clinic and wanted some rock ala' Schenker. (being a bit "cocktailed" may have had something to do with it)
                        I was pretty surprised when about 20% of the crowd bailed after Uli's set, though. Maybe since this was the third time Schenker has played here in 6 months?

Comment

The Scorps song Uli sang was Virgin Killers

Comment

Working...
                          X