EVH Eruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH Eruption

Hey guys I was talking to a friend earlier and he asked me "was Eddie doing a divebomb?" in Eruption, seeing as VH1 was recorded in 78 did he use a vintage strat trem, or did he have some prototype floyd?

It'd be interesting to know as i'm pretty sure that even a wilkinson with locking tuenrs couldnt stay in tune after the abuse Ed gave his guitars in eruption?

Ozz [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Re: EVH Eruption

He used the trem off an old Fender strat that he had I believe.

Comment

It was a vintage strat trem & yes he did dive-bombs with it & though it wasn't perfect,it did stay in tune remarkably well!!

Comment

I remember him saying in an interview that he would wrap the strings around the saddles or something. I think he said he did something to the nut as well...(Probably just widen the slots to prevent the strings from getting caught up) This is going waaay back so hopefully someone can elaborate on this. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

he put graphite in the nut...d.m.
          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

he wraped the strings the opposite direction so it was a straight string slide through the nut and he said after he would use the bar he would yank back up on it to get it back in tune

Comment

he got lucky a few times ...so did Hendrix...those bridges suck ass for divebombs"!

you never saw him use that again once he discovered Floyd..so there ya go [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have many old live pre 1978 bootlegs ...his guitars are all outta whack.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah. You can get a vintage trem to work under certain circumstances. Lubed nut, not too many wraps around the tuning peg, well stretched strings, or replacing it with a Floyd Rose.

Comment

That's total old school really ..made for "tremelo" not a nuclear holocaust... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks dudes, I had an old strat copy that stayed in fairly good tune when divebombing.

Ozz

Comment

I recall Ed stating that he routinely boiled a fresh set of Fender strings in water on the kitchen stove before stringing up his axe. Don't know if that helps tuning - or maybee just some sort of good luck ritual. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Nah ...he did that to get more life out of them beforing tossing them.

I used to do that with bass strings all the time..then wipe em down with alcohol..

Comment

The Final "Dive" in Eruption is too low for a Strat Bridge to go. He did it by adjusting the Controls on his MXR Flanger.

Comment

actually the ending was done with his delay pedal (the midsection has an "actual" divebom). if you ever done this trick you recognise the sound, the digital delay is set on an indefinite repeat, switched on in mid sound and then the speedknob is manually slowly set to a lower setting, which creates the divebomb effect (in the end you can hear the stutter effect of an delay pedal)

Comment

It was actually an echoplex tape delay. Eddies guitars were rarely in tune if you listen to old bootlegs. That is one reson he plays some many 2 and 3 string chord voicings. You should read the post by Tom Anderson about when he worked on Eddie's frankinstrat. He said the bridge was over a 1/4" off, noway it could be intonated. That was a lot of concerts and recordings with a guitar that could not play in tune with itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X