Vinnie Moore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vinnie Moore

I only have his first two - Mind's Eye and Time Odyssey. Both are great but I haven't heard anything after that.
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I chilled the Vinman twice on his tour with UFO. He's a really cool guy. I've been a huge fan since mind's_eye. Here we are backstage in NJ. My fiancee and I also chilled with him at BB's in NYC. The man's a shredmeister. Notice the VM-1 splatter (also called the Star IV)? he he

We're all over this page, but Vinnie is in the second set:

http://www.strangers-in-the-night.co...nthestreet.htm

Comment

Vinny Moore is cool ...but a old hat standard to me.

It's been over twenty years since Vinny has made his mark

There is much more evolved players out there that use their abilities in a fresh , challenging format..

Vinny Moore will always put out the same album he always had that nobody really cares about...or be a stand in or hired gun for a old "classic" rock band.

If you want to hear something new and refreshing...please check into dudes like Magnus Karlsson or Olaf Lenk for example...

they took what Vinny did and just ran with it.

I'd take Greg Howe or MacAlpine over Vinny anyday..

Hell check what Uli Roth has been doing lately...Moore couldn't tie Uli's friggin' shoelaces..

and Vinny Moore's tone always sucked IMO..horrible tone!!!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Don't get me wrong guys..I've been following Vinnie since he came onto the scene...I have all his stuff ...all of it!!!

and he is a major talent

I just prefer what players like Loomis , Laiho , Karlsson , Lenk , Broderick , Romeo and other amazing players have to offer..it's just fresh ....not a 20 year old style or formula..it's a bit tired to me.

I can't even listen to EVH and stuff seriously anymore...I'm just NOT amused with it.....it's just old and boring IMO!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Greg Howe is cool too,his fusion stuff is killer, these other guys you mention Loomis,Laiho etc. who are they? (Mind you I don't follow the death metal or black metal scene at all)I know I must sound like a moron here sorry
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Vinnie kicks mayor ass!!!
              Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I saw Vinnie open for Michael Schencker a few years ago. He was so good it was amazing and he completely showed up Schenker. In fact, Schenker was downright lame in comparision so we left.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Don't get me wrong guys..I've been following Vinnie since he came onto the scene...I have all his stuff ...all of it!!!

and he is a major talent

I just prefer what players like Loomis , Laiho , Karlsson , Lenk , Broderick , Romeo and other amazing players have to offer..it's just fresh ....not a 20 year old style or formula..it's a bit tired to me.

I can't even listen to EVH and stuff seriously anymore...I'm just NOT amused with it.....it's just old and boring IMO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea your right aboout the ground breaking. Romeo's an awesome player and for a while all I listened to was SymphX. But I really have gotten burnt out on Romeo' the POD tone, gets old after a while.

Never been an EVH fan was always into Randy. Once DLR left fuckit.

You are sounding like a punker Bill "Once it's mainstream its no longer great."

Anyway I dig him and yes he hasn't done anything groundbreaking for a long time. Always been a MacAlpine fan but his music has been very inconsistent over the last decade. As these guys get hungry their styles change. At least with Vinnie you can always count on a good listen. I won't comment on Liaho. But what is his groundbreaking stuff? Is their more material besides Synergy and Children of the Same drumbeat on every song?

Comment

A agree with LRGman.

Why Cob is so special?
                    Laiho is one of the most uninteresting guitar players I've ever seen, all his solos and melodies are the same. Just My Opinion.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Hey Brett I saw Return to Forever years ago in Chicago. Great show but weird crowd. I think me and my buddy were the only younger people in the crowd and were definitely the only people smoking sinse there. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Children of the Same drumbeat on every song?

[/ QUOTE ]
                        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Yeah with Bodom ' Alexi ...he's has a style pretty much etched in stone ..like most solid players.

Even though his solos and interplay with keys and beats are repetitive ...he does and has come up with some very cool and inventive riffs..

and as far as "inventive" or "fresh" riffs goes ...you just can't beat Jeff Loomis ...that guys puts all his theory and articulate fire into some of the most creative aggressive music I've heard to date..he can be melodic or just insane....check out his solos and rythm playing to The Sacrement or the River dragon and half the stuff off EOR.

as far as the most articulate player with the most feel ...I give that to Uli hands down ...he's just a quirky dude that always love classical inspired music ...he's a bit odd...but untouchable IMO.

Vinnie Moore has a Uli-ish quality about him...a bit more neo-classical ...but he had to compete with the likes of all the groundbreaking Shrapnel guys doing the whole Neo shred thing...thanks to Yngwie making it HUGE!!!

There is so many players that were from that generation that were truly amazing..Freidman , Becker , Kotzen , Greg Howe , MacAlpine , Tafolla , Saraceno , Firkins , YJM , Cody , Batio , Nuno , Gilbert , Norum , Lynch , De Martini , Goldy , Via , Satch , Shawn Lane , Gambale...the list is almost endless..

But Vinnie ...he's great..

but there is so many others that made a big mark ...sometimes they are not credited enough IMO..

I just wish Vinnie did more than obscure instrumentals...I don't have the new UFO ...how is he on that ...I wish he did more Band effort stuff.

Maybe since guitar is "cool" again he will..but there is a whole new breed of shredders out there doing some really fresh and amazing stuff...I'm into dude like Romeo , Santolla , Roy Z , Magnus Karlsson , Glen Drover , Loomis , Olaf Lenk ...hell this list is almost endless.

I'm just happy the art of shred and true talent is still alive...and I give cudos to anyone contributing to the art.

There is some players here that have earned my respect along with the great ones I mentioned.

Comment

hey Bill you seriously forgot Skolnick...come on, some of his leads on Testament songs are the most beautifully
                            crafted solos ever made...perfectly matched to the songs.
                            souls of black, the legacy...etc.
                            him and Friedman during early 90's were practically unstoppable...until they both went over the hill and left the metal scene....

I have to say Vinnie Moore's "daydream" is one of the best instrumentals I've ever heard..and I've heard my share..remember this is an old song and for me to like it to this day is a pretty astonishing feat even though I'm a guitar oriented guy...not a lot of 1987 albums can shake it today. as for EVH I have to say...never really dug his music, I can understand the heritage but to me he's just a lot of hype and not a lot of follow-through...and to hear about his constant reunion fuckups today it's just so pathetic...have some grace and die in peace...or go do your thing. I think he bought into his own hype..so it seems anyway. If you can't stay on the grind then stay out of it altogether. Anyway I'm drunk so I'm gonna go to sleep now..later [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Been having VM's "Minds Eye" since '87. Some tasty solos, but too much harmonizer used. His rhythm stuff tone wise sounds like solid state garbage. The song patterns are a bit repeatative and come off overdubbed. Skolnick had some great moments, better tone, etc. Some guys have great chops - but lack stage presence and a distinct style that allows them to have long term successful careers. Then you have guys like Keith Richards that have the persona and 'tude, but can't play their way out of a wet paper bag as compared to some GIT guy. But the GIT guy ain't making the multi millions, banging supermodels, blowing their livers out with booze, and touring the world year after year staying at 5 star hotels.

Comment

Seems I remember that Minds Eye was rush recorded in like two days I believe. On a budget of notta lotta...

Basically, he lucked into getting some time from Varney and recorded a bunch of his stuff. Listening to it, you can see that. But man, that was seriously cool album then, and is still in my truck today... It is a great introspective of what is Vinnnie Moore. Not polished much, and really raw. I get smiley happy just listening to the basic-ness of it, and yet how tasty it was. I find it inspiring, and have loved it since I heard it on Z-Rock and went to buy it that day.

Gads, I've stole so much from that CD it's (almost) embarrassing...

Definitely cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X