HOLY FUCKIN SHlT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOLY FUCKIN SHlT!!!

I was doing gear for a friend's band last night(and getting really stoned with Nick Barker), and I saw the HEAVIEST band I have ever seen. They are called Graves at Sea, and they fuckin' KILLED that place. I was a Halloween gig, so the singer was dressed like the girl from The Ring. He was really skinny and pale, and barefoot with a tattered white dress on. You could never see his face, he just rocked back and forth really slowly and screamed the blackest heaviest sceam ever. If anyone out there likes doom, or is just interested in seeing how heavy music can get, be sure and check them out!!

Re: HOLY FUCKIN SHlT!!!

whoops, I totally missed this thread somehow... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...fpart=1#314349

Graves at Sea absolutely slay; they seem to play in LA moderately frequently; I've seen them 4 times now and they just keep getting better every time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The first time I saw them play was in silverlake; they freaked the hell out of all the silverlake hipster kids; practially made them flee the room. The singer clocked himself in the forehead with the mic at some point early in the show and his face was totally covered in blood by the end of the set. So damn heavy his forehead exploded! \m/

(they have an EP out, and this winter will be putting out a full length on Southern Lord)

Comment

oh yeah, website: http://www.gravesatsea.com/

(one song off their EP online there, under 'sounds')

live they're like that, but 10 times heavier

Comment

tryign to download now. Sounds like something I"d like.

Comment

Yeah, that was me!(I assume, that or someone who looked a lot like me was there too). I was actually asked to join a band that night by the drummer from Mange. Of course I accepted. I've been friends with him for a long time, he's in Anubis Rising too. Yabba, next time you see me at a show, you'd be a fool not to say hello( [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ). I don't mean to brag, but when it comes to the metal scene here in L.A. you'd be hard pressed to find someone more connected than me. Say hi, and I'll try and get you a beer or something.

Comment

Nick Barker the drummer from Dimmu? Was he pretty cool?

Just listened to that song on Graves at Sea's site. F*cking kick ass!

Comment

Ok, I downloaded the song from their site and ended up doing the "penguin" waiting for the rippin' gothic rip your heart out guitar solo ?!? WTF ? Really cool stuff but they need to cut you with a searing solo in the middle of that heaviness ! Agreed ?

[img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

hehe, yarrr; now with confirmation that was you and I think I have an idea of what you look like I'll definetely say hi next time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] First beer's on me [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes, Nick Barker, the drummer from Dimmu, Cradle of Filth, Old Man's Child and Brujeria. Yes, he's really cool. Before I met him I thought for some reason he was going to be a assh0le, but I've hung out with him quite a bit since he moved out here to L.A. and now I feel like a dick for underestimating him. I do feel kinda sorry for the guy though, everytime he goes to a metal show people hang on him and get drunk and sit there and talk his ear off, and stuff like that. One guy even pulled him aside and said "You're not Nick Barker, are you?" Of course, he said no.

As for Graves at Sea having a solo, I could hear where that would be cool, Warhorse has some awesome doom solos. But when I saw them live I was mesmerized for the entire set just about. I didn't "miss" a solo at all, so I guess they don't really need one. I'm sure had they played one, it would have been awesome too. They just had the darkest, doomiest stage presence I've ever seen, and the guy's vocals sound much scarier. I was standing right next to the PA, so I could hear him over the dimed Orange stack. The whole band sounded amazing.

Comment

Sweet. Too bad people bug the hell out of him. I feel kinda guilty, cause I'd love to meet him. That guy is one hell of a drummer.

Comment

I'm sure he's pretty used to it. I was sure not to run up to him and tell him my life story the moment I met him like everyone else does, but I am really good friends with his friends, so I waited until he was used to seeing me around and he knew who I was before I talked to him at length. And don't feel guilty, there's nothing wrong with wanting to meet your favorite musicians. Just know that from experience, some people get really weird when they get backstage. I've had people tell me they'd be honored if I beat them up(WTF??!!), ask for my clothes, follow me around, hang on me all night, all sorts of weird stuff. Not that I think you would do any of that stuff, but it makes a really crappy first impression. Don't get me wrong, just about everyone(except Chris Barnes and Angela Gossow) likes to be complimented and recognized. A nice handshake with a smile and something like "Hi, I'm a big fan of your work" or "I really loved the song ---- from your last album". And then see what they say. Some days I'll sit and talk to a complete stranger for half an hour, other times I am trying to get stuff done and someone is crying onstage during soundcheck because a band member kicked them out of their dressing room for being annoying.

Comment

They'd be honored if you beat them up? That's f**ked up.

Comment

Nick Barker was an awesome dude when I met him ...he gave me a whole bunch of stuff for my kid who worships him..

he couldn't believe that "he" was a hero to a nine year old..well other than his pop!

I'll check intio the band Ace ...thanks for the heads up!!
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Re: solos

there's a solo on 'red monarch', the first track of their EP ("documents of grief").
                            I'm trying to remember if I've seen him do it live and I don't know if I have or not (mesmerized is exactly the perfect word for the experience of seeing them live, which I guess makes it hard to remember details [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sort of a blissed-out doom trance [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Not exactly related to this thread, but it seemed like a vaguely appropriate place to post it, for lovers of the uber-heavy doomy stuff:

One of the guys in Buried At Sea (not Graves at Sea; ahh, there's the relevance to this thread [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ), another one of the-heaviest-bands-in-the-universe just put out a cool video to one of the tracks off their album, "Migration"

http://www.digitalflicker.com/Work/basaquanaut.mov

It's damn heavy (nearly) instrumental ultra-doom; the soundtrack to a bloated decaying wormy underwater death. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] Excellent stuff.

check it out! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[edit: it's 26 megs, just as a warning to anyone crippled by low bandwidth. entirely worth the wait if you're into the heavy though)

Comment

Working...
                              X