Ace Frehley's "light up" Les Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ace Frehley's "light up" Les Paul?

Any KISS fans got a pic, and/or can describe what model LP, how this worked, the pattern, etc? Super bonus points to anybody who can post a link to a video. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Re: Ace Frehley\'s \"light up\" Les Paul?

It's an LP Standard with a flame pot in the neck pickup position. There is a second cable going to the guitar. All he need is an electric charge to get the flame pot started. It's really not that complicated at all.

Comment

Ace ,

ithink he was talking about the one he uses on New York Groove. It has Square Patterns on it that look like Frosted glass.

Ron , I have a video somewher here that had him using it. I think it's in the Sure Know something video, or I was made for lovin you. I can't remember.

I do know that he said it had a bunch of light bulbs in it on one of the interviews I have on tape. I'll TRY to find it. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Oh and if I'm wrong, Then I'm an idiot [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Ace gets an "A" for effort; however I mean the guitar that lights up in a pattern, like Rick is talking about. I forgot to type "not the smoking guitar" in my OP. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It's the 'I was made for loving you' vid. Saw it last night on VH1's 40 most unmetal show.

Adrian
          All hail the 'King'
          R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

I believe it's a Les Paul jr. with fiber optic lights run across the top of the guitar body,made by some dude in New York!!

Comment

The one with lights was made by Carr. Ron, if you want pix, I have some high quality detailed pix of it..........

Comment

Ron,

Sully is the best person that I know of here that can answer that. He's pretty knowledgable on all things "Ace Frehley". (Not discounting any of you other guys....but I've seen Sully answer lots and lots of KISS related questions over the years)

Comment

accept 2 is correct. there's been a few of them made for ace; one back in the day, and i believe one or two more for the reunion tours.

the back of the original was almost completely routed out and packed with D cell batteries in order for the lights to work. the light pattern and speed is adjusted by one of the knobs. totally cool guitar.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

http://www.kissonline.com/elementals...ndell/gear.htm

Who originally built your Gibson Les Paul "Light" guitar?

Ace Frehley: A guy named John Robeson, who lives in Massachusetts. He's a car salesman-he sells Jags! He's kind of like a rocket scientist and always seems like he's somewhere else, but the guy is brilliant. Inside the "Light" guitar is a circuit board that John custom desgined. It works off 20 C-batteries and a shitload of bulbs. There's a computer built inside it that makes it chase in different directions and different patterns. When I realized that I preferred the one that went across the guitar from left to right, I sopped using the other patterns. Eventually, I ended up taping up the switches so I wouldn't hit them by accident. The new one I'm getting is supposedly a new and improved version; they're using halogen bulbs. Halogen bulbs weren't available at the time when John built the guitar.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Carr recently completed the Ace Frehley "Light Guitar", sometimes referred to as the "Encore Guitar" as it is only used in the encore during KISS performances. This guitar and its uniqueness was recently featured in an MTV KISS documentary. It has a Les Paul shape with the top being solid lights. It is powered by a bank of professional video camcorder batteries which produce100 cranking amps of DC power - about the equivalent of 2 Heavy Duty car batteries. It only runs for about 5 minutes and looks awesome on stage.

Comment

ok,but it's made from a Les Paul jr. right??

Comment

i recline corrected! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

yeah chuck, it's based off of a junior.
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

More on the Carr guitar:

http://members.cox.net/fractured_mir...eguitars79.htm

Comment

There's an MPG clip of the 'I was made...' video on this site.

http://kissfaq.com/video/concept.html

You'll see the guitar in action.

Comment

Very cool LUVGUN!! Thanks for the link. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Adrian
                              All hail the 'King'
                              R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

Working...
                              X