X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIMEBAG DEAD????!!!!

Hey guys,
    I was just watching the morning news, and they had a story about a shooting in Ohio..."a man jumped on stage at a "heavy metal concert" and shot the guitarist of the band Damageplan, as well as a few concert goers, before being shot by police. The shooter and the guitarist of the band were pronounced dead at the scene". I didn't see anything about this on the Damageplan site. Has anyone else heard about this?? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Re: DIMEBAG DEAD????!!!!

Goddamn, it's true.

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A man charged onstage at a packed heavy metal show and opened fire on the band and the crowd, killing at least four people and wounding two others before an arriving police officer gunned him down, authorities said.

The band Damageplan had just begun their first song Wednesday night at the Alrosa Villa when the man opened fire, first targeting guitarist “Dimebag” Darrel Abbott, shooting him multiple times at point-blank range, a witness said.

Police would not confirm the identities of the victims.

Abbott, one of metal’s top guitarists, and his brother, Damageplan drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, were original members of thrash rock pioneers Pantera, one of the most popular metal bands of the early 1990s.

The witness, 22-year-old Chris Couch, said he was standing about 30 feet away from the stage when he noticed a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt and hockey jersey walk up to the stage, followed by a bouncer and another club employee.

The man in the jersey climbed onto the stage, started yelling and shot the guitarist five or six times at close range, Couch said. He said the gunman also shot a bouncer who pulled him off the musician.

‘Horrific scene’
    Columbus police spokesman Sgt. Brent Mull said that after shooting at members of the band, the gunman fired into the crowd. Mull said a police officer who arrived shortly after the shooting began shot and killed the gunman.

“If the officer wasn’t as close as he was, I think this would have been a lot worse,” he said. “It was a chaotic scene, just a horrific scene.”

Mull said more people could have been shot and left the scene before authorities arrived.

After the shooting began, Couch and a friend headed for the exit along with a tide of hundreds of fans.

“It was definitely a grudge. It was against something,” Couch said.

Click for related coverage
    MSNBC.com's music news

Amanda Stankus, 19, who attended the show with Couch, said she initially thought the shooting was part of the show. “I just saw the guitarist fall down, and we decided to get out of there,” she said.

Other members of Damageplan include vocalist Patrick Lachman and bass player Bob Zilla, according to the band’s Web site.

A message left with Atlantic Records, which oversees the record label on which Damageplan records, was not immediately returned.

Damageplan’s Web site said Darrel and Vinnie Abbott grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas area where their father Jerry Abbott owned a recording studio. Another entry on the site lists the elder Abbott as a country-western songwriter.

Telephone numbers for both Darrell and Jerry Abbott are unlisted and could not be reached early Thursday by The Associated Press.

Pantera, known for its brutally hard, fast and aggressive sound, recorded four albums between 1990 and 1996. They attracted a massive cult following and the band’s third release, “Far Beyond Driven,” debuted at No. 1 in 1994, surprising chart-watchers and critics alike.

Comment

I just heard the news on the way into work. It's a total shock. One helluva player. Very heavy, distinctive sound. Too bad.

R.I.P.

Comment

i'm, in shock. in my near hometown of columbus. that fucker. i mean, i heard about timmo tolki of stradovarious, but this...this is nuts....= RIP-Dime.

all the guy did was try to Get pantera together...he switched comapnies for amps and guitars, nothing big...got something new with his life going...
        if anyone, Phil should've been confronted, not Shot, for breaking up the 'tera.

Comment

I woke up to the radio station playing, and heard the whole thing.

Im not really a Pantera fan, but thats still horrible. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I just remembered: Yesterday was actually the anniversary of John Lennon's death, when he was shot in New York in 1980 by Mark Chapman

Comment

RIP Dime, i just read the news!

Comment

EDIT: Double post, sorry about that!

Comment

Ubelievable...there are some F'd up people in this world...Dimebags my little brothers favorite dude.

Comment

Just got off the phone with Monte who called to tell me. I am in shock
                  It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

i'm totally in shock....R.I.P. dime.
                    even though i'm not a big pantera fan (mostly because of the singer's voice), i always admired dimebag's skills and creativity. also he was said to be a really cool guys (i never met him in person)

man, it's unbelievable what is happening nowadays....

Comment

Yeah I woke up to the news but some are reporting Vinnie got killed also which I don't think happened any links to that?
                      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

RIP dimebag,prays to all his family and friends.

Comment

i just found that picture on the steve smyth forum

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Yeah I woke up to the news but some are reporting Vinnie got killed also which I don't think happened any links to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tclub_shooting

Comment

That's just wrong, I am praying for all involved...

Comment

Working...
                              X