Chris DeGarmo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chris DeGarmo

Old Queensryche **** rules...I love that stuff ...it still gets a lot of listen at the house of Bill...

But I wasted 11.99 on Q2K...TRIBE ...and that poor excuse for a watered down techno Tate album..

That is a toatl of $36 plus uncle Sam that I wasted on that friggin' band...no more..no way!

Fuggem...just plain fuggem ...right in the ass. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I got suckered into buying that bs Tribe because Degarmo was back...and he did nothing...absolutely nothing at all on it...fugg Degarmo...fugg him in his fuggin' ass. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I saw them do Mindcrime at Irvine Meadows in 1989. They were on the Metallica tour at the time but were able to do a one-off headliner at Irvine Meadows in I believe November (can't find the stub). Openers were Leatherwolf and Warrant (odd bill with Warrant in there). They were fantastic that time; saw them again in 1995 and they weren't bad then either, but Tate was already cheating on the high notes by then. Singers shouldn't smoke cigarettes, it's bound to hurt their voice unless they're Lemmy and there's nothing left to lose.

If some friends were going I'd probably go with them, but I wouldn't go just on my own. I would rather remember what they were than see what they are, unless great reviews come from the OMCII album and early live shows.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

All you Old school QR fans will really like OMCII. It is the long awaited sequell!!!
        1990 Jackson Professional
        1992 Dean ML
        2004 Epiphone Flying V
        2005 Epiphone Dot
        2009 Fender Stratocaster
        2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
        2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
        2006 Fender P Bass
        2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
        1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
        1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
        Custom Pedalboard
        ADA MP1
        ADA FX2
        Tascam 2488

Comment

Well, I hope so. I think Mike Stone is a great guitarist and I hope that this sequel has that prog feeling to it like the original. they haven't had that feeling since Empire IMO.
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

When OMCII will be released?
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I have heard some of what Mike has contributed, less the rest of the band, And I am really excited about it. Musically, it is right there!! I will be seeing them on friday at the House of blues, so I will poke around with the rest of the guys, and see what their take is.
              1992 Dean ML
              2004 Epiphone Flying V
              2005 Epiphone Dot
              2009 Fender Stratocaster
              2006 Fender P Bass
              Custom Pedalboard
              ADA MP1
              ADA FX2
              Tascam 2488

Comment

Awesome! It's good to have an eye (or ear) on the inside! I'm going to see them the following Friday In Hartford CT. Can't wait to see Mindcrime again. The few songs they did from Mindcrime the last time I saw them (last year)was only a taste of the old days. It's also cool to see them do NM156 and other old tunes as well. BTW Eddie Jackson now does the vocal parts that Chris used to do and from what I heard last year, it wasn't bad at all. It was actually pretty good.

Comment

I thought QR sounded pretty good on the dual bill they did with Dream Theater a couple of years ago. But then, I never saw QR in the old days, so I have no basis for comparison. I've always been a fan, though, all the way back to the EP. "Queen of the Reich" is still one of the 10 greatest metal songs, in my opinion...

Comment

Thanks, Warbird. Have you ever read Chuck Klosterman's "Fargo Rock City?" He has a really good section on Queensryche. You'd definitely like that part of the book, and likely a great deal of the rest, too.

Comment

Queensryche played here in St. Louis last night at Pop's nightclub. Sold out show. Stood by the soundboard for a few songs very impressive mix. They did a 1-hour set of the classics, took a 1/2 hour break came back and did Mindcrime. I did notice Eddie doing alot of the back-up harmonies.

Good show.

Adrian
                      All hail the 'King'
                      R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

Saw the show in Dallas last October. It was great! I have seen them a couple of times before the relesed MC. Cool to finaly see the show [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I saw Queensryche lastnight in Hartford and I have to say, it was the best show since I saw them on the Building Emires tour. I was about 20 feet from the stage in the center. I think that was a little too close to be able to hear the mix, but that was kinda cool. It was like QR playing in your basement. Geoff Tate sounded better than I have heard him in a long time. They just sounded really good and tight with each other.

Chris DeGarmo's absence? Look, he's out and it doesn't look like he will ever be back and yes, that changes the dynamic of the band. That being said, Mike Stone deserves a lot of credit for pulling off mindcrime. Micheal Wilton took over a lot of the leads that DeGarmo did, but for the dual guitar lead and harmony stuff, Mike was flawless. He ws the MVP for me lastnight. Jeff Tate a close second.

Mindcrime was rock solid and sounded as good or better than when they did it on the Building Empires tour. They made subtle changes here and there which I had heard about before the show and that concerned me. After hearing what they did with it, I realized that it worked. Having Pamela Moore there to sing her parts was amazing. she sang on some others as well.

The Mincrime II preview. This was a little disappointing. I thought they were going to play a new song or two live. After they finished mindcrime, they took their bows and left and then they played a new song from mindcrime over the PA with video footage similar to the original mindcrime videos. The song was so low, you could hardly hear it, but I will say this, from what I was able to hear, I'm interested now. They've got my attention. I hope it's worth the hype.

Comment

I saw them this past Thursday at the Beacon Theater in NYC and I thought they played great. I agree with you Jim regarding the different dynamic with Mike Stone, but that is only to be expected and not a bad thing IMO. I was a little dissapointed that "Take Hold of the Flame" was the earliest song they played during the greatest hits half of the show, but they still sounded great. Getting a chance to see them again after many years and at a small venue like the Beacon Theater was a treat.

Comment

I caught Queensryche sometime last year on their Tribe tour, and only a few months before that when they toured with dream theater.

I was close enough to pay attention to Mike Stone on the tribe tour and my overall thought was that while I'm sure he's a good guitar player, he didn't seem to really fit in in sound or style to the rest of the band. I was dissapointed several times when he didn't play the old solos, just did his own thing. His sound was dry and raw, which seems really out of place to me for that band. I'm glad he has impressed some of you guys though, maybe I caught him on one of those "I don't care" nights.

I havn't heard about this new mindcrime stuff, I hope it's good.

Comment

Mike is playing way more of Chris's solo's. On the dream Theater tour, he was still learning the songs. Geoff and the guys encouraged him to play his style, and not copy Chris to the tee. That's why he played his own solo's. The mind crime stuff is more true to the originals. I never did make it to the show in Chicago, so nothing new to report.
                                1992 Dean ML
                                2004 Epiphone Flying V
                                2005 Epiphone Dot
                                2009 Fender Stratocaster
                                2006 Fender P Bass
                                Custom Pedalboard