No announcement yet.

Steve "Steamin" Clark vs. Phil Collen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steve \"Steamin\" Clark vs. Phil Collen?

i agree with the above. That Steve was the feel guy, who was Truly the Riffmaster, and Phil was the technician, but fuckin' awesome players. i loved steve's solos.

man, when i started playing guitar, they were the reason i kept going. I remember sitting in my room for the first time (they were the only band, other than Queensryche, that i actually tried to figure out the solos), for 3 hours, with a stereo, pen, paper, and that guitar, learning stuff like Armegeddon It, Animal, all the Pyromania tunes...i must've copped that solo to Photograph so many damn times...

that Article on Steve reminded me how much that guy's songs impacted my life...R.I.P., buddy, SMC...
    and his les pauls and firebirds are still the coolest damn things.

Comment

I thought Phil was more technical but Steve was more of a feel player and much more of a badass!

Comment

In my opinion....Steve was the coolest one in the band. I've always been a fan of players like him. Ones that do more with less. Throwing off a very cool vibe & presence & playing with all the emotion & feel sometimes goes further than technical skill.

Comment

OK, so most of us are saying Steve was the "feel" guy and Phil was the "shred fiend." Which of them played the solos on these DL songs?:

Photograph, Rock of Ages, Too Late for Love, Rock Rock till you Drop, Me and My Wine, and Bringin' on the Heartbreak. These are my favorite solos but I never knew who actually did them...
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Steve did Bringing on the Heartbreak. Keep in mind Phil didn't join until most of Pyromania was recorded. On Pyromania, I often wonder if any of Pete's solos were left in the final mix, or if Phil recorded solos over Petes. I know Phil did lay some solos down after he joined. Photograpgh and Rock of Ages sound like Phil to me.

Comment

Phil is definitely the better player, but Steve had that "Rock God" swagger that only a few can convincingly pull off.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                OK, so most of us are saying Steve was the "feel" guy and Phil was the "shred fiend." Which of them played the solos on these DL songs?:

Photograph, Rock of Ages, Too Late for Love, Rock Rock till you Drop, Me and My Wine, and Bringin' on the Heartbreak. These are my favorite solos but I never knew who actually did them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Photograph - Phil
                Rock of Ages - Phil
                Too Late for Love - Steve
                Rock Rock - Phil
                Me and My Wine - Steve
                Bringin' on the Heartbreak - Steve

I'm 99.9% sure that's right. All are GREAT songs too!!!

Comment

You forgot FFF-Foolin' where they trade off.

I often wondered how many of Pete's solos were salvaged in the final mix of Pyromania myself. I always loved how they listed Pete as only doing some "backing guitar tracks"...LOL!

Comment

I used to know how to play the solos to "Bringin' on the Heartbreak" note for note. Steve's sense of melody was amazing.

Did anyone read the article on him in this month's Guitar World. Just sad.

Comment

Best Def Leppard album... On Through The Night! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Nothing beats that first album for me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

that article just brought back all these memories...i loved that guy, that band. i watched their videos, and their Behind the Music, and the Ultimate Albums shows and the DL movie (as weird in parts as i thought it was), i loved that stuff... i liked the article, the first page though, was really kinda uh, captivating...yeah, i forgot hhow his demons affected him.

Comment

I have always been a Def Leppard fan. Joe Elliot spoke about Steve and said that he wore his guitar too low, hair was too long and his waist was <----> wide. His song was Freebird when he auditioned and he nailed it. He was everything a rock and roll guitar player should be.

As far is he more taleted than Phill, its really hard to say. They have different styles of playing, although they played the same music. We may tend to be be critical to what the band has done once since Steve's death. It contributes to many factors such as the introduction to grunge music and other 90s things that may have affected their playing styles.

Needless to say, I still enjoy their music and I have always liked them both. That's the main reason I just pruchaed my PC-1.

Comment

i think Leppard is in need of some direction, phil stated in a recent interview they felt lost playin their 80's material. they couldn't relate to it like they used too. i'll always be a die hard leppard fan... paper sun, scar, day after day, the truth?, back in your face, and promises sound just as good as anything pre 90's (i'm not saying BETTER but just as good). from what i've read steve was getting harder and harder to deal with so... it's not fair to either one of them to compare both have (had) greatness. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
                            Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                            Amp... Pioneer
                            Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Read the GW article, it was very illuminating. According to Steve, he barely played on Hysteria, because Mutt Lang was getting the more acurate, dead on Phil to play all this stuff. Steve was magic, but since he was more about the feel, it wouldn't meet Mutt's standards. I'm starting to see there was more going on than I knew, which contributed to Steve feeling more and more alienated from the rest of the band.

Comment

The "Too Late For Love" video from "In the Round" (?) is killer Steve Clark all the way. I always liked Steve's guitar work. I agree with bsteff666 all the way that he was one of the one's "that do more with less". I was always more of a fan of Steve than of Phil.

Comment

Working...
                                X