No announcement yet.

Steve "Steamin" Clark vs. Phil Collen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve "Steamin" Clark vs. Phil Collen?

Did anybody read the recent article about all the guitar hero players who had some tragedy in life? Well, they discussed Def Leppard and I was surprised that the writer claimed Steve Clark was not as good of a player as Phil Collen. He lacked the technical playing and high powered soloing of Collen. Anyone agree with that?! Geeze, I thought Steve ripped. Not that he was a shred fiend, but still. They're both good. That's like saying Jeff Watson is/is not better than Brad Gillis, right? Enlighten me...
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Re: Steve \"Steamin\" Clark vs. Phil Collen?

While I like Collen better, there has been something missing in their music ever since he went to that guitar jam in the sky..........

Comment

Phil Collen was the more technically-oriented, chops player of the two, while Steve Clark was the amazing riff writer with the more feel-oriented approach to playing. IMHO, they made a great team, balancing eachs other's strengths and weaknesses perfectly. Who cares if Steve couldn't shred a solo, because Phil could when it was required. No one is busting on Jimmy Page for his sloppy soloing, because he churned out monster riffs constantly and effortlessly.

Comment

I think they lost it after Steve died. He wrote some really good riffs and melodies
        93 USA Soloist EDS
        USA HT6 Juggernaut
        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I agree - lets face it, Def Leppard since Steve aren't a patch on what they were with him....even though I really like Vivian's playing
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I agree - lets face it, Def Leppard since Steve aren't a patch on what they were with him....even though I really like Vivian's playing

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and I've always liked Vivian's playing as well. But his stuff with Def Leppard is just weak, maybe the worst of his career. Well, aside from Shadow King anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

i love Def Leppard pre 90s like metallica they should
              get stop't before they make more shit albums than good one's

Comment

I remember a VH1 Storytellers episode where Joe Elliot said that they record ballads, because that is the only chance they have of getting on the radio, just like Aerosmith. That pretty much sealed the coffin on them as far as I was concerned. Uh, how many copies did Hysteria and Adrenalize sell? How much money do you have? **** radio, just play what you want.

Comment

I agree that Steve was the man when it came to actually writing the riffs and Phil was the man for the solos. When they hired him during the Pyromania sessions, the album was done except for the solos. Phil's the man for going in there and churning out some awesome solos!

Comment

As much as I like Phil, I prefer pre-Phil era Def Leppard most. High and Dry is one of the best albums ever IMHO.

Comment

I read the artcile, but interpreted it a slightly different way. I thought the author was primarily referring to the period just before Steve's death, and that his chops had dropped significantly due to his alcohol/drug addictions. Not that he was always inferior to Phil.

I agree, though, their styles were different and complimented each other well. Skilled guitarists, both. And even better hook writers. A sad story.

As to Vivian's stint in DefLep, IMHO it seems like he's just going through the motions. Or it's just for a (relatively) stable income, or something like that. He doesn't seem to have his heart in it.

Comment

Hysteria lots of people say thats there best album
                        crap pyromania was there best album by far from there on
                        crap crap crap

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          As much as I like Phil, I prefer pre-Phil era Def Leppard most. High and Dry is one of the best albums ever IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. High and Dry makes it into my car CD player at least 2 or 3 times a year. They had a harder edge then. Although that might've had less to do with Phil, and more to do with Mutt.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. High and Dry makes it into my car CD player at least 2 or 3 times a year. They had a harder edge then. Although that might've had less to do with Phil, and more to do with Mutt.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            me to thats on my ipod when im in work

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Phil Collen was the more technically-oriented, chops player of the two, while Steve Clark was the amazing riff writer with the more feel-oriented approach to playing. IMHO, they made a great team, balancing eachs other's strengths and weaknesses perfectly. Who cares if Steve couldn't shred a solo, because Phil could when it was required. No one is busting on Jimmy Page for his sloppy soloing, because he churned out monster riffs constantly and effortlessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much completely true....according to Joe Elliot anyway.

Great band and I think they would have remained stronger through the 90's if Steve was still with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X