Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE JIMMY PAGE THREAD

lol ..ok Thanks!

We need a Page vs Blackmore thread..then we could bring out the meanness of the strat vs the paul players and all the fun go inbetweens.

Comment

i think eddie van halen is a direct result of a hyped up ritchie blackmore
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I agree... he definitely listened to Blackmore and Blackmore's concepts of obtaining tone, using the bar.

Comment

It's funny to hear that Page is sloppy, given that he'd spent crap load of time working as studio musician.
          Don't compare Page and Blackmore, since both are just awesome players, writers, improvisers. Blackmore said he wouldn't attack Page, cuz there was something special about his writing. No music theory, though.
          You see what MTV-like bastards have made to the world: we don't see Pages and Blackmore's of 90's and nowadays. All those Steve Wanks are already 40+ Corporations dictate the culture now, and that means faschism.
          Alrgiht... maybe some of you won't understand the words coming our of my drunk mind [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Zeppelin III was definitely my favorite as well, but when you get sidetracked on the issue of Jeff Beck he is definitely in my book the guitar hero of guitar heros. I had to run away from home to see the There and Back tour and it was definitely worth the repercussions. I never had such a big smile on my face when getting into trouble ever. When Wired came out I remeber hearing Blue Wind and being totally floored by it. Hearing that album made me realize there's alot more to music than just hard rock. Another one to check out is Rough and Ready kinda R&B and some of his best stuff ever. And someone mentioned Blackmore, he's another HUGE one for me. I'm going to see him do his Renaissance thing this weekend should be interesting, my kids really dig it, I can hear Blackmores night coming out of their room right now!!!!
            http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

you saw the "there and back tour" ?
              you are my hero, i am so jealous, please tell me about it.

Comment

I saw em at the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh. HAd 10th row seats. Definitely one of the best show ever. He had Mo Foster and Simon Phillips (same rhythm section as the 1st MSG album) with Tony Hymas on keyboards. I was prabably 16 at the time. They played all the cool instrumental stuff, even played the Beverly Hillbillys theme song. The only song with vocals the whole night was Going Down which Beck stepped up to the mic and belted that one out. I even have some really bad pics from that show around here somewhere. He played a tele for a good part of that show.

Comment

a tele huh? i figured he'd bust out a paul for alot of the fat sound on that record.

Comment

Just a strat and a tele as I recall, but it has been 25 or so years.

Comment

I think the last time that Beck really used a Les Paul was on Blow By Blow in '75, and he was already phasing it out by then in favor of his strats. Of course, he could play a Hondo and make it sound amazing...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Anywho..I've said it before here, when I heard Since I've been lovin you, it just floored me, moreso than Heartbreaker, or Livin Lovin.

[/ QUOTE ]

The live version of Since I've been lovin you from The Song Remains the Same always give me goosebumps, especially the intro and the 1st lead break. His playing might be called "sloppy" because it's not machine-gun picked, but I *wish* I could play sloppy like that!! Page's picking dynamics is another often under estimated talent of his. Going from clean passages to great lead tone with just a Marshall and LP with pretty much no other effects (not counting the theramin! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) is equally astounding to me.
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Sloppy? If it sounds good, who cares. And GODDAMN does it sound good. It doesn't get any better than Zep. Even their (comparably) worse stuff they did blows 99% of music out of the water. If I could time travel, top 3 three things to do is see them live. Sadly, the DVD will have to suffice.

Comment

Working...
                          X