Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH AGAIN!!! Style Gear etc.

Few things here guys

1. I see Ed dong all these Tap and slide type things and it doesn't appear that he is muting all the strings with either hand a times. I try to do that stuff and it feels like my finger is going over a cheese grater, do you need a certain setup to do this stuff, like NOT using jumbo frets ")

2. When actually looking at tabs of guitar solos and stuff, I can actually kinds ssee what guys like Lynch and Rhoads are doing style wise, but whe nI look at VH stuff, I HAVE NO CLUE, it looks like there are notes everywhere and anywhere on the neck and in and out of whatever key he may be in.

The ONLY thing I maybe can see and I could be wrong is that there is a bit of Harmonic minor going on in some of his stuff.

Can anyone explain his style to me , and whatever happend to the little Tray\table thing that he used back in the day? i neveer actually saw him use it, but saw it on the backs of his guitars. Was this a bad idea kinda thing that just didn't work out?

3. It also seems to me the stuff he did on the first album is as I described above, and that the second album had more of a straight ahead kind of approach. I say that cause I can play some of the leads of that album, but not most of the first album.

Then , it also seems to me that Women and Children first is hardly mentioned about anything alot, whether it is his playing or his sound , is it not one of the more popular VH albums among diehard VH fans?

My last ? ,and I'm sorry for all these dumb ones tonight, but . Can someone give me the proper tab for the chorus and outro to "On Fire" ? I have a few tabls but they all seem wrong.

Thanks again guys for the help and support [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: EVH AGAIN!!! Style Gear etc.

Evening.

The VH Method tape/DVD by Curt Mitchell explain the VH technique quite well and it is probably easier to watch than read about it (my opinion). He covers bits and pcs
    from all the albums up until the making of the lessons (which at that time was, Unlawful, I believe) but the emphasis is on stuff from VH 1. He also covers the last part of the run from "On fire" solo. Not sure if you were talking about that run or the one at the very end.

Doing the tap/slide just takes practice. Gilbert & Lynch do it too. Think of it more like a wiping motion.

He used the tray (wood then plastic) for the 1984 tour
    during his guitar solo. I do not think he used it again
    after. It is tough for me to remember that far back but the
    sound reminded me a lot like Jeff Watson's eight finger technique.

Again, Curt's tapes (there are 3 for VH), in my opinion, cover the licks and tricks of VH 1 quite well. Wait until you see the dude do the 1 st part of the "Ice Cream Man" solo at full speed. Mind boggling stretch. Good luck. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey,
      1)As lotsa80sgtrs said,the tap/slide thing just takes repetition,the more you do it the more natural it'll feel!!
      2)Ed didn't really think/use scales,more like patterns that just sounded good to him(for example,the aformentioned "Ice Cream Man" intro lick!!),some notes may not be correct scale/theory wise but the patterns sound f*ckin awesome,if it sounds good,it is good!!
      3)Some do seem simpler on VHII but there are also some amazing solos on that one too,also love his tone on that album,it's amazing how it sounds yet it's not that much gain/distortion!!
      Women & Children First is one of my favorite VH albums,"Fools","Romeo Delight","In A Simple Rhyme",all amazing tunes!!
      Not sure about the tab,there must be a fairly accurate transcription out there somewhere,try looking at JKLutherie's site!!
      Always love talkin VH!!LOL!!Here's my 84' Charvel Black/Yellow,I really need to get better pics updated,I've since restored it to it's original V-trem!!
      http://www.chuckscharvels.com/evh.htm

Comment

Ya Chuckplatter VHII has my favorite all time guitar sound on it "Outta Love Again", what a great solo! I have VH Tabs in Powertab an d Guitar pro format PM me and let me know which you want and I'll email them to you.
        Now chuck go get that Black and yellow and show me the into to Means Streets again LOL!
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I was hoping you had it down now better than me Nick & could show me what I'm doing wrong bro!!LOL!!

Comment

All I've been playing for the last 2 weeks is Yngwie and Zeppelin ( now that I've got that Ibanez I can play with all those alternate tunings) Just relearned the Rain Song last night, and I'm getting closer to nailing Far Beyond the Sun all the way through! (well you know sort of LOL!)
            BTW you've got email

Comment

Back atcha bro!!Thanx!!!!!

Comment

Nick,

I have the guitr pro tabs taht you hooled me up with, but I can't find hardly any that are from Women adn Children first, adn teh one I did find for On Fire , the part in question didn't sound rigt, it has nothing to do with the solo, it's the part where Dave sayig " Good God Ya'll, I'm on fire, then again as the song fades out to end.

I tsounds like it has a bit of delay on whatever he is playing.
                Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

E min 7, D, G Flat min7 , open E string, that's what he's doing during the fade out. Pm me and let me know what songs you are looking for , maybe I can help out.

Comment

Yep, those are the chords. And he has some echo/delay on too.
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                    X