The System Has Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The System Has Failed

I love the fact that Chris Poland is playing on the album. Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed Marty's playing more, but it was a real treat to hear the original lead guitarist playing on a Megadeth album again.

Comment

I got no prob with Poland at all I think he did a good job just that I grew up on Martydeth
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I was surprised at how little Chris played. They made such a big deal of his being on the new record, but he does less than half the solos. Check out his guitar endorsement video on Yamaha's site. It made me feel so sorry for him.

Hero was supposed to be a return to form after Risk (which, apart from the silly song Crush 'Em, I didn't think was all that bad), but that had some real stinker songs on it. 1000 Times Goodbye, Promises, and that one that was basically Am I Evil with different lyrics are pretty much un-listenable. Moto Psycho and the title track are goofy but I can deal with them. I didn't like Return to Hangar until I heard it in the context of Rude Awakening, directly following Hangar 18. But the best track on the record was probably Burning Bridges with its over-the-top wailing vocals.

The System Has Failed has a LOT better songwriting, but there's something very awkward about it. Compare Kick the Chair with other politically charged songs like Peace Sells or Foreclosure of a Dream; and then compare Back in the Day with other songs about the heavy metal music scene like Rattlehead or the Killing Road (or even Roadman off the MD.45 record, or Hit the Lights off Kill 'Em All). The perspective is definitely more... I don't want to say more complacent... more jaded.

I know we're all getting older, but I don't like for my heavy metal heroes to remind me of that.
        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          more like the Dave Mustaine Experience,

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

TWNAH struck me as a awkward album, where they tried to make it sound raw, but then ruined it with the stupid vocal samples ("1000 Times Goodbye" and the title track), overproduced sappy crap ("Promises") and a very contrived attempt to win back older fans without alienating the few that actually enjoyed Risk. Personally, I think that between Cryptic Writings and TWNAH, there was enough material for one good album...and a load of crap left over.

And then there's TSHF. Again, the guitar tone is pretty dry, which is watered down a bit by the production. Still, the drums and bass still sound 100% Megadeth despite being played by session musicians, leading me to believe that with Mustaine calling the shots, the other players can come and go without changing the sound much. The songs are much stronger, and although there is a bit of cheese (hello, LOSE THE SAMPLED VOCALS), I didn't feel the strong urge to skip songs.

Lyrically, Dave's writing is very hit-or-miss, but his arrangements are almost always great. I had hoped for something a little darker, with songs along the lines of "Go to Hell" and "Ashes in Your Mouth" instead of "Back in the Day". I can't complain, though.
            sigpic

Comment

At least there was no breadline [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

There is for Chris Poland... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Too much hype surrounds TSHF. It's almost as if people feel they need to like it just because Dave says it's awesome. Phooey! RISK had a few duds, but it's a helluva lot better songwriting and production than anything on TWNAH. IF DM had hyped RISK as much as TSHF instead of blaming Marty and Dan Huff for all his woes, RISK would have been accepted by more fans. Granted, the diehard thrashers will never accept RISK as anything but gimpy, but that's not the case. It's got more memorable songs than TWNAH and TSHF combined.
                  "POOP"

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, Megadeth never made anything worth listening to after CTE.

Comment

The guitar sound is so borring, but it has some great songs on it, Die dead enough, Kick the chair, Back in the day [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I think TWNAH is better too! more rockin somehow and alot more fun to play along to.
                      Too bad the phone conversations are on 1000 times goodbye, really ruins the great song.
                      Otherwise it's a solid record, More Megadeth than TSHF.

Comment

Between their last two albums, I think "Disconnect" and "The Scorpion" have been their strongest songs. My favorite album was Youthanasia, "Addicted to Chaos" being my favorite song. I seem to like the dark melodic songs Megadeth puts out rather than the full-force metal overtures. Seems they always have one or two really good ones on every album and then the rest could probably be stitched together to make a couple more good songs.

--Dan
                        My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Funny the Scorpian really was the song that stood out to me. CTE is another song that just really sticks out to me but Holy Wars might be my fav of all time. I think a lot has to do with mood... I didn't wnat to like TSHF but I was in the right mood when I put it in. When I put in TWNAH I listened to it twice and to the shelf it went... I gotta drag it out again maybe I would ike it more now ?

Comment

Okay, everybody's naming their fave Megadeth track. Mine's Set the World Afire. Which was actually the first Megadeth song Dave ever wrote (if you don't count Mechanix) and was originally even entitled "Megadeath." Megadeth is one of my top five favorite bands, so I'm not sure what it means that I think their first song was their best. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

This album was a major, major dissapointment. I don't like a single song on that album.
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Same here.

Comment

Working...
                                X