The System Has Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The System Has Failed

I take offence to that knock against NY guitar players.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I got the TSO album last year (it was at Sam's Club), what a joke. "Look at us, we did a sappy Christmas record! Give us some of that Mannheim Steamroller money!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta go where the money is....
      TSO is playing out at large venues; the CDs are selling big...way more than Savatage can pull! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Mechanix is the song that made me cringe the most on Rude Awakening. Dave just can't sing that high anymore, and it hurts to listen to.

If you think the volume reduction live is bad, go listen to the remasters. On CTE, Youthanasia, and Cryptic Writings, all of Marty's solos have come down in volume over the originals. On the remaster of RIP, the little bass doodle in "Take No Prisoners" had all th balls taken out of the tone. I love the music, but the guy has been on a spotlight hogging ego trip ever since they kicked his drunk ass out of Metallica. Major insecurity issues.

Comment

While I agree that squashing the bass fill on Take No Prisoners was very annoying, I don't see where that has anything to do with any "insecurity issues." He lost the vocal track for that song (and Five Magicks) and had to do a lot of re-construction on it. He made a bad choice, that's all. Let's see you mix eight albums all at once and get every little nuance right. Sounds more to me like you've got major vindictive issues.
          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I've been fortunate enough to see Al Pitrelli play live about 10 times (Morning Wood, Savatage, Megadeth, Sebastian Bach, TSO, O2'L). Anyone who thinks they can judge his playing just from listening to some CD's isn't seeing the full picture...His playing is versatile, ferocious and full of feeling. Put the spotlight on him and the dude will blow you away.

Comment

ID love to hear the morning wood cd, tony harnell is one of my favorite singers.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                While I agree that squashing the bass fill on Take No Prisoners was very annoying, I don't see where that has anything to do with any "insecurity issues." He lost the vocal track for that song (and Five Magicks) and had to do a lot of re-construction on it. He made a bad choice, that's all. Let's see you mix eight albums all at once and get every little nuance right. Sounds more to me like you've got major vindictive issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you explain the drop in volume on a lot of the non-Dave guitar solos? Why would he do that? It just makes me start thinking things... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I agree that remastering eight albums all at once is a huge PITA, but he screwed with a lot of stuff he was better off not screwing with. To a lot of us fans, those albums are sacred, and he changed the way things sounded drastically.

Comment

Is Rude Awakening good? i've been contemplating checking it out after i was impressed with Al's work in TSO.

Comment

The tempo changes on Youthanasia were also annoying. I know that the songs weren't all originally written at 120 BPM, but thanks to Max Norman, that's the way we came to know them. Dave had said that some of the songs were actually *slower* than 120, but on the re-masters he only sped some of them up. He didn't slow any of them down (that I can tell).

Then there's the "bleeps" on the re-master of "These Boots." That track is un-listenable. They put an instrumental version on the website for free, which I think would have been a better solution to put on the record.

As for "thinking things," I'm with you there. I'm a bit leery of the claim that he lost the vocals on those two songs off RIP. He had said he felt bad making Marty sing about Panzers terminating, or whatever (Marty is supposedly of Jewish descent). Then losing all of Lee's MD.45 vocals — he's said he's gotten a lot of requests to re-record those songs with him singing (if only he hadn't missed the key so many times). How do you lose PART of a master track, anyway?

Give me some examples of the leads you're talking about. I only listened to the re-mixes a couple of times, so I'm not sure what you mean. Otherwise, I only listen to the classic versions (which still aren't out of distribution) because the bonus tracks really mess up my enjoyment of the albums. They should have done the extras like Iron Maiden did, on separate discs.
                    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

All of Youthanasia sounds like all of Marty's solos are a bit lower. It is painfully obvious on PSBWB that all of Poland's stuff is much lower in the mix than Dave's. At times he sounds swallowed by the rhythm section, while Dave always cuts right through, almost too loud sometimes.

I can only assume (if I'm being nice) that losing parts is possible, due to the wonders of analog tape. If vocals were done on one tape, guitars on another, etc, and then they were all mixed together at the end...it is quite possible. I can't imagine him really wanting to recut vocal tracks that he sang when he was 29yo.

Comment

Yesterday I watched Rude Awakening again. I love both Al and Marty (my hero), Al's got the stage presence band nails everything but he can't touch Marty's vibrato!
                        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

check out "Symphony of Destruction" on the Rude Awajening DVD. Al Pitrelli adds a cool intro to the song...as Mustaine introduces the band. He adds a cool interlude where he plays the beginning of Symphony using octaves...simple, but adds a creepy feel to the song...it sounds brillant

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            To me megadeth ain't megadeth without Marty... He wasw awesome at NAMM and a real cool person IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Bunch of good stuff came out way before Marty [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              To me megadeth ain't megadeth without Marty... He wasw awesome at NAMM and a real cool person IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Bunch of good stuff came out way before Marty [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it did and Marty also did his best work before Megadeth...
                              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Crap, I wish you would have hollered and I would have sent you my DVD. That damn thing is painful to watch. Now that you have it, I want you two play close attention to two things. Notice how Al's volume is decreased on his solos, yet Dave's level is just fine. Also, watch for Dave's "go to hell look" that he flips over at Al during one of Al's solos. It's as if Dave is saying "ok phucker, we know you can play, now get out of my limelight!"

And finally, try not to gag during Train of Consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually after watcching this twice... I think Al's solos cut more than Dave's. Dave's solo in sweating was hard to hear compared to some of al's.... I guess it is subjective but after a second view I don't hear the muting of Al some others claim but then again I drink too much
                                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                                X