Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dave mustaine vs kirk hammet

First of all it's Hammett.

Second of all, Mustaine might be the better player, technically, but Kirk has delivered more classic solos for me. I like both Megadeth and Metallica, but Metallica is one of my all-time favorite bands. Nothing touches them, imho, at ca. 1986/1987.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Its funny how everyone back in the 80s loved the Hammster and hated Dave, and now everyone dumps on Hamster. Point out any song on their current albums that he is responsible for. None. His legacy cant be tarnished by what Jaymz and Larz do. There was a reason why he was voted as a top guitarist every year during the 80s in all the guitar mags..............Face it, Hammy is a great guitarist........

Comment

80's: Kirk
        90's and on: Dave

I think that's pretty fair

Comment

Dave

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            Accept2 is the kind of guy who would interrupt two siblings arguing over who was their parents' favorite, by pointing out that they were both adopted. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It couldnt have been stemmed from this? No, of course not. It stemmed from a 3 year conspiracy involving aliens, green jelly and JFK............ [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why perpetuate the BS? Isn't the fighting one of the things that most people dislike about web forums in general?

Despite what anyone thinks, this is not about politics or about me trying to impress my fiance. This is about me trying to step in front of what is a potential powderkeg.

Accept2 - It's obvious that you don't like GWAR. That's fine. Chalk it up in your book as necrotechno has bad taste.

necrotechno - relax, it's a difference in opinion. He doesn't like gwar. That's fine, you chalk it up in your book as him having bad taste.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

If that politics and girlfriend line is directed at me, I already apologized to you for that, TEKKY. I was simply stating what I think is true of ANY Web forum: if an admin tells you to cut it out, best thing to do is to cut it out. You can attest that I've learned that by experience. It was as I said, a survival tactic, and no jibe to you was meant whatsoever.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                There was a reason why he was voted as a top guitarist every year during the 80s in all the guitar mags..............

[/ QUOTE ]

That may have been because he was in the most popular metal band at the time. When I was 12 or 13 I actually sent away one of those reader's poll survey things to some magazine. I voted for each of the musicians in Iron Maiden as the best in their respective categories. This was before I'd heard of Yngwie, Gilbert, Lynch and all the other wailing guitarists out there, and I thought Smith & Murray were the hottest sh!t around. Kirk's band was the most popular metal band on the planet & most of the teenage readership of these magazines thought Kirk's sh!t didn't stink. His topping of most magazines hottest was more about his band's popularity than an indication of his ability. I don't imagine the Paul Gilbert or Shawn Lane camps had the voting power of the Metallica fanboys at the time
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Ride the Lightning had some cool leads,Master of Puppets too!!Since then I wish someone would smack him over the head with that damn Wah pedal!!

As for who's better??Completely subjective,just a matter of opinion!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    First of all it's Hammett.

Second of all, Mustaine might be the better player, technically, but Kirk has delivered more classic solos for me. I like both Megadeth and Metallica, but Metallica is one of my all-time favorite bands. Nothing touches them, imho, at ca. 1986/1987.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, To me Kirk has always had more soul in his solo's were dave has always been more technical or a speed demon. But for my taste i have always preferred heart felt solo's over speed. Now if you can combine both then that is great, some of my favorite guitarists were. George Lynch, the queensryche duo, and i loved Mick Mars slow but heart felt solo's. Of course i idiolized Randy and Jake E. Lee!

Comment

• Re: dave mustaine vs kirk hammet

[ QUOTE ]
                      I wish someone would smack him over the head with that damn Wah pedal!!

[/ QUOTE ]
                      There was a quote from Kirk once about how he wanted his coffin to be a big Dunlop Cry-Baby box. I hadn't even thought of the possibility that he might be killed by somebody beaning him with one! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        First of all it's Hammett.Second of all, Mustaine might be the better player, technically, but Kirk has delivered more classic solos for me. I like both Megadeth and Metallica, but Metallica is one of my all-time favorite bands. Nothing touches them, imho, at ca. 1986/1987.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with this, To me Kirk has always had more soul in his solo's were dave has always been more technical or a speed demon. But for my taste i have always preferred heart felt solo's over speed. Now if you can combine both then that is great, some of my favorite guitarists were. George Lynch, the queensryche duo, and i loved Mick Mars slow but heart felt solo's. Of course i idiolized Randy and Jake E. Lee!

[/ QUOTE ]"Classic" is in the ear of the listener, and Kirk's solos are in the middle of classic Metallica songs, so they ride the coattails of the songs. He does have some good solos, but to me he's neither very heartfelt nor very technical. When he plays slow he seems like a drunk or someone off-balance; when he plays fast he follows the most basic patterns he can. I can appreciate soulful players as well as shredders, but he's just mediocre at both. As was said above, he won the polls because he was the guy in Metallica, just like Cobain won polls in the 90s. It didn't make Cobain a great player either, though compared to Cobain, Kirk does sound great. He's not bad,but he's overrated because he plays for Metallica, which is a band that doesn't require a virtuoso - hell, they don't even need a lead player at all now if St. Anger is calling the trend!
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          First of all it's Hammett.Second of all, Mustaine might be the better player, technically, but Kirk has delivered more classic solos for me. I like both Megadeth and Metallica, but Metallica is one of my all-time favorite bands. Nothing touches them, imho, at ca. 1986/1987.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with this, To me Kirk has always had more soul in his solo's were dave has always been more technical or a speed demon. But for my taste i have always preferred heart felt solo's over speed. Now if you can combine both then that is great, some of my favorite guitarists were. George Lynch, the queensryche duo, and i loved Mick Mars slow but heart felt solo's. Of course i idiolized Randy and Jake E. Lee!

[/ QUOTE ]"Classic" is in the ear of the listener, and Kirk's solos are in the middle of classic Metallica songs, so they ride the coattails of the songs. He does have some good solos, but to me he's neither very heartfelt nor very technical. When he plays slow he seems like a drunk or someone off-balance; when he plays fast he follows the most basic patterns he can. I can appreciate soulful players as well as shredders, but he's just mediocre at both. As was said above, he won the polls because he was the guy in Metallica, just like Cobain won polls in the 90s. It didn't make Cobain a great player either, though compared to Cobain, Kirk does sound great. He's not bad,but he's overrated because he plays for Metallica, which is a band that doesn't require a virtuoso - hell, they don't even need a lead player at all now if St. Anger is calling the trend!

[/ QUOTE ]

It just goes to show that each person has there own taste, me personaly i have always thought Kirks Solo's fit perfectly into the songs (older stuff) I havent really been a big into them for a long time so i am not sure of the newer stuff! Personaly i was never a huge fan of Dave's music, I liked a few songs here or there, but that was about it.

Personaly i also feel the best thing we ever got was having dave kicked out, when you think about metallica probaly would have never been the same, once again in my personal opinion i just prefer James voice over Dave's. In the long run i am glad it went down like it did, we ended up with two bands that wrote some good songs!

Comment

Working...
                          X