No announcement yet.

Prog bands with a death metal sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prog bands with a death metal sound.

I like that entire CD, but yes, Face Of My Innocence is definitely one of the standout tracks on that recording.

Comment

Yeah,Arsis is a really cool band!

Comment

I'm not tellin'...until I'm politely asked.

but my boy Mordor is on the right track.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

OK...I'll give you one ..."Mercenary" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

OK...two...Sceptic

OK...three..."Martyr"

OK...this is the last one....I swear..."Symbyosis"

I'll will tell no more. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Mors Principium Est has some new stuff on their website.
          web page

Altered State is full song.

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I'll will tell no more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Promise? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My personal favorites have already been listed here, but I'll list them anyway.

Opeth
              Arsis - glad I turned the JCF onto these guys! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Martyr
              Sadus
              Cynic
              Death (the last 3 discs can border on Prog being that was the direction Chuck wanted to take the band in)
              Athiest (as if this band didn't die a very untimely death)
              Pestilence
              And if you want a little doomier death/prog...check out Daylight Dies

All good shit gents!!

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Hrm... How about Edge of Sanity's Crimson II? Not exactly prog, but I think that it'll be enjoyable.

For more tech death...

Gorguts
                Spawn Of Possession
                Sleep Terror (technical death metal plus jazz sections)

[ QUOTE ]
                Arsis - glad I turned the JCF onto these guys! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I heard about them from my roommate. That's what rules about living in a house with 3 other people who are metal fanatics, we pass CDs around quite a bit.

Comment

"Promise?"

Yep...(!)

you guys are doing fine on your own....keep it coming ..when the ideas run out...

I'll chime in

if I need to.. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Actually, I think your recommendation of 4 bands was probably the best thing you could've done. If you nailed him with a list of 50 different bands (which you could probably do without trying) he might have been overwhelmed and not given each of the recommended bands a proper listen.

I think Gold Moon Soloist already has his hands full with bands to check out as it is. I'm interested in hearing back from him to see what he's enjoyed so far.

NP: Astriaal - As Mist Befell The Ruins

Comment

Never heard Mercenary,I'm downloading a song from their site!

Comment

They were the highlight of Alanta Power Prog festival one year...

My progster buddy from Antithesis...who hates any "death" vox was floored but them..and has became a fan of "some" death stuff now...go figure

it takes a while but some people see the light.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

WARRIORX7.. actually turned me onto Arsis...which inturn introduced me to their label "Willowtip" records...which led me to another great band much like Arsis.."Caphanaum"..their Fractured album is killer..

My fave of all these bands is still Symbyosis..Cris is one of my all time faves now..

I used to talk to the Guys from Glory Blister and they sent me their Art Bleed as a demo about fopurs years ago....it is sign by all of them with a big thank you note..they are very nice homies from Italy.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

There is another COB type band fron Finland who morphed into a total Prog metal Band ...mostly clean vocals now...and that is Throne of Chaos..now know as TOC...singers from Evergrey and Dream Evil guest on their last one...titled Loss Angeles..sounds like COB mixed with Dream Theatre....I like their harsher older stuff better.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          There is another COB type band fron Finland who morphed into a total Prog metal Band ...mostly clean vocals now...and that is Throne of Chaos..now know as TOC...singers from Evergrey and Dream Evil guest on their last one...titled Loss Angeles..sounds like COB mixed with Dream Theatre....I like their harsher older stuff better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Menace And Prayer is amongst my favorite albums in that genre. But every other CD after it has been nothing like that debut. The catchy riffs are just not there and the bad ass aggressive vocals are completely gone. Pervertigo was bad just because absolutely nothing went right on that record. It didn't even sound like the same band! Loss Angeles was better vocally but riff wise the magic is gone. I heard they changed their style so drastically because people were always comparing them to Children of Bodom and saying how they were just copying them.

Have you heard of Omnium Gatherum (from Finland)? Their first CD really impressed me but their second release was pretty boring.

Comment

The song I've downloaded is cool,and they got a kick ass production!Damn,so many albums and so little money! [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I think Gold Moon Soloist already has his hands full with bands to check out as it is. I'm interested in hearing back from him to see what he's enjoyed so far.

[/ QUOTE ] Oh man were do I start?. I will try and go through the bands I have listened to (based on what I was told here) and let you know what I thought of them... so far the list goes:

Orphaned Land
                              Opeth Wintersun
                              Ensiferum
                              Wood of Ypres
                              Forest Stream
                              Kayo Dot
                              Ephel Duath... Haven't gotten a chance to listen to anyone but Opeth. I am gonna start another thread about them because I have an important (to me anyways) question.

Into Eternity- Awesome! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Nevermore - unfreakin believable.

necrophagist- what can I say about these guys that hasn't been said already? Easily some of the most talented musicians I have ever heard. Again, unfreakin believable!

Artisan- Meh...

Alchemist- Didn't really like these guys too much.

Theory in practice
                              Illogicist- Awesome! I had some of their stuff already.
                              Cynic- Heard about these guys from the Death website.. They are cool!
                              Atheist- Same as Cynic
                              Sceptic
                              Nocturnus
                              Pestilence
                              Crypt of Kerberos
                              Sadist
                              Misanthrope
                              Gory Blister- I've been listening to these guys for a while as well. Amazing.
                              Acid Death
                              Candiria
                              Coprofago
                              Martyr- Haven't checked these guys out yet but they have gotten a few votes... I might have to.

Quo Vadis- I heard these guys when their songs were posted hear. Nothing but good things to say about them.. It's nice to have one of their members aboard the forum. They are METAL!

Arsis- Same boat as Martyr. (Haven't checked them out but I think I need to.)

Mors Principium Est,Throne of Chaos, Mercenary, Gorguts, Spawn Of Possession, Sleep Terror and Symbosis- Just got home to see their names were mentioned.. Looking into them. Didn't James Murphy play in Gorguts?
                              Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                              The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Didn't James Murphy play in Gorguts?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was a guest guitarist only on their first demo, 1990's "And Then Comes Lividity".
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X