No announcement yet.

Prog bands with a death metal sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prog bands with a death metal sound.

Check out the band "Haggard" classical death metal.

Comment

Omnium Gatherum .... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

...just got it in my last order...still in the wrapper..

I'm listening to Disarmonia Mundi right night with Speep Strid (vox) od Soilwork...I like it...cool meldoc / aggressive stuff..mis era soilwork..

speaking of whom...the sampler I got in my CM shipment of their new one "Stabbing the drama"..out March 8th...SUCKS!!!

Man I'm pissed...Soilwork is one of my all time faves...especially their first couple..

Just like In Flames these guys want to appeal to American media and dummied down their craft...they went all happy gay vocal ..like a Killswitch.....WTF!!!!

This new two songs totaly blow....it has the Korn-like production and vibe...what good is it dialing up a good tone if your going to fuck it up in the studio with that cookie cutter american BS...

They should stay what they are...and not worry about selling records...

Remember when In Flames came out in white jump suites ...they looked like freakin' Garbage men or something...

these guys are to good to try and hop on a trend..

OK Back to the thread...

I want to know what Gold Moon's preferance of "Prog" is ...with all the sub genres that make "prog" a pretty vast area..

I would assume that his intent is "prog" in the most popular and traditional way..which is from the Rush school of prog...like Dream Theatre / Fates Warning and the like...

or a more over the top and obscure like Watchtower / Spiral Architech / Lemur Voice...which is much more intense...with some pretty crazy times sigs..

Death + Traditional Prog would be such bands like alot mentioned ....especially Into Eternity / Mercenary / TOC (Loos Angeles) ....

Death + more crazy stuff...would be like more intense bands..Atheist / Sceptic / Symbyosis / Arsis..

Hey Guys just to mention this ...we have one of our very own "Severed Savior"...I don't have their new one yet...but I have their older "Forced To Bleed"...it is extreme grindcore with a touch of some cool jazzy movements...which has hints of Atheist...so they would fit more with the latter group IMO.

I would EVEN play some bass for these guys if they ever needed a touch of some really insane stuff ..I have a lot of old chops that would fit like a glove in thier style of metal...I'm all about insane ....especially on bass...just for a song or two..!!!!

I would like to play bass in a band like Atheist....at least I won't be too bored...

BTW....It is not death vox...but I'm a HUGE Control Denied fan...if you haven't heard Chuck Schuldiner (Death) do his prog thing...you must...well some people like under rocks

A prog band called Zero Hour is really killer too....also clean vocals..

you guys are impressing the living crap out of me...I don't think you need me around here anymore...wow I'm bummin'... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'll go thru my stuff and see if I can peep some more awesome proggy stuff..and while I'm doing it ...I'll listen to SYMBYOSIS!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

but I think I may be way too baked for this project...

so I'll think I'll check that tommorow... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Nighty Night... [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill- I think Dream Theater is prog. What I really like about prog is the general creativity you find in a lot of prog bands. What I strongly dislike (enough to make me want to stop listening to it after a while) is the utter lack of intensity. Into Eternity is a perfect example (to me anyways) of what I am looking for. Very creative in their guitaring and their drumming along with some clean vox, however also very intense with the guitaring and the drumming with some metal vox. It is a pretty even mixture IMO, which makes it interesting.
        Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
        The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Uh dunno really 'bout death metal but Sun Caged is worth checking out, very melodic and very technical, Marcel Coenen (very good gtr player/shredder) uses a lot Messuggah (sp?) type riffs whit his 7-string geetar.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

OK...this is the last one....I swear..."Symbyosis"

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choice. Looks like their new double CD will come out after all, too.
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

My progster buddy from Antithesis...who hates any "death" vox was floored but them..and has became a fan of "some" death stuff now...go figure

[/ QUOTE ]

So how is Krusty, anyway? Their new demos sound killer. I think I'll be seeing him in Chi-town in a month or so. Any chance of you wandering up for Powerfest?

[ QUOTE ]

WARRIORX7.. actually turned me onto Arsis...which inturn introduced me to their label "Willowtip" records...which led me to another great band much like Arsis.."Caphanaum"..their Fractured album is killer..

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to check out Alarum, if you haven't already - the best Cynic-style band since, well, Cynic. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Sun Caged is far from being Death Metal though, FAAAR.

I hear more of Vai-ish influences in Marcel's playing.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I know but some of their songs have brutal sound.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Cool Gold moon ...now I know EXACTLY what you want...Mercenary is what you want and stuff like that!!!

Michael how ya doin man...no I won't be going to Progpower with the Krustmiester...and Antithsis is doing better than ever without Ty Cook (my friend and singer)....Their new guy fits their style much better than Ty did...I heard a few samples and it sounds better than anything they ever done..Me and Ty were impressed to be honest...

They should do well...they been hacking at the bit for a while and never really quite hit the mark...this time I think they may ..they are shopping for a label because they were dropped by Massacre / Nightmare I guess..I truly wish them well...they are the best thing going here ....well until I get out there..if I get out there..

They have been wanting me to join Antithesis ever since they strated but that is their vision not mine...it is hard to get good musicians to carry out one vision , all on the same page.

Krusty "May" play drums for me...in studio ...if I can't locate a "good" drummer....at least Paul can play to a click...unlike my Magilla Gorilla stupid ass drumer that I just canned!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

I think next year I will venture out to the progpoer with Krusty...we were just talking about it...

Talk to ya later dude!!!!

Hows Division doin'... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

That dude in Sun Caged was or is in a Satch tribute...he's a very good player!!!

That Lemur Voice that I mentioned earlier was his band as well..

Comment

check out dan swano's moontower. cool progressive songs with dan's death vox. strange mixture, but it works.

Comment

Suncaged isn't death...but very prog!
                          I can't believe I left Symbiosis out of my list. I can thank Bill for turning me onto them! Returning the Arsis favor! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Alarum is another killer one I forgot to mention. Yes...very Cynic-like!

Comment

Yes I have Alarum...that is a good label it seems....very good stuff

I can't wait till that new Symbyosis comes out.

Dan Swano has one of the coolest voices ...for clean and death metal...

I have his Nightingale and his Moontower stuff...and of course Edge of Sanity

BTW..I forgot to look at my stuff...I'll get to it tonight.

Comment

OK Gold Moon baby..like promised I checked my goodies..

first I must mention the band that got me into this genre..Coroner...their latest studio "Grin" is their most proggy and extremely ESSENTIAL IMO..

The next is Death...again..the latter era stuff..Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverence are also ESSENTIAL!!!

OK I took a quick scan at my stuff and I noted anything with harsh vox that has a progresive element. Like I said this still may cover a very wide range of Death + Prog music.

Here goes..

alot of them have been mentioned..but I'll just go down the line of the stuff I have..

ARCTURUS...OK this is more of a progressive black metal band...along the lines of COVENANT , LUNARIS (great) and Eric Petrsons DRAGONLORD...this all has a very black metal flavor..but I love this stuff..pretty damn technical , dark and atmospheric..
                              ARSIS...already mentioned ..on willowtip records
                              ALARUM...again already mentioned..also on willowtip...insane stuff.
                              ATHEIST...alredy mentioned...amazing , classic stuff!
                              BELIEVER...OK this is the christian band..great band...very cool technical death/ prog / thrash
                              CAPHARNUAM...also on willowtip...awesome band like arsis.
                              CYNIC...focus is essential death prog..a true classic!
                              EMBRACED..excellent death / black / prog that sounds a bit like EVERGREY with harsh vox...
                              EXTOL...another christian band that I worship...killer death / thrash / prog.
                              GODGORY...very melodic ...very dynamic..great guitarist..killer tunes and production.
                              GORY BLISTER...awesome dagos that remeind my of older DEATH.
                              INTO ETERNITY...very traditional prog with clean and harsh vox..great guitarist..
                              FARMAKON...scandanavian death prog..melodic and technical
                              MARTYR...thes guys are awesome..several mentions alredy
                              MEKONG DELTA...not really harsh vox..but extremley awesome classic stuff...worth to investigate.
                              Mercenary...very traditioanl Prog with great dynamics and clean / harsh vox...much like INTO ETERNITY
                              MORS PRINCIPIUM EST...killer stuff...thrash / death / prog
                              NECROPHAGIST...again on willotip...very brutal and very technical...like arsis , capharnaum ,,etc.
                              MINDFIELD...think a progressive load era Metallica...that is what it sounds like to me.
                              NOCTURNUS...classic death/ thrash / prog...The Key is their best by far!
                              OMNIUM GATHERUM.."spirits and august light" alredy mentioned...great stuff, cool solos..melodic death / prog
                              MUTANT...memebers of THEORY IN PRACTICE...doing an even more brutal black / prog...TIP..is better.
                              MOONTOWER...Dan Swano has some of the coolest clean and harsh vox around
                              NOVEMBERS DOOM...very melodic and dark...dynamic...sounds like Opeth and My dying Bride.
                              NO RETURN...killer death/ thrash / prog..I like this.
                              PESTILENCE...classic thrash prog..alredy mentioned and for good reason....may sound a bit dated
                              SADIST...above the light..pretty cool death / prog..but this band took a dump later on..
                              SADUS...mentiones already..my boy Steve DiGiorgio on bass
                              SCEPTIC....AWESOME technical death / prog..ESSENTIAL
                              SOLEFALD....hard to catogorize...very different ..clean / harsh..ecclectic prog..there is a song called "buy my sperm"..
                              THRONE OF CHAOS (TOC)...started off COB style and morphed slowly into a total polished clean prog band, now called TOC..good stuff.
                              TOUNIQUET...another christian metal band that I am pretty found of...the latter stuff had harsher vox...but the earlier materialis great!
                              WINDS...this is a must hear.. I love this fucking band...there is hints of harsher vox...but mostly clean..amazing guitarist!
                              WOLVERINE..not really death vox..but harsh at times..very polished prog...in vein of lighter Evergrey..
                              EWIGET.."radio lxlan"Dark side of the moon PINK FLOYD with death vox...cool!
                              CRUTCH..."hope prevails"..KILLER "death" styl christian death / prog...great band.
                              TEXTURES..."polars"...a progressive mid era soilwork style..
                              ILLOGICIST...another killer band that someone has alredy mentioned for good reason.
                              SPINAL CORD..."remedy"...decent Black / death / prog
                              SPASTIC INK...this is all instrumental..and SICK...just in case you haven't heard this...because you must!

then ther is stuff that is much more brutal...more along the lines of Necrophagist and the like..

bands like BROKEN HOPE and DIABOLIC who are ver tight and technical that can make you dizzy at times....especially when you're smoking lots of gonge.

well I hope that helps

alot of this stuff was mentioned already
                              which impressed the shit out of me...looks like we have some serious metal heads on this thread!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh yeah I forgot SYMBYOSIS...one of my very faves!!!

but we know this already.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

OH and theory in practice...they have a total of three discs...and they kick ass...but I'm not to keen on the vocals..they gotten better

OK there is some dirty prog for ya... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X