Nile live… Karl Sander’s King V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nile live… Karl Sander’s King V

Yesterday I went to the “No Mercy Festival” in Hamburg, which is basically a long evening of brutal metal bands.
    There were seven bands playing: Six Feet Under, Nile, Dark Funeral, Disbelief, Dying Fetus, Cataract and Wykked Wytch.

I just want to comment on Nile because they totally blew me away once again; just like when I saw them the first time in 2003 on the Wacken Open Air Festival.
    They played a total of eight songs, three of them from their new album “Annihilation of the Wicked” which will be released soon (and which I will buy the day it comes out!)
    Karl Sanders used his Dean V for the first few songs, then switched to his custom Jackson King V (one-hum reversed headstock with a nice Egyptian(?) graphic).
    Now that’s a great looking guitar!
    However, what impressed me most was the new bass player Joe Payne, who is just 20 years old but totally ripped it up on the bass.

I got to meet all four members of Nile after their show, and Joe told me he had to learn the whole set in just five days! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
    Karl then just called him the “Wunderkind”.
    They were all really nice and down to earth, it was a pleasure to meet them and to have a little chat with Karl about his King V and Jacksons in general. He actually seemed really happy to hear that I own several Jacksons myself.

If you get the chance to see Nile live, do it!
    They are great guys and guarantee an amazing live performance.
    http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Re: Nile live… Karl Sander’s King V

Cool stuff!
    Did the new guy do vocal duties as well?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

How did Dying Fetus sound? what songs did they play if you can recall. much thanks! \m/

Comment

I have seen Nile live, but apparently it was before he had his Jackson (?). BTW, how exactly does one go about meeting the band dudes? The venue in which I saw them was quite large and it was a large bill too, very chaotic.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Maybe there was a meet & greet stage or he got a pass.

Comment

I've met the guys from Nile three times now in the Cathouse in Glasgow. It's a small venue, and the guys are cool as fuck. They chat for ages, and sign autographs. Well cool.

Comment

Speaking of Nile, I just saw Karl on a web site with this flying V with the most excessivly long/sharp/pointy headstock I have ever seen in my life.

Check it out: http://www.kxkguitars.com/
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I think that new bass player has been in my store several times...I forget the name of his old band, but they played around here.

Comment

Sounds like a good time was had. I would have loved to see Six Feet Under. Steve Swanson has a nice custom Jackson RR too.

Comment

@Dave: Yes, the new guy did vocals as well, just not as much as Jon Vesano of course... I bet he was more concerned about learning the bass parts than lyrics in those five days. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    But he had good stage presence and did headbang like crazy. Then afterwards he told me that normally he headbangs even more! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

@DeathMetalSycho: Dying Fetus sounded fucking great! It was actually about the best live sound I've ever witnessed.
                    The singer/vocalist used an Ampeg and a LTD that looked like a bad copy of a Warlock (with EMGs), the other guy used an ESP V and a Marshall (couldn't make out the model or which effects he used to make it sound so good...). They were as tight as can be, the solos were out of this world and cut through really well.
                    They somehow compensated me for the cancelation of the Necrophagist tour (bummer!), because of their masterful sweeping.
                    Even the bassist did some sweeping...
                    I don't know much material from Dying Fetus (gotta change that!!!), but they played "Opium for the masses" and "Pissing in the mainstream" amongst others and quite a few new stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

@RacerX: Directly after Nile's set ended I had a short talk with Karl and Joe (the new bassplayer), because they stayed on stage for a few minutes to talk and sign autographs.
                    Then I watched Six Feet Under for almost an hour but lost interest and left... and then in the lobby I met the Nile guys. So no backstage pass or anything, just the fact that these guys are as nice as can be and always have time to meet their fans.
                    Joe Payne said he already knew Karl and Dallas before so he offered to step up for Jon Vesano when they quickly needed a replacement guy.

BTW, the guitarist from Six Feet Under played a KxK King V the whole show (at least as long as I watched), and had what looked like an Eerie Dess King V in the back as a backup (mostly hidden from view though).
                    http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I think that new bass player has been in my store several times...I forget the name of his old band, but they played around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe Payne

Lust Of Decay
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Steve Swanson Rules!!!

JT

Comment

Nile will be rolling through town April 29th. I'll be there, I haven't missed them yet in the last few years. This will be my fifth or sixth time seeing them. They aren't headlining, they're supporting King Diamond. The bill is King Diamond, Nile, Black Dahlia Murder, and Behemoth. Can't wait, though I'll probably skip King Diamond. I'll try and get a pic of Karl with his King V. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

that is possibly the uglyest fucking V I have ever seen In my life , what kinda case do you use for that ? a real coffin ? //Steve

Comment

nile are awesome, i saw them in london a couple of weeks ago. it was one of the best gigs i've been to, the only thing that stopped it from being THE best show is that necrophagist didn't play and that nile didn't play "exercration text"
                              anybody know what is up with the necrophagist dude? i know it's some kind of health thing but has anyone got any details?

Comment

Working...
                              X