Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Caffery - Evil Leprechaun !

Hey guys -
    Just thought I'd share my St. Paddy's Day experience. I met Chris a few times in the past at Savatage shows, and last year when I teched for him at Progpower. We've sort of kept in touch via e-mail, talking gear etc.
    Anyway - I saw that he was looking for bassists, and he was looking for possibly an additional guitarist.
    I got an e-mail from him last Sunday that yes, my bassist and I could have a shot - how was Thurs for a tryout?
    So... we crammed on 3-4 songs for 3 days... while I have school exams, etc going on as well. Fast forward to Thurs
    Show up at Chris' place on Thurs at 4:00, he invites us in. Shoot the bull for a bit, then head up to the room where Protools is set up.
    We tune up, plug in , and go.
    Well, he is a MONSTER player. I always thought he was real good as a guitarist and under-rated... but man, standing about 3 feet away from him, listening to a clear mix and being able to see his hands... he is REALLY under-rated as a player. He is a f**king monster!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    Anyway - 3 days prep and his alternate tunings (13 on 22 songs!!) made it real hard to get the material. I felt like a beginner ! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I knew about 5 minutes into it that I was not going to cut it, but finished out the 3 tunes.
    Chris was REAL cool about it. We all ended up going out for drinks with some of his band.

I had been speaking with him prior to this about some teching... so you may see me anyway at some of the shows if you go to any of the gigs.
    [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

PS: He did like my Erie Dess soloist 7 - said he had never seen that finish.

Re: Chris Caffery - Evil Leprechaun !

when i seen this i thought this was gonna be about Ed Roman... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    thats cool bro...well not the "not cutting it" part....but the whole exper. in general...damn ,,must have been a good time [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    MOSH ON
    DAVE
    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Lol ! No - the opposite of Roman! Chris was the most laid back, down-to-earth guy. Real cool, - no rockstar attitude at all.
      The evil leprachaun reference was to the outfit that he wore when we went out - the St. Paddy's version of his Santa. Green game jersey, plus a HUGE Guinness hat - frickin' hilarious.
      He even let us hear some tunes from his upcoming solo release and the new Dr. Butcher stuff.
      Real cool set-up - Pro tools with amplitude and/or a Line 6 Pod Pro. Funny thing though - it was still "his" tone ! As I told him - he gets his tone no matter what rig I have seen him play through.
      Support him in any way you can - he's a cool dude.

Comment

Met Chris a few times, and that guy is a class act in all ways.

He was a fitting replacement for Chris Oliva in Savatage, as he is such a similar type of guy (class act etc). And yes, Chris is a truly outstanding player with great character.

Comment

Criss Oliva was a huge influence on me as well. But Chris pulls off his stuff very well, and gets a very similar lead tone. His playing at the 10th Anniversary Memorial concert was awesome.
          Cleveland - are you going to the BW&BK fest in the Flats? If so, look me up and we'll hook up for a brew or 2.

Comment

Working...
          X