Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alexi Laiho-Children of Bodom

[ QUOTE ]
    yes it does....Jeff Loomis. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill i have Dreaming Neon Black and i think the lead sound is pretty shitty, i can't make anything out. What's the best album that shows his ability best?
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Bill i have Dreaming Neon Black and i think the lead sound is pretty shitty, i can't make anything out. What's the best album that shows his ability best?

[/ QUOTE ]

From a pure songwriting standpoint, probably Dead Heart in a Dead World. If you're talking only leads, then check out Enemies of Reality. Absolutely sick playing. And the sad thing is, Jeff thinks of himself as a "merely ok" guitar player.

Comment

Alexi rules
        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

DT bore the shit out of me, alexi's comments about their music being like sport is perfect, its not like he said petrucci is a dickhead or something, what's the big deal. Alexi kills petrucci in songwriting anyday of the week, wether its more technical or not, petrucci could launch nuclear weapons with his guitar, alexi would still be better. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

ahaa, Petrucci has written very different material, classic prog-metal, modern kickass metal tunes, fusion stuff etc.
            What has Laiho done??? He hasn't done any progress since the first couple of albums. I'm not a fan of Petrucci's and Laiho's lead playing, but when it comes to rhythms, Petrucci just kills the laiho.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              DT bore the shit out of me, alexi's comments about their music being like sport is perfect, its not like he said petrucci is a dickhead or something, what's the big deal. Alexi kills petrucci in songwriting anyday of the week, wether its more technical or not, petrucci could launch nuclear weapons with his guitar, alexi would still be better. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You obviously haven't heard anything from DT.

And now get on google and search for some song names to impress us with your infinite DT knowledge! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Jeff Loomis is awesome....yeah...that fucker just thinks he's OK...I asked him how he comes up with some of that shit ...he told me.."dude , I just go for it"..

well , I guess he does..

Neon Black is probably the worst Nevermore to start with...yeah , go with Dead Heart in a Dead world OR..Enemies of Reality...but I do love Politics of Ecstacy anf their first S/T as well..The solos to I voyager , The River Dragon and The Sacrament is just plain SICK!! and he nails it perfect live everytime I saw him..

Yes Jeff is THE man!!!! I've been saying that for years!!!!

as far as his tone...I think Jeff's tone is lacking a bit...but hell he makes it work for him no matter what gear he's using...Tri Axis or Line 6 or whatever..his playing and song writing fucking RULES!!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Chris Broderick is up there too. I just recently realized that my friend a JAzz guitarist here in Greeley took lessons from Chris in Denver.

Comment

Hey I have EVERY DT album made...live and studio and I have all Petrucci's solo crap ....liquid Tensions...an evening with Jordan Rudesss..and whatever,,

Yeah , John is a very established and "great" player...but he sure in the fuck does write some majorly "boring" and "LAME" stuff...IMO as well ..

that is what Alexi meant...he said his "music" was lame and not his paying..and I agree somehwhat!

As far as Dream Theatre...I like Symphony X much better...Russel Allan smokes that little faggot whiny Labrie ( I hate his voice ) and Romeo can put a spanking on Johnny P as well... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah I know Chris and gang very well...I'm friends with Harry Conklin..he's my boy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Hey I have EVERY DT album made...live and studio and I have all Petrucci's solo crap ....liquid Tensions...an evening with Jordan Rudesss..and whatever,,

Yeah , John is a very established and "great" player...but he sure in the fuck does write some majorly "boring" and "LAME" stuff...IMO as well ..

that is what Alexi meant...he said his "music" was lame and not his paying..and I agree somehwhat!

As far as Dream Theatre...I like Symphony X much better...Russel Allan smokes that little faggot whiny Labrie ( I hate his voice ) and Romeo can put a spanking on Johnny P as well... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's purely a matter of taste. And it's not so much Alexi's opinion I find laughable, but the infantile way he's speaking it.

Concerning Symphony-X, they're good, but they are quite monotonous imho, of course John can use those chromatics a bit too much as well, but overall I think he's a more diverse player and is as good as it gets for me, personally.

Nevermore is not really my cup of tea, too 'whiney', forgive that term but lack of a better word makes me use it. Jeff Loomis is not that great to me, I personally do not think his solo's add to the songs. In Enemies of Reality or RD, for instance.

But like it's been said: de gustibus et coloribus non disputandum est, and I think we better take Horatius' advice on that.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Dude , it sounds that you are much more familiar with Petrucci than you are with Loomis...and probably due to the vocals as you mentioned...

It is a love or hate thing with Warrel Dane ...I happen to love his lyrics/vox...but some people loathe his voice...

Knowing Jeff personally...By talking with him , hanging with him on the bus and shit ..watching him warm up and then play....dude, I seen EVERBODY who is worth a shit...everybody!

My jaw drops everytime I watch that fucker..I think his solos not only compliment the song but are awesome structured songs themselves..much like Randy's were....and he duplicates them live with "ease"...while he grins like..."hey that was awesome"...just like my old hero Ed used to..

That guy is so fucking humble and COOL its ridiculous...I keep telling him everytime I see him ...since '98...that one day he will be a new Guitar God...and he WILL be for very valid reasons.

fuck he is a God..best guitarist in metal...HANDS DOWN!

Petrucci and co are good ..very very very good..he had his moments...and still does.

Love or Hate ..There is only one NEVERMORE because there is only one Jeff Loomis...Yes I'm kissing his ass...he deserves it more than any guitarist I know.

BTW There is an infinite sea of DT wannabees and clones within the Prog Metal world and a lot of them come close...and some have truly surpassed DT..IMO!

to make any kind of judgement or comparisons , one must hear ALL the players...and I've heard them all..

BTW check out other guitarist such as Olaf Lenk , Magnus Karlsson , Tore Otsby , Roy Z , Ralph Santolla ....check out Mike Romeo's "The Dark Chapter" solo albulm he did in '94..Petrucci has nothing on guys like this..

as far as the battlr between Laiho and Petrucci...I'd say its pretty even...they both do what they do well...and couldn't replace each other..put Laiho in DT...could that work...probably actualy..

hey, but you can't put Petrucci in COB...so there ya go...I'd say Alexi has a slight edge on John for this reason alone...see Alexi "fronts" COB while he goes nuts...

like this is a contest...well it is sorta...ain't it always.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

this is starting to feel like 1985 all over again...so thats cool...to the days of "shrapnel" shredders!!!!

at least people give a fuck about guitar again..so thats cool [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Personally I like DT a lot more than Symphony X. Romeo is fantastic player, but the bass player and the drummer (what an awful triggered drum sound they have) doesn't impress me at all and they have too much power metal elements in their songs. I don't really dig power-prog metal.
                            I love classic prog with jazz/fusion elements, DT is good at it. But no prog band will ever beat Queensryche, that's for sure IMO.
                            btw. OSI is a cool prog project that impressed me a lot, kinda pink floyd meets industrial metal, very original stuff.
                            About NEVERMORE, it is one of the few of those really heavy bands that I listen. Loomis is an awsome rhythm player, and he is a good shredder, but his shredding doesn't really impress me that much than his rhythm playing.
                            About Laiho, he is a good player, but that's it, chops doesn't impress me at all, because there are so many players who can play fast and better then Laiho, I need more than fast scale runs and Iron Maiden type melodys. Laiho doesn't have unique style and his songwriting is kinda cheesy, all his songs have the same structure. Great player doesn't have any limits, they can play and write in every style well, I've only heard Laiho doing only the same stuff he has always done.
                            Petrucci and Laiho are the two guys who have ripped-off from other players the most IMO.
                            Petrucci has taken his stuff (chromatic runs etc.) from a some fusion players like Steve Morse, Frank Gambale, and some jazz players. Then his clean arpeggiated melodys are from Alex Lifeson and Queensryche. Some of his fast shred-runs are from Yngwie, Gilbert etc. Then there are a lot of Vai and Satch influences in his playing. Sometimes I've even hear Ace Freshley in his playing [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Go figure.
                            Petrucci has taken different elements from a lot of very different players.
                            But Laiho, he basically uses typical melodys in minor scale wich are from Maiden etc. And sometimes there are are some Neo-Classical elements in his playing wich are from Yngwie or classical composers. AND HE HAS DIRECTLY, NOTE-BY-NOTE RIPPED-OFF from calssical pieces, and he has done it a lot. So he isn't really impressive player when it comes to originality.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Well Endrik...that is some good views there especially with the jazz inflence as Gambale ...hell even the smooth legato runs of Holdsworth...thats were Gambale got that...but yeah, that is the school where Petrucci comes from..

but I'm not focusing on the entire band or their counterparts...I'm just talking about the shredders..

Both guys has something really cool to offer in my book...

for me personaly I'm getting a little burned out on the whole prog thing...man I buy , and listened to tons of it...tons!!!

I just listened to OSI..and just like the new Fate Warning it really bores me...yes the musicians are phenomenal...but overall it is not a very exiciting listen..

I much rather listen to prog bands such a Time Requiem , Opus Alantica , Karmechanic , Zero Hour...hell Watchtower...now that is some challenging and exiting stuff to me..

I LOVE aggressive music by nature...well I am a Metalhead...and I love metal because that is where all the best guitarist in the world are for me..

OSI...The New Fates or Queenryche...Pain Of Salvation , Arena , Enchant , all that kind of stuff is realy good music by very good musicians..but it is not really metal

Alexi is a metalhead...he was even in Impaled Nazerine..a black metal band at one time...he's aggressive by nature...I think that is what he meant by his comment..

I noticed he got a lot of hate mail for those words in the next issue of GW...and he deserved it I guess...it was a "disresectful" thing to say ...

Hey I said he was an asshole....Hell attack if attacked....but that comment wasn't warranted....its not like he was talking about Wes Borland or Tome Morello.

and take out the wax outta yer ears...or listen to some Nevremore...because you can't deny Jeff's amazing speed and articulation with that kind of feel...I seen him many times...up close and personal...I highly recommend anyone to do the same...you WILL be amazed!

I am...

Comment

Well, fuck SX VS DT

Angra and Adagio are better than both of them

Comment

Working...
                                X