Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alexi Laiho-Children of Bodom

OK I go with Symphony X..

I've seen both live , have all of their stuff...

DT is great but I must go with SX...

besides Myung is good but he he ain't all that (nothing I couldn't do) ..Portnoy is a motherfucker though..

Hey DT would be 100 times better if Russell Allen sang instead of Labrie...but then it would sound like SX..

Labrie isn't a bad singer...but his tone can become "grating" after a while...I even have both of his MullMuzzler BS...ehhhh nothin' amazing....Labrie isn't that good.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

alexi never denied beeing a fan of classical music. just wanted to point that out.

and there's a slim line between citing classics and ripping them off.
      I think it's great the way he does it. those short classical parts really compliment the songs and they are well into context. he knows how to build them in, in a way it works quite good.

and it's not only classics. he also plays around with video games and film music. he never claimed this stuff to be his own.
      it's nothing wrong with that I think.

just my opinion.

@bill; what would be some recommendable stuff from loomis for someone, who'd like to give it a try?
      I'm always open to something new, and the way you describe him it sounds like he's worth it...
      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Well Start with their last newly re-mixed version of Enemies of Reality...its awesome IMO!!!

Dead heart in a dead world , and the Politics album too..

that is a good start...I love the solos to songs like the river dragon / The sacrament / I voyager....he's a fucker! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

His rythms are pretty sick too...he used to really dig Meshuggah..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Jeff Loomis > everyone else

Bill I also agree basically with everything you have stated... I think Romeo is better and Allan kills Labrie but the rest of the bands DT > Symph X

Petrucci has way better tone than Romeo although Romeo is the better player...
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

You know Tets , Romeo's Tone is a lot better in the studio...

He was using that Vetta last time John and I saw him....yes his tone is lacking to be honest..he even made that comment himself to John..

I would say that Petrucci does have a better grip on his tone....he uses Mesas and his sig Ernie Ball plus a bunch of other shit...John is a class act...but there is so much better players out there that would just leave him in the dust....Loomis and Romeo included

and Russell Allan is a Vocal God...unlike Labrie...that guy just gets by doing what he does ....very mediocre IMO..

The Talent in DT is Petrucci and Portnoy...then Myung who is constantly fumbling around on a bass that looks huge on him..Myung knows theory...and knows his way around the fretboard but he lacks feel , groove and that driving force that is mandatory amoung great bassists IMO..he's very good but I think he gets too much mention to be honest..

I think Petrucci gets too much mention as well...he's established for the last 14 years...now lets make room for better players out there that need and deserve the same kind of attention..Loomis included.

why get stuck on one dude or two dudes when there is so much more amazing players out there...

Not many people know who Magnus Karlsson is ..nor Olaf Lenk...and believe me that is a shame...they would put a spanking on the likes of Petrucci on his VERY best day!

Comment

When it comes to pure shredding, then Rusty Cooley kills them all. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

About tone, I just love Petrucci's tone (specially on the AWAKE), Mesa all the way.

I agree with Bill about Myung, nothing special, he has chops but he plays the same thing that guitar, no cool grooves and stuff.
              Portnoy is a sick mofo, amazing dude.
              well Rudess is a worldclass concert pianist, but there are many key players who sound cooler on synth.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Dude , Rusty Cooley is incredible...but you need to check out those dudes I mentioned...

for self enjoyment anyways... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  When it comes to pure shredding, then Rusty Cooley kills them all. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

About tone, I just love Petrucci's tone (specially on the AWAKE), Mesa all the way.

I agree with Bill about Myung, nothing special, he has chops but he plays the same thing that guitar, no cool grooves and stuff.
                  Portnoy is a sick mofo, amazing dude.
                  well Rudess is a worldclass concert pianist, but there are many key players who sound cooler on synth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bellas has the upper hand over Cooley, imho.

Now, like I said, nowhere did I claim that John Petrucci is the best guitarplayer ever, objectively. (obviously he isn't) But I said I like him the BEST, personally and subjectively, he's as good as it gets for me.

On the angra vs adagio discussion, if you want to go that route I'd take Ayreon over both of them, and a similar project like the two Age Of Impact releases, one with jP, one with MF and lots of other great players. Adagio's got some pretty fine stuff, but some of it doesn't appeal to me, same with Angra. I never understood what the hype around Kiki, Loomis and the like was about, because I find their leadwork and to a lesser extent their entire bandwork quite boring and bland. One of my favorite 'newer' players is definitly Gus G, I love that guys work.

In retort to what you said about Alexi and JP switching places, Bill, I would say that JP would have no problem at all fitting into COB, since he's a well rounded player and can handle that kind of playing. Alexi, however, would have great difficulties, in fact, it would be impossible, for Alexi to fit into DT, he's a very linear and monotonous player.

But to end it all up, I think this is a rather useless discussion, and it's going way off topic. Like said before and like we all know, it's impossible and useless to discuss about tastes and personal opinions. I did enjoy the discussion though.

P.S.: Mike Portnoy is awesome, but check out Virgil Donati, that guys is truly insane!
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I Think Bill is right....in my opinion Jeff Loomis is the best metal guitarist alive today. It's strange almost nobody mentions him on guitars forum's (exept jcf sometimes).
                    Besides his crushing rythm's and kick ass leads, he's also a great, great songwriter. Sometimes when listening to DHIADW or Enemy's of Reality my mind just reaches some sort of Nirvana [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would love to see him play some stuff in a rehearsal room or something like that, i heard it's even way beyond his playing in Nevermore....almost can't imagne it, because that is already blowing my mind [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Definanty looking forward hearing This Godless Endavor.

Andy Sneap + Nevermore = [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

• Re: Alexi Laiho-Children of Bodom

GodOFRhythm, I personally find Bellas to be very booring.
                      When we talk about pure technique and speed, then Rusty is the man, 7 and 8 string sweep and alt. picked arpeggios, insane stretches when he plays 4-note per. string legato. Bellas can't play half of his stuff. I think Rusty administers EVERY technique for guitar in this world perfectly. Hell he can even play soul, funk, jazz, acoustic etc. very well.

Lenk and Karlsson are quite good players, they can play fusion-blues stuff very well, wich is cool, but most of the stuff they are doing is neo-classical-power metal wich is kinda booring IMO.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

JP - My take on him is that he's an amazing player but since his switch to EBMM he changed all his gear and everything after SFAM sounds way too processed. It does not even sound organic anymore. DT I've lost interest in but I used to love them years ago and they can win me back.
                        MR - Romeo is the man! Without a question he's one of the players who's ont he top of the heap where prog shredders are concerned. SX are one of my favorite bands ever, I've traveled across many states, skipped school, work and everything else just to see them live.
                        JL - Everything that Bill has said before, simply mind blowing.
                        Alexi - I'm cool with him, he plays well and he's getting kids into shredding, kids who would not normally listen to DT and SX are listening to COB and learning how to play.
                        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I never heard Cooley do Flamenco à la Paco Di Lucia or Al Di Meola, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. When pure speed is concerned, Bellas destroys Cooley, though.

Comment

I think Francesco Fareri has compared them a lot, he is a huge Cooley and Bellas fan, he will confim too that Cooley is faster.

Comment

If I had access to another forum I used to go to I'd search up the facts, we did a comparison (notes to bpm) and Bellas came up on top of the 'clean pickers', Paus came out as the absolute winner, but he's not clean at all.

Comment

Fuggit , now the gloves are coming off... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

>>>Uli Jon Roth<<<...

top that motherfuckers!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X