Steve Vai-Reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steve Vai-Reflections

Again, I can't say it enough. If you like "weird" music, such as Zappa, Parliament/Funkadelic or some of Stevie Wonder's stranger moments, or extreme fusion jazz, you will *love* Reflections, I almost guarantee it.

If you are looking for meat-and-potatos heavy rock without weird time signatures, humor, or strange noises, stay away from it at all costs. It's no more valid to compare Vai to guys like Michael Schenker or John Sykes, than it would be to compare Zappa to Mick Jagger, or John Coltrane to that sax player in Bruce Springsteen's band. Different animals.

Comment

Tim I have to agree with you on some of this. A lot of the
      shredders can get boring really quickly. I have Satrianis latest and you know what,
      I hardly ever listen to it. when I listen to Satch I listen to his early stuff, it seems smore inspired to me.
      I give Vai credit for doing what he does, personal taste will dictate if you like it or not.
      lately I've really gotten into Greg howe's "Extraction"
      stuff. Much jazzier than previous Howe, some may like , some may hate, but he's another guy that never sits on his
      laurels and keeps putting out the same stuff over and over
      again. He keeps it's interesting and his playing just keeps getting better and better. Vai is awesome, there is no
      doubting that, but when I listen to instrumental guitar music , it's got to grab me (somehow!) and this unfortunately does not.
      Satrianis latest doesn't either, and you won't find a bigger Satch fan than me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I have to agree with the most of the stuff Tim said.
        And Slip Of The Tongue is bretty weak compared to 1987 (John Sykes stuff), didn't Coverdale and Vandenberg wrote all the Slip Of... songs, Steve only played them.
        And speking of John Sykes he can do some bretty "not so normal stuff" too, like "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlmen" on Merry Axemas or some of his stuff on Nuclear Cowboy.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Ah it takes a while for the newer Vai albums to grow on me honestly but when they do I am hooked. It took forever for the Ultra Zone to be liked but now I love it... Same with Reflections for me It is really really good and the mroe you listen the more you hear in it. As Travis said though it is truly music you have to be in the mood to hear..
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            PS...Can't wait to get this one signed Ibanez VAI tapestry

....along with my Vai FP77

Steve's da man [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a cool tapestry, and I love the FPs I've had int he past, nice guitars.
            Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

I suppose I am one of those guys who likes my shredding straight up. Its got to have melody too. Guitar gymnastics does nothing for me. Vai gets the gold metal in that respect.

Comment

Working...
              X