Does This Bother Anyone Else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does This Bother Anyone Else

I know I'm overreacting, but this sort of bugs me.
    http://www.returntothepit.com/media...._borgir008.jpg http://www.returntothepit.com/media....kreator010.jpg http://www.sonicrampage.com/spgm/gal/Ozz...er%20-%20Boston,%20MA/Dsc08842_jpg-1_jpg.jpg

You'll have to copy and paste that last one into your browser, I can't get it to work [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Don't get me wrong, I love Kreator, and God Forbid and Dimmu Borgir have some songs I like, but I know these guys don't wire the guitar up to mix the EMG and SD neck pickup that comes stock.

What bothers me is I can't imagine why anyone would spend that kind of money on a guitar, and then turn around and gut everything but the bridge pickup? I know the guitars are quality, and they like the sound of the EMG's, possibly don't use the neck pickup, but it just seems like a huge waste of a sonic spectrum to me, to not have a neck pickup in there, expecially if it came stock that way.

Does anyone else have any little pet peeves like this? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

*EDIT* The HTML code isn't working...I wonder why? I just posted links instead.

Re: Does This Bother Anyone Else

It's possible to mix active and passive. I've never done it, I don't know the specifics of how it's done, and I don't know that these guitars you're pointing out are wired that way. But I know it can be done. Joe Perry had a Les Paul wired that way.
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

It is possible, but I've seen 2/3 of those bands live, and they never used there neck pickups. I'm dead sure that they only hook up the bridge pickup.

Comment

It doesn't bother me. If you don't use it, might as well keep it as simple as possible. Dave Mustaine has been doing the same thing for years.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          It's possible to mix active and passive. I've never done it, I don't know the specifics of how it's done, and I don't know that these guitars you're pointing out are wired that way. But I know it can be done. Joe Perry had a Les Paul wired that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to install an EMG PA-2 active preamp to do it, or else have each pickup go through entirely separate volume/tone controls. The PA-2 can accept both active EMG and regular passive pickups, and it gives a pretty substantial gain boost.

I don't generally bother with that because it's easier and not much more expensive to just get another EMG active pickup for the neck, though I did wire up a 650xl once with an EMG-85 and kept the stock J-200s as passives. Since the 650xl has three control pots, it was easy to swap out the the (removed) JE-1200 mid-boost circuit's level pot for an EMG volume.

Comment

Right, I've mixed actives and passives before. What I'm saying is that I know these guys don't have it done, it just kind of bugs me that they waste that neck pickup.

Comment

No, just you, DSS! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My bud Jeff from Noctuary has mixed pups in his main guitar, a Jackson Dinky.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Me, I'd rip out the pickup entirely. Leave an empty socket, a la Malcolm Young. No need having that magnet pulling at the middle of the string's speaking length if you're not using it.
                please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

If you doesnt use it, you might as well just disconnect it.
                  I have disconnected the tone controlls on my guitars, is that also a waste? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

With that said i love the neck pickup myself, and use i A LOT [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X