Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Vai and Dream Theater songs to learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good Vai and Dream Theater songs to learn?

It's a shame that they couldn't put out another album like that one. Skyscraper is really good but it just wasn't Eat em and smile. Too heavy on the keyboards and they lost the groove.

I would love to see some live footage of that tour. I have only seen a few crappy shots that weren't worth watching. That must have been a great concert to see in person.

By the way, the new Vai DVD "Live at Astoria" opens with Shy Boy. It's a little glimps of what you would have seen in the Roth days.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Learn Glass Prison some parts are far beyond beginner though like that intro neo classical solo but taht song just pretty much rocks to play

Fatal Tragedy and Pull Me Under are also great suggestions

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, indeed! John couldn't even play that neoclassical intro himself, perfectly.

He said himself he had underestimated transcribing keyboard pieces to guitar, so when he had to play it (the arpeggio's were ALTERNATE PICKED, not sweeped) he couldn't do it. So he recorded each arpgeggio seperatly, alternate picked, and then strung it together in the studio.

Live he uses sweeping + alternate picking, but he still sometimes messes them up, they're really hard to play. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Slient Mand and Mirror from "Awake" are the easiest i can think of.

Fong

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Learn Glass Prison some parts are far beyond beginner though like that intro neo classical solo but taht song just pretty much rocks to play

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh man, indeed! John couldn't even play that neoclassical intro himself, perfectly.

He said himself he had underestimated transcribing keyboard pieces to guitar, so when he had to play it (the arpeggio's were ALTERNATE PICKED, not sweeped) he couldn't do it. So he recorded each arpgeggio seperatly, alternate picked, and then strung it together in the studio.

Live he uses sweeping + alternate picking, but he still sometimes messes them up, they're really hard to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your sayin there's a chance...
          Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
          The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

I think that fairly easy songs to learn are as follows:
            Dream Theater: As I AM Drop C tuning. Solo is fast but pretty basic on the tecnhical scale and its a fun song to play rhyth wise too. And I second Pull me under.. its simple but it does get boring...

For Steve Vai, Im a little bias being that he's one of my favorite players and I have spent alot of time learning many of his songs.
            For whats easiest... well, thats going to depend on your abilities...
            I would actually recommend Giant Balls of Gold for AIAUW. Accurate tab score can be found on Power Tabs.

Comment

Definetely "Pull me Under"

Comment

Vai?
                Off his first solo CD Flexable "The Attitude Song or Viv Woman". Great stuff.
                Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Live he uses sweeping + alternate picking, but he still sometimes messes them up, they're really hard to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your sayin there's a chance...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, definitly. If you're good at sweeping, sweep it. If you're good at alternate picking, go the Morse way and alternate pick the arpeggio's.
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I say Pull Me Under from DT. For Vai, a good one is Die to Live from Alien Love Secrets. It's pretty easy and sounds great. I'd also say Tobacco Road with DLR, and I love playing along with Cheap & Nasty and Fool for you Lovin with Whitesnake.
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                    X