Def Leppard gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Def Leppard gear

It had the Kahler the first year, then when Phil got the White Jackson ( I heard him call it a "Parts" Guitar) It seems that he switched to Floyds..Since the "Women" Video I was digging that Soloist.

* oops Noodles beat me to it... [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Carlos Cavazo played one like it in the QR "Wild and the Young Video" - Wonder if its the same guitar? I still hate to see that Kelly Blank go into the wood chipper. You guys know what video I'm talking about? I have it somewhere, I might be able to host it someday.

Comment

I recall an interview with Phil about the time Hysteria as released, and he was singing the praises of Model Series Charvels. Something like "You can pick them up for US$300 and they sound great".

- Steve
      Model 3
      Model 5A
      Model 3B
      Journeyman
      Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

Les Pauls and Marshalls!!!! High'n Dry album RAWKS!!!!
        "Saturday night, I'm high.....Saturday night, high and dry"
        [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Adrian
        All hail the 'King'
        R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

Yeahh Steve i saw Phil in a mag over here saying the same thing.That he could pick up a cheap charvel and record with it easily.Didnt they use the rockman walkman for his heavily overdriven tone on the early albums?when doing the ryth he would also record one string at a time and add the other chord tones string by string to make it sound big.Perfectionist with his tone,not the tone i would use but perfect for the band

Comment

Rockman was used on Hysteria. Phill wasn't around in the early days of the band. That was Pete Willis. Phil was a far better player than Pete, though I am a huge fan of High and Dry to this day.

Comment

Pete Willis is the reason I love white Explorers. He had 3 that he was regularly seen with. A 1976 Gibson in white, and black and white Hamer Standards.

Comment

On Through The Night and High & Dry... best DL albums ever! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm actually listening to "On Through The Night" right now... that and "High N Dry" seem to sound TOTALLY different than the albums that come after. Almost like a complete overhaul in their style. Even Joe's voice sounds TOTALLY different, especially on "On Through The Night". [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I'm rather new to Def Leppard, so go easy on me guys. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Like Jim said ,I believe they used Rockman Preamp on that album.
                    Even on tour too.
                    Brooks, what do you think?

Comment

I remembered an article from the March 1988 Guitar for the Practicing Musician when I was learning "Women" a few months ago. It had a small write up about the gear and settings used on it. I'm going to post a scan of that section of the article.

Comment

Distortion on full blast? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Aye! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Guess they had pretty weak distortions back then, and needing to crank up the gain back then is probably quite mild today. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

not really, Hysteria had a tons of gain. it had that whole "somewhere in time" rack sound. IMO anyway.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I actually love the "Somewhere In Time" Maiden tone. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I just compared "Women" to "Pour Some Sugar...". The former seems to have more of the classic crunch character exhibited on earlier albums, while the latter seems to have more of that high gain "Somewhere In Time" fizzy chorused cutting sound. But that chorused clean tone is to DIE for. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Phil who?
                              www.BrooksGuitarUniverse.com

Comment

Actually, Phil Collen used dinky models, not soloists. Even his latest sig model is a bolt-on.The trems on his Jacksons have always been Floyd Rose.
                                Steve Clark was a Les Paul guy. He had 2 of them fitted with the flush-mount Kahler tremolos.
                                This Is Blacklabel.

Comment

Working...
                                X