Saw Night Ranger Last Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Night Ranger Last Night

Wow, what a show! Those boys really know how to rock and have a good time doing it. They played all of their hits from the 80s and threw it a coupla covers, too. Their opener was "This Boy Needs to Rock" and in the middle of it, they went into the bridge, solo and chorus of "Highway Star" by Deep Purple. Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson did a twin lead of the solo! Also did "Highway to Hell" and a brief version of "Hey Jude". My favorites were "Rumors in the Air" and "Eddie's Coming Out Tonight".

Now to the good stuff. Brad Gillis played that beat to heck red Strat thru a Soldano Decatone into 2 Hiwatt cabs that sounded absolutely incredible. Jeff Watson mostly played some custom guitar that I did not recognize. It looked like a PRS, but had a different headstock. He played into a Boss GT-6 thru a ? amp into 2 Marshall cabs. I could't spot his amp anywhere.

Those 2 guys are absolutely incredible players. I was never really into the whammy bar stuff that Brad Gillis does. But, he is so skilled at it, it was really enjoyable to watch. His tone was much better than Jeff's IMO. He had that Strat singin'. Jeff Watson is right up there among the best guitarists that I have seen (Vinnie Moore, Morse, Malmsteen, etc.). That guy can flat out play anything. He makes it look effortless, too. He is so good that he made a Line6 Variax sound good on one of the acoustic #s. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Do not miss these guys if they come to your area.

Re: Saw Night Ranger Last Night

Jeff Watson's new signature guitar:
    http://swing-guitars.com/jeffwatson_eng.html

Personally I like Hamer's versions better:

Comment

Yep, that was it. The neck HB space had 2 single coils in it. One was a Hot Rails type and the other actually looked like it had a Charvel logo on it.

Comment

Interesting. From what I've heard other places, they've been putting on a great show. If they come aruond St. Louis, I'll have to check them out.

Comment

Hey Travis, they played at the Rib Fest downtown a few years ago.... They were fantastic!!!!

A~
          All hail the 'King'
          R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Yep, that was it. The neck HB space had 2 single coils in it. One was a Hot Rails type and the other actually looked like it had a Charvel logo on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Click on that link - it shows Jeff with his guitar. If I had to guess I'd say he has a sustainer pickup of some sort there - note the two switches which would typically control the sustainer on/off and harmonic modes. Just a guess.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

there were there in Tampa 3 weeks ago and were really good. Watson played a goldtop LP most of the night. i saw them on the dawn patrol tour at the Tampa theatre back in the 82ish time frame. there were great then and great now.

Comment

<font color="yellow">I saw Night Ranger back in 96' when they were touring with Bad Company and Ted Nugent.

It was at a military base, part of a 3 night / 3 theme summer concert series. Tickets were only like 5$ and it was a kick-ass show [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Night Ranger was underrated. Jeff Watson is a mutha on guitar [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Saw those guys back in '82 and they kicked ass then...

Watson and Gillis were a pretty killer team..two totally different kind of players that work great together..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Adrian,

I remember that! That was killer, there were a few killer bands that year... Who's coming in May for (insert venue name here) can't think of it... MDZ, Head East and a couple of other old killer bands are playing. I'll have all access, so we'll need to hook up, I'll get you guys some passes if you want. Speaking of MDZ (local band here, the old Mesh) they're supposed to go on tour with Velvet Revolver for a few months. I may have to go tech for them for a week or two, just for the hell of it. Up in Canaduh, NY, etc. I've never been up there, so it'd be cool seeing the sites and hanging with the boys for a week or two.

I'd like to see Brad again, he's super cool and down to earth. One of XXX's bud's as well. We see him at NAMM every year, and he was actually playing the night we all got hammered at NAMM this year on fri night. I've always loved his playing, we used to do Rockin America back in the day and I had this old Gibson shaped like the US, I think Huelsing still has it hanging on the shelf above the doorway going to the back of his shop. he still refuses to sell it back to me... That was a cool guitar!

Pat

Comment

I'm a big fan of Night Ranger, I have all their albums and some solo albums of them. I can't choose between Brad and Jeff (I like Jeff by far thinking the way he is, but, to guitar, I can't choose).
                      I like the 8 tapping and fast runs of Jeff and the whammy and the screaming harmonics of Brad.

Comment

I always thought that "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" was an amazing song with great solos. Wasn't fond of all the ballady stuff like "Sister Christian," though. Gillis/Watson are definitely high on the Underrated Guitarists list.

Comment

Brad Gillis' solo on "Don't tell me you love me" is incredible!. I like that screaming harmonics and the whammy work. One of my fav Gillis' solos.

Comment

Working...
                          X