Over the Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Over the Mountain

Yeah, there's a lower part an octave down for the first few bars. There was a live version floating around that had a horrible recording, plus Ozzy's voice wasn't the best, where I think Randy played the lower part for the first part of the solo. I wouldn't have expected him to do that.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I think he recorded almost everything with his Les Pauls. Did he even have the Jackson or the Sandoval yet when Diary was recorded? Remember, that album was actually recorded before the first U.S. Ozzy tour for Blizzard.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, randy had the sandshovel when he was in QR. he did his whammying stuff with that guitar.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Theres a story behind the solo on Mr. Crowley.
        I don't recall the specifics.
        Ozzy wanted Randy to put alittle more attitude into and make it better. Evidently it worked, Randy became slighty POed and went in and laid down one of the greatest rock/metal solos ever.

[/ QUOTE ] The story I read in an interview with Ozzy went like this. Randy had been working on the Crowley solo and pretty much getting nowhere. Many tries at perfection. Ozzy stated that he told Randy to give it one more try and just play what he felt. He laid it down on the next try, one take, and it was perfect. (This is according to Ozzy and my best memory of an interview I read probably 20 years ago)
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[/ QUOTE ] The story I read in an interview with Ozzy went like this. Randy had been working on the Crowley solo and pretty much getting nowhere. Many tries at perfection. Ozzy stated that he told Randy to give it one more try and just play what he felt. He laid it down on the next try, one take, and it was perfect. (This is according to Ozzy and my best memory of an interview I read probably 20 years ago)

[/ QUOTE ]
          Thanks for the clarification.
          I knew there was a story behind it and as I stated didn't know the specifics, but thats what I remembered hearing.
          Again, thanks for the clarification. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

yeah, randy had the sandshovel when he was in QR. he did his whammying stuff with that guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

sandshovel [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Randy was the guy for me who inspired me to want to play guitar...

Joe, its not a harmonizer...he's just doubling it an ocatve away.

herrs my hack job of that killer solo http://shawnlutz.com/Over_The_%20Mountain_%20Mix1.mp3
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

That was kick-ass Shawn! Where did you get the backing track?
              Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                herrs my hack job of that killer solo

[/ QUOTE ]

That's rockin Shawn! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  That was kick-ass Shawn! Where did you get the backing track?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that I made that one using GT Pro 3. I may still have it somewhere...it was 2 machines ago so I may have wiped it clean.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I still get goose bumps when I hear that lead.To bad Randy didn't have a chance to evolve.He was just getting started when he passed on.
                    I like the touch he put on Believer also.It has the coolest erie sound.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Joe, its not a harmonizer...he's just doubling it an octave away.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Ah, that makes sense. Hmmm, maybe I should go dig out the old Whammy pedal and play it with the octave up and octave down modes. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Randy used his white Jackson for Over the Mountain. The Sandshovel was used extensively on the first album, along with the LP, but Diary was in E flat. The songs from Diary were played on the white Jackson live, and he would use the Sandshovel and LP on the standard tuned songs as required. I'm not sure what tuning or songs were played on the black Jackson he got shortly before the accident.

Comment

I just happened to hear Over the Mountain on the radio and that's what prompted my post, but Revelation is probably my favorite solo of his.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I'm pretty sure Randy used his white Jackson for Over the Mountain. The Sandshovel was used extensively on the first album, along with the LP, but Diary was in E flat. The songs from Diary were played on the white Jackson live, and he would use the Sandshovel and LP on the standard tuned songs as required. I'm not sure what tuning or songs were played on the black Jackson he got shortly before the accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't think he had the white one before diary was recorded.
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Mr. Crowley was the first Ozzy song I think I ever heard. It's still my favorite and I can't play the solo to save my life. I try but it's just not there.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. Learning the solo note for note wasn't the problem. Getting up to speed in measures 2,3,8,& 9 is my problem. Guess I picked a tough one to learn considering my skill level. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
                              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't think he had the white one before diary was recorded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not before, but during: The white guitar was built from Dec 80 - Feb 81, then sent straight to the UK so Randy could use it for recording Diary (Feb - Mar 81).
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X