Over the Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Over the Mountain

Just listened to Diary last night, unbeliveable guitar work... [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Diary is my favorite Ozzy album. They have been playing Over the Mountian quite a bit on the radio lately. It's nice to hear that instead of the typical Crazy Train.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        Mr. Crowley was the first Ozzy song I think I ever heard. It's still my favorite and I can't play the solo to save my life. I try but it's just not there.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. Learning the solo note for note wasn't the problem. Getting up to speed in measures 2,3,8,& 9 is my problem. Guess I picked a tough one to learn considering my skill level. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+2. I have never been able to make the first two measures of the first solo sound right. Slow...fast...it doesn't matter I can never recognize what I am playing. I have the music, I have the tab and I still can't seem to get it. I have the rest of the song at a passable (to me) level, but those first two measures... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Steve

Comment

Even my GF, who for the most part hates distorted guitar, will put Blizzard in the CD player and just listen to Mr. Crowley, she loves the guitar solo and asked me if I could learn it for her. I just laughed and put in ZZ Top's Blue Jean Blues...

I was, somewhere around 12-13 when Diary came out. Over the Mountain just about blew my mind. I was on round 2 of attempting to learn how to play. It didn't take on round 2 either...had to wait for college. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I'm the same way with his Mr. Crowley solo

[/ QUOTE ]

1+ I like over the mountain as well, but something about the arrangement of both Crowley solos floors me!
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

this will sound crazy but the coolest thing about that over the mountain solo is the way he captured the feeling of tumbling down a mountain at the end when he is doing the decending pulloffs and working the bar.

Comment

the problem with diary album being eb what that the tuner used in the studio for that album was tuned to eb, and they didn't knew it until most of the stuf was recorded... funny thing from a professional studio that recorded one of the great albums of all time.

Comment

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I've never liked Randy's playing... It sounds very incohesive and weird to me, not appealing at all... (Sorry to have said this, because I know you all worship him)
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I don't know what's wrong with me, but I've never liked Randy's playing... It sounds very incohesive and weird to me, not appealing at all... (Sorry to have said this, because I know you all worship him)

[/ QUOTE ]

*insert horrified scream here*

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, to each his own. I certainly don't worship him..but I have always liked his playing style...especially his rhythm style. You don't dig the groove of "No Bone Movies", or "Suicide Solution", or the evil chord sequences in "Revelation"? That is the stuff I really like the most about him. His solos, many of them I could take or leave...and his tone is a bit nasally and dated at this point. Still, he was truly gifted. And we DID worship him when he was contemporary. Because in 1982, there was nothing popular that could really touch him.

Mike

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        ...and his tone is a bit nasally and dated at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely to each his own, I was just teasing.

But when I listen to the live stuff on the Tribute CD, I don't find his tone "dated". I just find it different than the popular nu-metal tone with zero mids...

But in the interest of full disclosure, I worship Randy and pretty much everything he did so I'm probably not the best guy to have a "balanced" discussion with.

Comment

I hate that nu-metal tone. Randy's tone was very mid rangey, very punchy. It can sound a little thin to my ears...I prefer a thick tone, fat...but not scooped or dropped.

I haven't listened to the tribute stuff in years. I am just going off the studio albums.

Mike

Comment

Tribute sounds awesome, I love it!!! Listen to it again....

Comment

I don't think that Randy was terribly thrilled with the sound he got in the studio on those albums, either. Neither was exactly what you would call "well-produced." That said, I thought his studio sound was ok, though not nearly as crisp-but-heavy as what Iommi was getting around that same time (Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules).

Randy certainly has better sound on the live Tribute stuff. Wish there was more professionally recorded live Randy out there. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]
                                but one of my favorite things on Diary is the fadeout solo at the end of Tonight. Crank it all the way up as it fades. Just amazing, & a bit more spontaneous than anything else he did on the studio albums.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That fade out solo always floors me. Some of those licks later showed up live on the Tribute album.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny, I don't know how many times I've done that in the car or at home and it effects me the same way. Makes me wonder how many guys are out there just hanging on every little scrap tidbit..

Comment

Working...
                                X