Gary Moore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gary Moore

I LOVE Gary ...but he lost me with all this blues stuff...yes he can play the shit outta the blues..

but I don't like blues...I don't hate it , but it bores the crap outta me..it's predictable and boring IMO.

gimme the early , young , cocky , shredding Gary Moore anytime...he influenced me a great deal...I think half my riffs ..I stole from him.

Coridors , Victims , Dirty Fingers , G Force , after the war , wild frontier...that's the Gary I worship!!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      ....... he just f-ing rips over it. He is one of the guys who, to me, makes the blues not boring,like most guys tend to. [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY.........

EOD.
      Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
      Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

He has so many songs I love but Parisian Walkways has to be my favorite.He and David Gilmour have to be my two favorites.

Comment

I've always been partial to the solo in "Out in the Fields". Cool video with the camera mounted on the nut during the solo. That's a great album overall, too.

Comment

excellent solo to Out in the fields...probably the most technically demanding solos for Gary...by his own admission...I always thought so...it is very fluid and legato....

I like Gary because he's firey...I like that.....if you heard me play you could see I'm a disciple of dudes like ..Gary , Frank Marino , John Sykes, Zakk Wylde , Dime and Eddie...I'm a squealin' , penatonic psycho spazz..even Ronnie LeTekro I worshipped massively..I'm on 10 at all times (just ask John)...that is why straight blues just don't cut it for me..way too touchy / feely for me..

blues is just cruising while I'm going a thousand miles per second....it is just stuck in park for me...but I RESPECT the guys that do it and do it well...like Gary...and Frank Marino ...he's a TRUE firey bastage when it comes to blues too..like Gary.

you know what Dave Meneketti did a GREAT blues / shred album called "on the blue side"..or something like that ...you guys that dig that firey Gary blues stuff should check it out...

OH...and Doug Aldrich of Dio fame ...he's a monster too when it comes to hot rod blues...his solo smokes..

I can listen to that kind of blues!!!!

Lastly, the best Gary Moore "hot rod blues/rock" latest release is "Scars"..it is VERY good...much better than still got the blues in my opinion...more exciting and ballsy !!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

it's funny (but probably not at all surprising) that a lot of my favourite guitarists are Disciples of Moore. You can hear Gary's licks all over the playing of guys like Vivian Campbell, John Sykes, Dave Meniketti, Doug Aldrich.

I don't think I could name a favourite solo. On any given day, my fave could be Military Man, Out In The Fields, Shapes of Things, Run For Cover, Murder In The Skies, Cold Hearted. You could go on all day, he has created so many memorable, lyrical solos. And fortunately, plenty of them still sound pretty good when I'm playing them at half speed. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

you got that right G..

I got that intro solo before the End of the world down....I learned that one years ago...I still like to play that!

Comment

I love 'Out in the Fields' and alot of his earlier stuff, and his blues playing is good, but not really my thing.

I must admit reading interviews with him kind of bugs me: he's always re-inventing himself (good thing) but then has this whole "I'm the only true blues guy left, no-one else has any feel" etc etc, which is OK the first time you read it, but when he's just put out an album full of samples and dub influences, it gets a little hard to take.
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

he lost me with all his blues BS...

Comment

Gary was on European tour with Whitesnake and was playing bunch of songs from old days.
                      Like Out In The Fields,Wishing Well, Shapes Of Things and with these songs, he was using a White Gibson Explorer and the rest of songs with his Gibson Signature Les Paul.

Comment

I remember, back in the mid-80s, when you could pick up a Guitar Magazine and virtually every guitar maker's advert would list GM as an endorsee! He'd have given George Lynch a run for his money as "Ultimate Gear Whore". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        A great player though.

Comment

Well, Gary is not the only guy that can play hot-rod blues...but he is certainly one of the most well known for it. As far as him making any claims to being the only real blues guy left, I haven't read any of that but I hope he isn't that delusional. Last time I checked, there were plenty of real blues guys still registering a pulse...guys like BB, Buddy, Taj Mahal, Snooks Eaglin, Anson Funderberg, Johnny Winter....etc. I like Moore because he plays blues with the same approach that I do, which is generally full on with a ton of distortion. However, in terms of him being a true blues guy, that is BS. He is a ripping guitar player who likes to PLAY blues, not a died in the wool blues player. If you listen to a solo like the last from the song "Still got the Blues", which was mentioned above, you can see my point exactly. He is really in the pocket with that solo in terms of it being a melodic blues solo, until he puts that Les Paul on the bridge pickup and the shredding begins. At that point the blues aspect of that solo is history.

Mike
                          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

BTW, in my post above I meant "dyed in the wool", not "died" in the wool!! Man, I need to stop posting when I just wake up. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike

Comment

oh Mike your excused...I post all this crap when I'm absolutely BAKED!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

...you're doing better than I am...I think Gary is one of the BEST blues guitarist....I just don't like the blues..it bores me..I "appreciate" it though.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Gary's Last one "Scars"...is more Rock / blues oriented...it's very good...I can handle THAT!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                oh Mike your excused...I post all this crap when I'm absolutely BAKED!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

...you're doing better than I am...I think Gary is one of the BEST blues guitarist....I just don't like the blues..it bores me..I "appreciate" it though.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Gary's Last one "Scars"...is more Rock / blues oriented...it's very good...I can handle THAT!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I really love the blues. While it certainly is predictable, it is very difficult to master. When I hear a good blues solo, 9 out of 10 times I can visualize exactly where it is going, I know what notes are coming next...I can see the licks in my head. When I sit down and try to remember them and duplicate them....they are gone! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

When I heard GM play blues I was so psyched, because I had never heard anyone really go after blues with such a ferocious, over the top tone. It really inspired me. I have never learned a GM blues tune, but he proved to me that it could be done with a modern wide open tone. While not the first guy by any stretch of the imagination to play heavily overdriven blues (see: Clapton, Beck, Page, Hendrix, SRV, Lee, Gibbons...etc, etc.)he may have been the first to really approach it with a "shredder's" mentality.

At the time that record came out, I was torn between my love of the blues and my love of all out screaming hair metal guitar. GM proved that you could basically combine them.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X