Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cacophony: Who did you prefer?

Ok...

Someone mentioned Cacophony in another thread and I just finished listening to Perpetual Burn..

No doubt Jason and Marty are monsters...<I still have to believe Jason hears all kinds of shreddy-type things most of us could not even begin to imagine...>

I know, apples to oranges for sure....BUT:

Whose style do you prefer?

For me, Jason hands-down. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Cacophony: Who did you prefer?

Jason.

Comment

Becker

Comment

I can't pick Marty because Dave says so. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        "POOP"

Comment

Man , that's a hard one...I really love some of Marty's phrasing..very Uli-ish..

but I gotta go with Becker..

OK , to add too this topic...which solo album do you prefer...Marty's Dragon's Kiss...or Jason's Perpetual Burn.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

hikiwake
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

man, i heard marty first, and i Love his stuff, becker too, but marty had something together then...

Comment

Becker was truly amazing. Marty was no slouch either but, Jason!! I was actually messing with the powertab of Altitudes yesterday and it would take a LOOOOONNNNNGGG time to be able to play all those parts up to speed and accurate--the guy just had phenomenal technique and did know when to stop for a little melodic flavor breather here and there too.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I think Becker went out and took a little more risk and in doing so had a little more fire or edge to his playing. Don't get me wrong, I think both are great if not sick but Becker appealed to me more with that respect.

Comment

That's funny, I just got Perpetual Burn on CD the other day (finally replaced my old tape-lol) and was thinking about this. I always preferred Becker but Marty is awesome too.
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Within that band I'd have to go with Jason, but Marty's solo in Tornado Of Souls is one of the greatest ever, IMO.
                      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Marty introduced me to Uli Roth's style. I love that kind of phrasing.

I saw almost all of the shred giants of the time live--Gilbert, Malmsteen, Howe, Chastain, etc. I'm not going to say that Jason was the best, but the "aww, shucks" effortless manner in which he pulled off those licks was very special. He remains my favorite pure shredder.
                        This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

As much as I love Marty, I think he didn't really come into his unique style until Megadeth. Jason was cooler than him back then.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I'm not going to say that Jason was the best, but the "aww, shucks" effortless manner in which he pulled off those licks was very special. He remains my favorite pure shredder.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            This reminds me of the Japanese bootleg video where he was playing guitar and yo-yo at the same time. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Lately I've been working on Perpetual Burn and Concerto. They both rip it up,
                              I think Becker was better at the full on shred,
                              but I love the way Marty phrases. I recently learned the
                              solo to Symphony of Destruction, and Marty is very clever
                              at phrasing pieces of arpeggios as he builds during his
                              solos. I love that one, always one of my favorites.
                              He does something somewhat similar in concerto as well.
                              Hmmm...That's a tough one, I don't think I could pick one over the other. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
                              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                              X