Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The John Schaffer Gear Thread

Hi all

i think it would be a nice idea to collect as much information about jon's gear as possible, for he has one of the best metal guitar tones EVER.

I personally don't know a whole lot about his gear, but i'm definitely willing to learn [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    anyways, here's what i know

he is a big fan of gibson guitars, particulary les pauls. on live in athens he also played some type of BC Rich iirc
    the first two iced earth albums were recorded with some sort of marshall amp (still one (or well, two) of the best marshall tones i've ever heared in my life...it must be his great playing ability [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), later albums featured larry amps, and afaik he switched to bogner amps some time ago.

thats about as much as i know....lets start collecting!

fragle

Re: The John Schaffer Gear Thread

You pretty much nailed most of it already! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

According to Bill (horns666), Jon is now a Bogner Uberschall user.

On "Alive In Athens", he used a BC Rich Ironbird. On the "Melancholy" video, he used a BC Rich Warlock if I remember correctly... but it's been a while since I've seen that video so my memory is fuzzy.

As for acoustic guitars, his brand of choice is Taylor, x15 and x55 (jumbo body) models. x15 denotes 6-string jumbos and x55 denotes 12-string jumbos. However, I am unsure WHICH jumbo series he uses, but seeing pictures of those Taylors with pickguards and sitka spruce tops leads me to believe that they are NOT the rosewood/engelmann 915 and 955 jumbos, but most likely 815 and 855 rosewood/sitka jumbos knowing Jon's rich tastes in gear. This is just a guess.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      On "Alive In Athens", he used a BC Rich Ironbird.

[/ QUOTE ]
      I've never seen a pic of him with an Ironbird. I don't have my 3-disc set in front of me, but I believe it's an Ignitor with a bound body and neck. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Shizz, I meant Ignitor. As previously mentioned, my memory is fuzzy. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I KNEW I should have looked in my reference book first before posting... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, you knew it began with an I. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

When I saw them play not too long ago he had an Uber and I think a Marshall on his side of the stage.

Didn't he also play through amps made by some guy named Larry?

Comment

überschall, heh? gear whore [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              yeah, he played larry amps for quite some time...i never had the pleasure to check one out, but judging from his guitar sound they sound absolutely KILLER. and i mean KILLER. i love that thick saturated yet ÜBERtight and clear rhythm tone jon always gets...well, almost always [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

well, those amps are like 5000$ if i recall correctly...way too much for average joe [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] anyone has an idea what amp sounds close to his rhythm sound?
              except for the uber [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              by the way, i remember someone on this board saying that jon used to use a BBE sonic maximizer with his larry...which would be rather surprising, but interesting anyway.

greets
              fragle

Comment

I thoguth he was one of those Roland JC-120 guys for clean tone.

Comment

Oh yeah, Drip reminded me of something. Although I'm unsure about whether he uses a Jazz Chorus for cleans because I've never heard otherwise, he uses a Fender Strat for clean guitar sounds in the studio.

Comment

What you guys are saying meshes with everything I've seen.

From: http://www.metal-rules.com/interviews/IE_DW.htm interview right before Horror Show.
                    "The amplifier that I use is handmade by a guy in Germany and I'm the only one that's got that. I did the first two albums with just a standard Marshall and production on the first two albums is just hideous anyway. But fuck you gotta figure we had $8000 for our first album and $15,000 for "Stormrider. " On the first one we basically went in and recorded and mixed the whole thing in a week - that's nothing man, it's not much time. And of course we didn't have the experience then that we have now. But with this amp...when the guy heard me play on a radio station in Nuremberg he just kind of freaked out on my style. He makes about 12 amplifiers a year. It's a really small company, he's very detailed and he just said that he wanted to design an amp for me. I told him what I didn't like about my sound and we went back and forth and we finally got it and I'm really happy with my amp.

Do you use those live, or just in the studio?

I use them live too."

"Well, my set-up is pretty simple really. I use a custom made Larry amp with 2
                    straight Marshall 1960 lead series cabinets with 75 watt Celestions. The amp
                    was hand made and customized for my playing style and tonal needs. Larry only
                    makes around 10 to 12 amps a year and the waiting list is very long and they
                    are very expensive. They are however absolute pieces of art electronically.
                    Larry has no desire to become a large company so getting an amp is not easy.
                    Your best bet is to try and meet him at a trade show in Europe if you are
                    serious about having one built. My guitar of choice is and has always been a
                    Gibson Les Paul. Since my neck surgery however, I don't play mine as much as
                    I used to due to the weight of the guitar. Every Iced Earth recording has
                    been done with a Gibson of some make except Alive in Athens which was a BC
                    Rich Ignitor. Even the "Enter the Realm" demo was recorded with an old
                    Explorer of mine. I used the Gibson Gothic Explorer on Demons and Wizards and
                    on Horror Show for most of the rhythm tracks. I did use the Gothic 135 and
                    335 and my Black Beauty on some tracks as well. Also, I used the Gothic V and
                    a few different SG's through a Soldano for the lead guitar melodies on those
                    records. For recording clean parts in the studio I almost always use a Fender
                    Stratocaster. I love the clean "buzzy" tone that only a Strat can get.
                    Depending on the live set up situation, I may use a Roland Jazz Chorus as a
                    clean rig to A\B between. If we are on a support tour or doing festivals I've
                    found the simpler the set up the smoother things run so on those occasions I
                    use the clean channel on my Larry amp and have the front of house engineer
                    chorus the clean guitar. I don't use any rack effects at all, just a wireless
                    and a tuner.
                    My favorite acoustic guitars are without a doubt Taylor. I have a 12 and 6
                    string that I use quite often.
                    That's basically it for gear. I believe less is more when it comes to a
                    guitar rig. I do not recommend rack units and processors for recording. They
                    sound like shit. If you want power you need a powerful tube amp. Often those
                    processors sound like an "attack of the killer mosquitoes" instead of a
                    guitar. Tube power is the only way for me."

Comment

Hey bros of evil shit and tonal chaos.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Well Jon used Larry amps for the longest with a BBE 422 in the loop for his dirty sound...BONE DRY...and a Roland Jazz Chorus for his sparkling clean tones...and a A/B switch for the both and that was it..very bare bones basic!

Then I saw them when Timmy joined...and he had an Uber....I was pleasantly surprised because I just got mine not long before..

I asked Jon how he liked the Uber over the Larry...and his EXACT response to me was..."There is NO comparison"..and that was all...

he did sound exceptionally tight , thick and brutal that night...which made me happy..

I never played or seen a Larry besides his...so I must take his word for it..

BTW...There is NO need for any BBE in the loop of the Uber...The Uber absolutely HATES it....I have tried and it sounded NASTY! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

At Wacken 2000 Jon played a B.C. Rich Warlock with Widow headstock.

Comment

Working...
                        X