Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe this is old news.....................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe this is old news.....................

> The radio station I listen to at work has that syndicated talk show RockLine on Wednesday nights,and last nights guest was David Coverdale. I didn't hear the whole thing,but one point caught my attention. Phone calls are taken at random to ask the artist for the week questions,and this guy asked him who HIS fave of all the guitarists he has worked with was,and the answer was basically "all of them for different reasons,they're all great players,but the guys I have with me now,Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach,inspire me every time we play together". He mentioned Adrian,Vivian,John Sykes,along with Doug and Reb,but didn't acknowledge Steve Vai until Bob Coburn,the host,reminded him of it,then they played a live version of Still Of The Night with Vai,and it was straight up KILLER! Needless to say,I stood still and smoked a cig while zoned in on the radio. I have no idea whether this is common knowledge or not,or even how old this particular show is,but thought it was kinda cool to hear Doug's name,every time I hear it it reminds me of the white 2-hum Soloist with the gold hardware from the Powerlove video. Also,Reb Beach is AMAZING in his versatility,some say Winger sucked but I listen to it for his guitar parts alone,but he has filled in for Lynch and kicked serious ass,and now he's taking up for John Sykes,Vivian,and all the other guys that have played with Whitesnake,all of which wrote some killer stuff. Tommy D.
    "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Re: Maybe this is old news.....................

Whitesnake allways had a killer line-up, the drummers Tommy Aldridge, Cozy Powell etc. cool bass players and almost the best guitar players on the planet. Sykes, Vai, Vandenberg, Campell, DeMartini, Aldrich, Beach etc. And IMO Coverdale is the best singer EVER.
    They did a killer job on the last tour.
    Aldrich and Beach are perfect for Whitesnake.
    Doug's style is similar to Sykes, Les Pauls, blues-pentatonics and alternate picking.
    Reb has a lot of common with Vai, both have fusion/jazz base, killer legato and tapping technique, both are heavy whammy-bar abusers.
    So Doug plays Sykes' solos and Reb palys steve's.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that Doug Aldrich knows every rock lick and trick in the book.
      "POOP"

Comment

Funny that he didn't mention Micky Moody and Bernie Marsden in there. Those guys were the real deal in Whitesnake. Check out "Live...In the Heart of the City". Not shredding stuff, but really good bluesy playing--and they wrote some great stuff with Coverdale. That's when Coverdale was at his best, in my opinion.

Comment

I seen Whitesnake open up for Motley Crue here in the Indy area years ago. I paid the ticket price for whitesnake only and left when whitesnake finished. Didn't stick around for the Crue, didn't like them then and still don't.

Anyways, the lineup with Whitesnake then was, Aldridge on drums, Vivian and Adrian on guitars, Rudy on bass and Cloverdale on vocals. Top notch line up which all showcased their talent. Each had a solo moment, great stuff indeed.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

+1,Pro Fusion!Moody and Marsden hardly ever get any credit,but their styles seemed to mold Whitesnake into what it eventually became................................
            Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Well, I saw Whitesnake with Steve Vai back then and I was bit bored because it was more like Whitesnake featuring Steve Vai.
              Steve Vai kicks ass but not with that band.
              And,Winger did not suck.
              I saw Winger in Live more than 5times on the first and second tour.
              IMO, Reb ruled when he was with Winger.
              And Yes, Doug has always been one of the best players since Lion days.

Comment

I'm a Vai fan but didn't like him in Whitesnake. He took away that classic sound and made it into a Passion and Warfare leftover.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Anyways, the lineup with Whitesnake then was, Aldridge on drums, Vivian and Adrian on guitars, Rudy on bass and Cloverdale on vocals. Top notch line up which all showcased their talent. Each had a solo moment, great stuff indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

i saw that tour, unfotunately don't remember much as i was pretty well drunk and high, but i do remember them blowing motley crue off the stage. i'm a huge campbell fan. i really dug his work with dio. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  Hear the universe scream
                  Bleeding from black holes
                  Whom horns careless
                  And whom God mourns

Comment

Of course he's gonna say who he's playing with now, he wants to keep them happy :

I saw themn on the first super group tour with Vandenberg and Vivian Campbell and in my opinion, Adrian handed Vivian his ass. Vivian didn't even deserve to be on the same stage. I a huge Viv fan from the first couple Dio albums and was surprised by how much better Adrian was, even though I really liked his playing on the Vandenberg lp's. I chalked it up to an off night for Viv because I saw him twice with Dio and he was good both times.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shit, Blackmore's the best of all of em IMO. They must really hate each other for Coverdale not to mention him.
                      http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

David and Sykes aren't very good friends either.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

To chime in about Rock Line...it is a very old show. The first time I heard it, they interviewed Van Halen (minus Eddie) for the 1984 album. It was hilarious. I may have that on cassette somewhere.

If I remember correctly, Fee Waybill (The Tubes) was subbing for Coburn.

Kind of off topic, and not to hijack the thread or anything, but does anyone remember the show "Metal Shop -- The only show with teeth!!!" I loved that show...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Of course he's gonna say who he's playing with now, he wants to keep them happy :

I saw themn on the first super group tour with Vandenberg and Vivian Campbell and in my opinion, Adrian handed Vivian his ass. Vivian didn't even deserve to be on the same stage. I a huge Viv fan from the first couple Dio albums and was surprised by how much better Adrian was, even though I really liked his playing on the Vandenberg lp's. I chalked it up to an off night for Viv because I saw him twice with Dio and he was good both times.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, Adrian was Whitesnakes best "shredder" guitarist, and second only to Sykes (only for songwriting though!)

Comment

Only thing better than Doug's Playing is how cool he is...

Comment

Working...
                              X