Metallica's sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Metallica\'s sound

Well, I got into Metallica way after I began playing. Most of the Metallica I had heard had been through MTV. It just wasn't my type of music. Then someone let me borrow RTL and I was blown away by the record. When I heard FWTBT, I knew that this was something altogether different from what I was accustomed to hearing from them.

You aren't saying that you liked St. Anger better than RTL, are you? Because I could not even listen to that record in its entirety. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I am saying St Anger has my least favorite tone of them, right behind KEA and on 3rd last place: RTL.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I like the MOP tone the best because of the guitar layering. Kill Em All is my favorite for pure raw tone.

Comment

The great metal guitar sounds on albums are entirely studio creations that even those guitarists couldn't recreate live. You're better off listening to their live albums to see what they "really" sound like--and even there, the sounds have often been pretty heavily processed during the mixdown. Who cares if it sounds exactly this or that album? Just get a tone you can live with and crank it!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            The great metal guitar sounds on albums are entirely studio creations that even those guitarists couldn't recreate live. You're better off listening to their live albums to see what they "really" sound like--and even there, the sounds have often been pretty heavily processed during the mixdown. Who cares if it sounds exactly this or that album? Just get a tone you can live with and crank it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, and just a side note i have always loved live music so much better then the albums, there are very few albums out there that i think sound just as good as when they perform live.

Comment

Uhm, I'm sick of this criticism. It seems a-ok for people to spend $10.000 on a Marshall amp or to buy special pick-ups to get as close to Van Halen's or DeMartini's or whoever the hell they want's sound. But when some other names are dropped, it's 'minimizing' and 'tearing down' time.

I think the tone they had on MOP is the best tone for metal I have ever heard. So I think it's only NORMAL that I'd try to recreate the sound, and further enhance it to my own liking. And that's hard enough without people halfly accusing you of being a retard who thinks he'll get the exact tone because he's got a similar amp or guitar...

[/rant]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Uhm, I'm sick of this criticism. It seems a-ok for people to spend $10.000 on a Marshall amp or to buy special pick-ups to get as close to Van Halen's or DeMartini's or whoever the hell they want's sound. But when some other names are dropped, it's 'minimizing' and 'tearing down' time.

I think the tone they had on MOP is the best tone for metal I have ever heard. So I think it's only NORMAL that I'd try to recreate the sound, and further enhance it to my own liking. And that's hard enough without people halfly accusing you of being a retard who thinks he'll get the exact tone because he's got a similar amp or guitar...

[/rant]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't feel that way. I have always thought Metallica had a huge, monsterous tone. If that is your bag, I don't see any problem doing whatever it takes to get that sound that you like.

I have managed to get what I thought was close to it with cheap stuff...same with EVH's tone. Not perfect, but close enough for my own bedroom consumption!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/rant]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think peoples point is you will never get exact, all amps, guitars and even pickups will sound different. Then when they record the mix it so many different ways, and not to mention metallica also use weird combinations, like the preamp of a mark 4 going into a 295 power amp. Basically dont ever expect to get exact, but you can get close enough and be in tonal bliss! Just do what makes you happy.

Comment

As I adressed already Siggy:

[ QUOTE ]
                    And that's hard enough without people halfly accusing you of being a retard who thinks he'll get the exact tone because he's got a similar amp or guitar...

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      As I adressed already Siggy:

[ QUOTE ]
                      And that's hard enough without people halfly accusing you of being a retard who thinks he'll get the exact tone because he's got a similar amp or guitar...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There just trying to give you advice, guitars and amp are small part of the recorded sound, mix down is where alot of tone comes from as well. Hell you could even be given the exact same amp and guitar, the point being EQ'ing, mixdowns etc.. also effect the overall tone, as well as how you play.

Just get close enough to the sound, and dont worry about it so much if so and so cant understand why in the world you would want to get that tone, if it is a tone you want then go for it.

You also have to remember this is a dicussion board, and you are going to hear negative as well as positive feedback, you can either let it bother you or just blow off the negative.

Comment

I understand Siggy, and I understood well before I ever brought this up, that he studio/producing/mixing aspect probably has a greater impact on the overall end tone than the amps and guitars themselves. I can take the negative critics normally, but today I'm very very short fused, and I've got all the right reasons, so I'm ready to burst today. I would have just ignored the bad comments, but today I was the weaker man, sorry. If you don't have anything positive to say, who post at all?

Comment

Hey GOR, this isnt a friendly Metallica or ESP board when you bring one of the two up you are going to get alot of crap you dont want to hear.

Comment

I know, AK. I'm not a Metallica sheep, and even less an ESP Fan! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] So I've got no problem with people hacking into them, that's their own right. My problem lies in the fact that there's an undertone in some posts which basically says "you're a mentally challenged person who thinks that X will transpire with simply buying Y".

But I'm fine now, so let's chill and have fun! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Hey GOR, this isnt a friendly Metallica or ESP board when you bring one of the two up you are going to get alot of crap you dont want to hear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah unfortunaly there are alot of people on this board that have problems when an artist grows musically and there personal taste changes.

I have nothing againt you if you are a throw back from the music you are so fond of when you grew up, however do not put down other peoples music just because you dont like it or relate to it!

It seems alot of people on this board have become there parents, they do the same thing there parents did, put down the music that they dont like and cant understand why anyone would like it.

I am personaly not a big fan of metallicas newer stuff, but that is only because i am not that much of a metal head anymore and my music tastes started to change when metallicas did, they went one direction and i went another. However i do not put them down, they made music that was right for them at the time and i respect there attitude of we make music that reflects how we feel.

Like Mr Keel, i have a feeling in the next ten years you will be seeing James putting out a country album or southern rock album, will i put him down for it, hell no, it is what he digs so more power to him!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Like Mr Keel, i have a feeling in the next ten years you will be seeing James putting out a country album or southern rock album, will i put him down for it, hell no, it is what he digs so more power to him!

[/ QUOTE ]
                                And we'll know when he does, because he'll change his name to Jamie Lee Hetfield. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X