Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallica's sound

Hello all,

does anyone know what is the key behind metallicas sound, i dont listen to metallica anymore , but i never managed to get their sound or even close to it, lets say the sound that black album has enter sandman , sad but true, But on load their sound was the best imo ,songs like poor twisted me and....

Re: Metallica\'s sound

THE KEY is Bob Rock
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

They spent HOURS in the studio, using every amp you can imagine. Then Bob Rock and the guys mixed them all up and produced the shit out of it, producing a really nice sound.

On the Load albums, in some songs, when you hear the riff, that's about a dozen different amps at one time all mixed into each other. And all kinds of guitars etc... as well.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Ohh ,that's what i was afraid of ,so even with triaxis i porbably wouldnt get close Thank you for you help

Comment

Yes you can get pretty close with Triaxis if you have a good power-amp. Triaxis is based on Mark series pres. wich Metallica has used a lot.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Didn't they use triple rectifiers at that time as well?
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks for teh info mates.

Comment

All of the above are correct.

BUt you won't get near the sound with a triaxis. The soundon the Load albums is very complex and just has so much different factors and elements.

The Black Album can be somewhat reached by going for a Mk IV and IIC+ crunch on your triaxis. But also on this album they used A LOT of different amps/mics/guitars/mixings/producings/....

Comment

www.reamp.com
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    All of the above are correct.

BUt you won't get near the sound with a triaxis. The soundon the Load albums is very complex and just has so much different factors and elements.

The Black Album can be somewhat reached by going for a Mk IV and IIC+ crunch on your triaxis. But also on this album they used A LOT of different amps/mics/guitars/mixings/producings/....

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Comment

Ahh, B.S. I could get "Enter Sandman" with my Peavey TransTube Studio 112 and my Strat Neck Pacer. Tune it down, scoop it a bit...it is all in the EQ.

What I want is "For Whom the Bell Tolls". Now that tune moves my bowels.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I wish it were so easy Mike.

For FWTBT you'd need a modded JCM 800 horizontal input with a tubescreamer in front and an EQ in the loop.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I wish it were so easy Mike.

For FWTBT you'd need a modded JCM 800 horizontal input with a tubescreamer in front and an EQ in the loop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the best tone they ever had, period.

I was serious about that Sandman post. Nailed it perfect. I was trying to teach my ex-wife's sister guitar about 5 years ago...she wanted to learn that song. I had never learned it..but she had a Metallica tab book so I gave it a whirl. She almost shit when I got the album tone out of that little amp and that old guitar. I wish I still had that Krammit...real Strat head dual hum Pacer. Cost me $175 in 1995.

Mike
                          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

The RTL sound is nice. Mostly because they still used reverb there, which filled up the sound so much and made it rich.

the MOP tone still slays anything else though, and if they had just used a bit of reverb on that one, that'd be godlike.

Comment

+1 MASTER OF PUPPETS one of the greatest guitar sounds ever captured on tape.This was the sound every guitar player I knew wanted to achieve at the time it came out .I saw them on the same tour (r.i.p. Cliff)this is still one of my favorite concert perfomances ever.MOP [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X