• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Metallica\'s sound

[ QUOTE ]
    What, no cheat sheet?

[/ QUOTE ]
    :lol
    That song is the metal version of hot cross buns.

If you're looking for the Load sound, you're screwed. I've never really liked that tone myself, but to ech his own. You might mess around with some line6 stuff, that would be the only practical way. In fact, I believe they used quite a bit of Line6 stuff for Reload.

As for the Black Album, you're pretty well screwed too. I think the closest you can get is either a rectifier or Marshall of some sort. Give a DSL a shot. As for guitar, get some sort of ESP with EMG's in it, Hetfield usually uses 81's. I have the video "A year in a half in the Life of Metallica", and they had so many fuckin' amps in there. Hammet usually had a bunch of Marshalls. In fact, that's what I saw the most of. Now that I think about it, I saw only one Mesa product in there, I believe it shocked the living fuck out of Hammet just FYI. He spilled some water on the ground and started fucking around with the amp, and it shocked him. Pretty funny, I recommend watching the video. They did record with a lot of different amps and guitars.

I've got to second the best tone for And Justice for All. It's funny, but most everybody else that I talk to seems to dispise that tone. I wasn't much for the bassy sound though, you couldn't even hear Newsted.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      The RTL sound is nice. Mostly because they still used reverb there, which filled up the sound so much and made it rich.

the MOP tone still slays anything else though, and if they had just used a bit of reverb on that one, that'd be godlike.

[/ QUOTE ]

MOP definetly has some ambinet on guitars, I dunno if they used room mics or artifical reverb, but only dry guitar doesn't sound like that.

Anyway one guy nailed almost 100% Load's sound with Soldano SLO 100. I heard it myself.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I heard from multiple sources that they used Mark IIc+'s and Mark IV's for MOP.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          What, no cheat sheet?

[/ QUOTE ]
          :lol
          That song is the metal version of hot cross buns.

If you're looking for the Load sound, you're screwed. I've never really liked that tone myself, but to ech his own. You might mess around with some line6 stuff, that would be the only practical way. In fact, I believe they used quite a bit of Line6 stuff for Reload.

As for the Black Album, you're pretty well screwed too. I think the closest you can get is either a rectifier or Marshall of some sort. Give a DSL a shot. As for guitar, get some sort of ESP with EMG's in it, Hetfield usually uses 81's. I have the video "A year in a half in the Life of Metallica", and they had so many fuckin' amps in there. Hammet usually had a bunch of Marshalls. In fact, that's what I saw the most of. Now that I think about it, I saw only one Mesa product in there, I believe it shocked the living fuck out of Hammet just FYI. He spilled some water on the ground and started fucking around with the amp, and it shocked him. Pretty funny, I recommend watching the video. They did record with a lot of different amps and guitars.

I've got to second the best tone for And Justice for All. It's funny, but most everybody else that I talk to seems to dispise that tone. I wasn't much for the bassy sound though, you couldn't even hear Newsted.

[/ QUOTE ]

DSL wont work , that i know for sure cause i own one.With that you can get close to zakk.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            LOL Shaken or stirred? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Always shaken, stirred Martinis are for rookies!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Ride the lightning and Master of Puppets.My fave Metallica Tones.What the hell,Kill`em All too.I can still remember the first time i heard the tone of Ride the lightning and the descending crunch riff of For Whom The Bell Tolls & being awestruck.
              "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'll have to keep that in mind... since I've never actually had one. My 33rd birthday is in a couple weeks, maybe I'll try one then. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Ride the lightning and Master of Puppets.My fave Metallica Tones.What the hell,Kill`em All too.I can still remember the first time i heard the tone of Ride the lightning and the descending crunch riff of For Whom The Bell Tolls & being awestruck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know they used Marshalls on Kill them all, i am not sure after that what they used, for ride the lightning it still might have been marshalls.

Comment

What about the killer riff that starts Ride The Lightning after the acoustic intro ,Now thats a killer fuck!n tone ,blew me away when I first heard it,of course I was only 14 at the time [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      is that a 84 or 85 gibby v?

[/ QUOTE ]

'84
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

That pic rocked Ron! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about here! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's basically the only thing in the guitarworld that I DO know about! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Kill Em All is pure marshall (modded)

RTL is the same marshall(s) with a tubescreamer in front. James himself says he hates the RTL sound.

MOP is Kirk's IIC+ slaved through a 2203 marshall with an intelliflex EQ in the mix. Hetfield stated multiple times that on MOP he used no reverb at all, because he had been 'afraid' of reverb since RTL. There might have been reverb caused by the mic placement. Live they used colliseum heads for the extra power.

AJFA was also IIC+, but on AJFA they used a VHT 2150 and some mix of Boogie poweramps for the powersection. James scooped his mids and his tone basically slorped up all of Jason's basstones. Lots of people complain about the tone, but I think it's their best tone, next to MOP. MOP has a much fatter, rounder sound and in your face but AJFA is just this HUGE wall of layered and layered and layered crunching, destroying rhythm guitar.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

James hates the RTL tone?

Wow, he hates the best sound his band has ever put down.

That is just sad.

They are all a bunch of whiney-asses anyway. I couldn't believe how much I wanted to climb through my TV and beat them all with a hammer when I was watching "Some Kind of Monster", which I bought because someone gave me a gift certificate to Blockbuster for my B-Day.

Mike

Comment

Yup. Mostly because of the obvious pedalsound on the entire album, he says pedaldistortion just sits on top and sounds like cheap fuzz.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Yup. Mostly because of the obvious pedalsound on the entire album, he says pedaldistortion just sits on top and sounds like cheap fuzz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I am listening to it RIGHT NOW, because I wanted to see what it was about the tone he didn't like. Total B.S., it is fat and nasty, it is a great tone.

And, a Tube Screamer does NOT add any fuzz to the tone. All it does is push the amp some. I used TSs in front on my Marshalls and they never colored the sound with any fuzz...just increased the liquidity of the distortion.

Whatever, he can have his opinions...it is, after all, his music. I still think that RTL is the best sounding record they made.

Mike

Comment

I tend to agree with him though. I never liked the RTL tone that much, and this was before I even knew what the fuck a 'humbucker' was or let alone how to play an E5, in other words I didn't play guitar or anything yet. So my opinion is based solely on the perception my untrained/novice ear had of the tones. And that hasn't changed since, RTL is probably my 3rd last favorite, after KEA and St Anger. MOP and AJFA are 1 & 2. for all the above reasons.

Enough ranting now! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X