Contraband...anyone dig them???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contraband...anyone dig them???

Does anyone like Contraband? I have only heard the single "All the Way From Memphis", but I have always loved that tune. I had no clue who the hell was in the group until I looked it up. Had Traci Guns and Michael Schenker on guitar!! No wonder that song rocks so hard. It has some of the best blues based metal soloing I have ever heard. I wonder what the rest of the CD sounds like, anyone have it???

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Re: Contraband...anyone dig them???

I have it and I loved it from the first time i heard it.

The sappy love ballad is the only song I skip.
    But I think thats cause i had just broken up with someone when the CD came out! ~LOL~ It may really be "OK".

I'll take it in to work and burn ya a copy if you like..........
    Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
    Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I have it and I loved it from the first time i heard it.

The sappy love ballad is the only song I skip.
      But I think thats cause i had just broken up with someone when the CD came out! ~LOL~ It may really be "OK".

I'll take it in to work and burn ya a copy if you like..........

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, that would be killer!!!

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Awesome album. Schenker and Guns play off each other very well, and yes, the ballad is rotten.
        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

And I was always wondering about how the guitar player got that tone....now that I know it was Schenker...I know the setup! Yes, the interplay is nice (at least on that one song) with Guns going for a fatter neck pickup tone and Schenker blazing away.....

Mike

Comment

The singer is from a band called "Shark Island". They were a one-album band in the late 80's. Very good record too if you can find it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The singer is from a band called "Shark Island". They were a one-album band in the late 80's. Very good record too if you can find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I saw that he was the singer from that band. I have heard a few of their songs on "Hair Nation". It also had the bass player from Vixen, right? A famous drummer too...it was an "allstar" lineup type band. Kinda came late in the game, I think 1991.

Mike

Comment

The drummer is Blotz fropm RATT.

I like the singer, Richard Black of (the aforementioned) Shark Island. Shark Island was essentially the "house band" at Gazarri's for years! I'd drive by on the way home from work and they were ALWAYS there!

Spencer Sercomb was the guitar player in Shark Island and he toured with Micheal and Robin McCauley on the acoutic tour. There is a JAP CD of the show recorded in Anaheim CA at the Celebrity Theatre. THe night after I saw them @ the foot of the stage in L.A.. AWESOME!!!

PM coming to you MBrenin
                Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

yeah, that was a cool recording.. had some great stuff on it. I was actually going to say Michaels sound on that was better than on his first couple MSG albums. I really did not dig the production MSG had going until Assult Attack.
                  I was sorry to see they did not do another.

Comment

Great album! I have it too, but only on cassette. I was lucky enough to get the Shark Island - Law of Order on CD way back when as a cut-out. Great album, and $5.95 WELL spent.

Comment

yeah Schenker's my all-time guitar hero so I was on that Contraband right when it came out. I remember driving home from work one day in like 1991, hearing that version of "All the Way from Memphis" and thinking, damn that guitarist is kicking serious ass, then I find out it's Schenker, figures. I went and got the cd that day. I also have the one-song video they put out.

I liked the whole cd except for the ballad, as mentioned. LOL
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Great thread! I just happened across this CD the other day and bought it. What a coincidence! It IS a great cd.

Incidentally - Shark Island is set to release a new cd.

Comment

I just had three extra copies of Contrband...and I just just traded them in..

I would have gave them to you guys...SHIT!!!
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X