Saw Whitesnake last night!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Whitesnake last night!

I saw Whitesnake last night in Green Bay, WI, and it was fantastic.

I knew I was in for at treat when they started the show with the classic Coverdale-era Deep Purple tune, "Burn" (they also threw a bit of "Stormbringer" into the middle of it). Later in the show, they played "Feeling Hot" from Coverdale/Page, which also kicked ass in a major way. Both sounded about 100 times better than the studio versions, and I thought it was really cool that they played a couple of tunes from these great bands, since they have a huge Whitesnake catalog to choose from. They also played all the Whitesnake songs I was hoping to hear. More on that below.

Coverdale sounded fantastic and looked almost the same as he does in their videos. His band was great, too: Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach on guitars, and Tommy Aldridge on drums! I don't think I blinked all night, for fear of missing something. For $20 admission!!! My jaw is still hanging open.

The bassist and keyboardist were unknown to me, but both sounded fine. Whitesnake's truck driver told me that the bassist and keyboardist are brothers, which was kind of interesting. I guess the band travels with one truck and 3 buses - Coverdale gets a bus all to himself. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And after his performance last night, I'd say if that's what he wants, he deserves it. He's one of hard/heavy rock's truly great lead singers IMO.

I'm sorry to say that no Charvels or Jacksons were in sight. Aldrich played Les Pauls all night except for "Slow 'n' Easy," where he played a beat up Telecaster (assuming it had higher action for the slide stuff) - until it cut out right before the solo, in a Tap-esque moment. It turned out really cool, though, as Aldrich got pissed and threw the Tele off the back of the stage, sending it flying over his Marshall stacks, and Reb took over the solo, as a tech got Aldrich another guitar.

Looked like Reb was playing a Koa-bodied Tom Anderson most of the night. He was never on my side of the stage, so I didn't get a really close look, but it looked a lot like a Charvel San Dimas III at first, with the Koa body, gold hardware, etc. Nice axe anyway, with amazing sustain. Oh yeah, it looked like the neck was rosewood, too. Not just the fretboard, the whole neck.

The highlight of the show for me was probably "Crying In the Rain." I love that song, and wasn't sure they'd play it. "Judgment Day" also kicked hard, as did "Still of the Night" (of course), but I knew they'd play those.

The bottom line is that this was a great show, and if Whitesnake comes to your area, I strongly encourage you to check them out.

Re: Saw Whitesnake last night!

They're playing in NJ on July 22. I've seen this lineup before but with Mendoza on bass. Reb's new project ('The Mob') should be killer as well:
    DOUG PINNICK
    bass guitar and vocals
    REB BEACH
    guitar and vocals
    KELLY KEAGGY
    drums and vocals
    TIMOTHY DRURY
    keyboards and vocals

I figured Reb was only using his Suhr koa?
    http://www.suhrguitars.com/images/suhr_full.jpg

That's what uses on stage generally. And I should know, I'm pictured in his 'gear' section [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That's gotta be worth a pair of backstage passes, no? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Great review! I will check them out when they are in my area....
      Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

David Coverdale is the best rock singer EVER PERIOD.

Reb plays with Suhr guitars, the body is made of koa and the neck is made of pao ferro.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

New photos from the 2005 tour here:

http://www.rebbeach.com/photo_gallery_whitesnake.htm

Coutesy of Maz over on the Beach board [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            DOUG PINNICK
            bass guitar and vocals
            REB BEACH
            guitar and vocals

[/ QUOTE ]

No fuggin way, really? King's X is one of my favorite bands ever. This is gonna kick ass!

Comment

Reb was playing the same Suhr that he played when he was with Dokken. Both he and that guitar KILL.

Comment

was there any opening bands that we might know of?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  DOUG PINNICK
                  bass guitar and vocals
                  REB BEACH
                  guitar and vocals

[/ QUOTE ]
                  No fuggin way, really? King's X is one of my favorite bands ever. This is gonna kick ass!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing. But I was too excited to post it. Doug and Reb? Ooh mama. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                  Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

KIck ass..

Me and the wife saw them back in '87 when they opened for Crue "girls , girls , girls" tour...it was a sea of titties..

I was belly to the stage just feet from Coverdale..

The only bad thing was I saw Vivian w /Kramer "nightswan" and not John Sykes ...but he did do a decent job..it just wasn't the same.

Aldrich and Reb are awesome players!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      KIck ass..

Me and the wife saw them back in '87 when they opened for Crue "girls , girls , girls" tour...it was a sea of titties..

I was belly to the stage just feet from Coverdale..

The only bad thing was I saw Vivian w /Kramer "nightswan" and not John Sykes ...but he did do a decent job..it just wasn't the same.

Aldrich and Reb are awesome players!

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that show too, i went to the one in NYC though.

Comment

doug pinnick and kings x are awesome!

Comment

Who is doing the solo in Crying in the Rain?

Comment

Aldrich did the solo to "Crying In the Rain," and he just tore it up. I never realized that solo was that physical and wild. Gave me more respect for Vai (if that's possible), since it fits the song so seamlessly, but is a blast to watch.

Aldrich took most of the more difficult solos, and did the only full-on, accompanied guitar solo (last night anyway - maybe they take turns for different shows). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Style-wise, Aldrich appeared to be a much more physical, aggressive player. Reb did not take as many difficult solos, and style-wise, he appeared way more laid back. Both were great. Both appeared to have the same amps - a row of vintage-looking Marshalls, with small logos, few controls and basketweave cabinets. Aldrich had 4 full stacks (with mics on 3 bottom cabs), and Beach had 3 (with 2 mics on one bottom cab). Neither used effects much. Neither had guitars on stage, other than the ones in their hands, which was too bad IMO, since I like to see the arsenal (maybe this stage was too small).

Yeah, you guys are right about Reb's guitar. I get Tom Anderson and John Suhr mixed up, since both are a guy's name, and both are way out of my financial league. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Quicksilver,
                              Doug Aldrich plays all John Sykes solos because both are Les Paul players and great alt. pickers.
                              Reb Beach plays all Steve Vai solos, because Reb is like Steve, a superstrat player, a whammy bar abuser and has a great fusion/jazz feel in his playing.
                              Doug got to play more leads because Sykes made more good songs than any other dude in Whitesnake and Doug got the gig before Reb.
                              And those stacks you saw on the stage, the heads are fake, they don't use them. Both have their real amps on the rack with all effects and stuff, the racks are not on the stage.
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                              X