Cinderella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinderella

A couple of my buddies attended a Cinderella show last night and it got me to thinking about the time I met the band members back in the late 1980s.

My ex-wife worked for Hilton Hotels as the catering manager, so she was all time getting tickets to concerts, sports events, etc. Boy, did she ever have a surprise for us one evening! Cinderella was staying at the Hilton and were playing a show the following evening. The boys and their road crew were bored and since you can only spend so much time in tit clubs, they contacted the catering manager and she suggested a quiet evening dining on our famous cajun foods. They agreed, however, they also wanted to catch the premier showing of Batman. So, she contacted the local theatre and made the arrangements for a private showing. Then she got me on the phone and told me that we (the family) were also invited and that they'd love for us to come early and ride with them on the tour bus.

My son was about 8 or 9 at the time, but he was beeming with excitement. When we arrived at the hotel, we were immediately taken to the main tour bus. Cinderella's tour manager was a short, robust British chap, and he promptly greeted us at the bus. We climbed aboard and patiently awaited the band's arrival. First to arrive was Tom and Eric followed closely by Jeff and the drummer (can't remember his name).

After introductions, the tour manager asked my son what he wanted to do when he grew up and Mark replied in a thick British voice "play heavy meht al!" The bus erupted with laughter and the band treated us like they had known us forever. The bus driver closed the door and we were off to the theatre. Needless to say, there wasn't a serious bone in the band's body. They cut up throughout the movie, even tossing jelly beans at each other. Of course, there were the general comments about "boning" the movie's co-star, but that was to be expected.

I had noticed that Eric was overly quiet and he informed me in a raspy voice that he was about to lose his voice due to a sore throat. I asked him if he had ever had a "hot toddy" and he replied no. When we arrived at the resturant, I went to the owner (an old buddy) and asked him to make a hot toddy with Jim Beam, water, lemon, and sugar and bring it to the table. Eric sipped on the toddy and halfway through dinner, he was finally able to talk and felt much better. More than likely, he was just drunk! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

After dinner, we headed back towards the hotel with a brief stop at a local store for more toddy ingredients. Eric, feeling better, took Mark II on a tour of the bus showing the Nintendos in each bunk. He then sat down and signed a few shirts and picks for him.

As the evening started to wind down, we exited the bus and Eric told Mark II to keep an eye on the mailbox because he might be getting a surprise. Sure enough, about a month later, we received a thank you note from the band along with numerous signed glossies, drumsticks, t-shirts, and guitar picks.

All in all, it was a splendid evening, one my son will never forget. The guys were class acts, both on and off the stage.

Mr G
    "POOP"

Re: Cinderella

Cool story. It's always nice to hear about "rock stars" being normal, down-to-earth people.

Comment

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

that is some exciting story.

Comment

Wow Mark
          I owned a little bar with a partner Years ago and got a call there from My girlfriends friend that Cinderella had just showed up at another bar about 5 mile away.I quickly gave the resident drunks a ride home and shot over to the other bar to see if We could meet them. Much to My surprise they were all at a table with some people hanging out just like normal people and I went up introduced Myself and explained I grew up were they did and then proceded to close that club like I'd known them forever! I never had a major band buy a beer for Me before nor did I buy beers for a major band before!! LOL. Eric was really really cool. I talked to Him more than anybody else and He signed a pic and wrote a note to My son on it just from Me mentioning that My Son liked their music too. I never forgot how personable they all were and I think that says alot about their character and work ethic.Even though Eric wasnt with them the other night they shined.Tom Keifer still had it and didnt even look any older. I'd bet anything that after the show they made some other fan's nights by taking the time to be "Regular Guys" too.
          Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

Eric is still in the band as far as i know, he has black hair now and its kinda short.The pcs someone posted from last week clearly shows him on bass.He doesnt look anything like he used to since his hair is a different color.I met those guys in 99, totally cool,always puts on a great show.

Comment

Wow
              After posting I read a little on the band and it showed a picture of Eric and that was Him the other night.Bad Seed Your right He looks totally differant.Great Show and I highly recomend going to see them! Dont forget Your peanuts for Quiet Riot..

Comment

I just got a Live DVD from the 91 Heartbreak Station Tour - the sound quality isn't the best, but it's pretty cool to see a full live show (backing singers/dancers and all!)
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I just got a Live DVD from the 91 Heartbreak Station Tour - the sound quality isn't the best, but it's pretty cool to see a full live show (backing singers/dancers and all!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool,Where did Ya get that?

Comment

I saw that at media play last weekend.I almost bought it, but i but the boxed set "hollywood Rocks" instead.The box set was cool since its all 80's hollywood bands demo's and rare cuts.

Comment

Cool stories. Thanks for sharing them.

Comment

It was just available on one of the one line retailers over here (www.play.com)...
                        Popular is not the same as good
                        Rare is not the same as valuable
                        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool,Where did Ya get that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that same DVD at my local music retailer. I haven't had a chance watch it yet though. It looks really cool, I love Cinderella.

Jason

Comment

Great story, glad to hear that those guys are so cool.

Ehhh, Coon Ass chow in Bossier City?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Rock on,

Mike
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                            X